There are 134 users in the forums

Teammate: Kobe headed overseas if lockout occurs

The NBA and its Players Association are preparing for a tough summer of negotiations over a new collective bargaining agreement and most are prepping for a possible lockout in the fall.

Los Angeles Lakers shooting guard Kobe Bryant(notes), for one, is planning to play in Europe if a lockout occurs, a teammate said, according to the New York Daily News.

In a recent conversation about the labor unrest, the teammate said that Bryant said, "I'll play in Europe," the News notes.

"Kobe understands what the players before him did and he feels a responsibility to do the same to the younger guys," the teammate said, according to the paper.

Bryant, of course, knows how the international game works. He spent a few years as a kid living in Italy while his dad played pro ball there.

yahoo sports rumors
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I don't think they can do that.

They'd still be under contract technically right?

And FIBA has rules in place that require teams to honor contracts signed in other leagues
"the teammate"? Did they forget how to spell Lamar or something? Maybe it was the Kardashian part that tripped them up.
Originally posted by crzy:

And FIBA has rules in place that require teams to honor contracts signed in other leagues

The first thing I thought of was FIBA, too. There's no way they'd be cool with that.

You're correct on all counts.
would he really risk an injury too?

I'm not sure. When NHL went into a lockout, a lot of NHL players went and played in Europe, while being under contract.

i think htey can sign a contract as long as

a the lakers are okay with it
b doesnt interfere with nba season
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

i think htey can sign a contract as long as

a the lakers are okay with it
b doesnt interfere with nba season

I'm pretty damn sure A isn't gonna happen.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
would he really risk an injury too?

Kobe has an international pedigree, he would actually enjoy playing overseas and injury would be the last thing on his mind.

now it all makes sense to why Kobe would like to play in Italy

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
One of Kobe's hoes claiming she has his kid? Is this real?
You guys are talking about this why?

He ain't going anywhere; they don't take rapists.
no way this happens....FIBA wouldn't allow it, the Lakers wouldn't sign off on it and Kobe would really do it IMO unless the Euro team payed him like $100M for 1 year or something.
Originally posted by matt49er:
no way this happens....FIBA wouldn't allow it, the Lakers wouldn't sign off on it and Kobe would really do it IMO unless the Euro team payed him like $100M for 1 year or something.

maybe its just me but people talking about Kobe only going to Europe for money I think aren't thinking straight. its where he grew up. It would be a homecoming in a since for him.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by matt49er:

maybe its just me but people talking about Kobe only going to Europe for money I think aren't thinking straight. its where he grew up. It would be a homecoming in a since for him.

Its like Jordan always want to play pro baseball and a series of events lead him to trying that. I think Kobe has always wanted to return to Italy (where he grew up) and play, and if a lock out provided the opportunity I think he would look into it, regardless of $$$$
Share 49ersWebzone