LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Shane Mosley vs. Manny Pacquiao - May 7, 2011

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Originally posted by montana2rice:
you guys know why this fight was put together, right???

the same promoter who promotes for pacquiao is the SAME promoter who promotes for mosley. therefore, DOUBLE MONEY!!! CHA CHING

Arum doesn't promote Mosely dude, he's a "free agent"

Not too happy about this fight...just giving a guy a sh*tload of money to take an a$$whooping and be happy with his "retirement" plan

Should've gone after Martinez, but maybe after his warm-up match, Martinez can fight another marquee fighter and get his name out so Arum will put him into consideration
dude, Martinez was down to fight , but friggin Pacquio wanted a crazy catchweight where Martinez couldn't go down to.

b*tch move by Pac imo. He fights dehydrated fighters all the friggin time.

Dela Hoya had dehydrated needle pokes on his arm before their fight.

You try losing 40 lbs, drinking no water and go toe to toe witha boxer for twelve.

I can't stand Steriod Shane Mosley either. I hope someone gets Knocked out.

Okay, I agree that the Martinez bout should've gone down, but I can see two reasons why it didn't:

1. Martinez isn't known too well to the non-fanatic boxing fan, unlike fighters like Margarito, Hatton, DLH, Cotto, and Mosely. He most likely will need one more "big" bout to get his name out there and develop a US fanbase.

2. Manny clearly stated he didn't wanna defend his junior middleweight belt and wanted to fight back at welterweight around 147lbs. Just b/c he moved up to fight for the belt doesn't mean he has to keep moving up...he clearly didn't wanna move up to 156lbs that Martinez wanted, sorry dude, he's not #1 so he doesn't get to dictate the bout set up.

Hopefully this bout happens after Manny gets his rest fighting Mosely...and as for your comments about Manny being a b*tch, DLH didn't drop 40lbs, and if he didn't wanna fight manny at that weight, he could've said he wanted a higher weight but no, he agreed at the weight (DLH was the more well known commodity at the time).

Also, how about fighting titlists in over 8 weight divisions and winning every one (including against a guy 16lbs heavier and a longer reach)? Please, if you're gonna hate, at least bring some better arguments than "he made someone drop like 40lbs", b/c you just sound like you don't know what you're talking about and I KNOW you know boxing
Best article on Pacman/Mosely bout

I know Rafael can get a little "Pac Fanatic" just like myself and many other Zoners, but I feel he's right in that Arum wanted Mosely from the beginning so he could score the most money since Manny clearly wasn't gonna go past 147lbs for his next bout.

There is one post on the article I like, where the person is showing that maybe Arum and Pacman are trying to build up the superfight between Manny and PBF y having manny destroy the fighters PBF has previously fought (Hatton, DLH, Mosely in May) or had been known to duck (Margarito, Cotto).

I originally thought this was stupid at first, but then remembered PBF fought Marquez and completely embarrassed him (granted at welterweight, but still proves a point).

The dominoes are in place, now we just need it to become official
Originally posted by montana2rice:
you guys know why this fight was put together, right???

the same promoter who promotes for pacquiao is the SAME promoter who promotes for mosley. therefore, DOUBLE MONEY!!! CHA CHING

Arum doesn't promote Mosely dude, he's a "free agent"

Not too happy about this fight...just giving a guy a sh*tload of money to take an a$$whooping and be happy with his "retirement" plan

Should've gone after Martinez, but maybe after his warm-up match, Martinez can fight another marquee fighter and get his name out so Arum will put him into consideration
dude, Martinez was down to fight , but friggin Pacquio wanted a crazy catchweight where Martinez couldn't go down to.

b*tch move by Pac imo. He fights dehydrated fighters all the friggin time.

Dela Hoya had dehydrated needle pokes on his arm before their fight.

You try losing 40 lbs, drinking no water and go toe to toe witha boxer for twelve.

I can't stand Steriod Shane Mosley either. I hope someone gets Knocked out.

Okay, I agree that the Martinez bout should've gone down, but I can see two reasons why it didn't:

1. Martinez isn't known too well to the non-fanatic boxing fan, unlike fighters like Margarito, Hatton, DLH, Cotto, and Mosely. He most likely will need one more "big" bout to get his name out there and develop a US fanbase.

2. Manny clearly stated he didn't wanna defend his junior middleweight belt and wanted to fight back at welterweight around 147lbs. Just b/c he moved up to fight for the belt doesn't mean he has to keep moving up...he clearly didn't wanna move up to 156lbs that Martinez wanted, sorry dude, he's not #1 so he doesn't get to dictate the bout set up.

Hopefully this bout happens after Manny gets his rest fighting Mosely...and as for your comments about Manny being a b*tch, DLH didn't drop 40lbs, and if he didn't wanna fight manny at that weight, he could've said he wanted a higher weight but no, he agreed at the weight (DLH was the more well known commodity at the time).

Also, how about fighting titlists in over 8 weight divisions and winning every one (including against a guy 16lbs heavier and a longer reach)? Please, if you're gonna hate, at least bring some better arguments than "he made someone drop like 40lbs", b/c you just sound like you don't know what you're talking about and I KNOW you know boxing

This again?

1) They sold the Clottey fight with pretty good success. Clottey. Let that sink in for a minute.

They also sold the Cotto fight with great success. What did Cotto do prior to the Manny fight? Get his ass whooped by Margarito, beat some no-name Michael Jennings and get his ass beat by Clottey (getting some hometown loving on the cards). Really, prior to fighting Pac, the Margarito beatdown was the biggest checkmark on his resume, as far as his fame is concerned probably bigger than squeaking by Shane.

After fighting undersized at MW and beating Pavs and what he did to Williams, a fight against Martinez would not be a hard sell at all. Hell it would probably outdo both the DLH and Cotto fights, and maybe even the Mayweather/Mosley fight. It's way easier to sell than any of the 3 opponents he chose from.

What sells a fight is intrigue, yes to the fans that follow boxing closely some of his recent choices may not have been as exciting as promotions led you to believe, but the majority of the ppv buys come from the casual fan. And if you can convince them that Pac faces some real danger(like Arum has been able to do with poor opposition), you can get your desired PPV numbers. If Martinez is not an intriguing matchup, I don't know what is.

2) Martinez wants to fight him at 154... or 156 if Pac decides to challenge him for the Middleweight belt. Pac's choice. What's the problem? Pac has no problem going up a few pounds going up against a poor opponent to pick up a title. Why not, you know, fight the #1 contender in the division that he is a champion at.

If I was Pac... and Arum... I would think twice about fighting Martinez too.
[ Edited by silkyjohnson on Dec 22, 2010 at 4:41 AM ]
What a weak fight. I was hoping for a Pac vs. Berto fight.
Mosley as next opponent =

Watching Pacquiao destroy yet another opponent =
Originally posted by mcbaes72:

This!!
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
LOL

Who wins this fight?
Manny Pacquiao 90%
Shane Mosley 10%

I don't know much about this fighting stuff, but from what I hear from a co-worker of mine, Pacquiao -- which I perceived the first time I heard it, as Pac Yao .. funny story -- the guy is a beast.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
LOL

Who wins this fight?
Manny Pacquiao 90%
Shane Mosley 10%

I don't know much about this fighting stuff, but from what I hear from a co-worker of mine, Pacquiao -- which I perceived the first time I heard it, as Pac Yao .. funny story -- the guy is a beast.

And he's a guy that you see for the first time and think "I can beat this lil midget's ass"
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

• Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SF69ers:
What a weak fight. I was hoping for a Pac vs. Berto fight.

same here man

This!!

lol

these

I like watching Pac fight.

Fu*k it.

I hope Pac wins by destruction. Dude reminds me of Bruce Lee.

I'm tired of hearing peeps say (not you guys,but people in my area ) that Pac doesn't fight blacks or whatever, yet he fought a scared Clottey.

This!!

lol

these

Fu*k it.

I'm tired of hearing peeps say (not you guys,but people in my area ) that Pac doesn't fight blacks or whatever, yet he fought a scared Clottey.

I'm a huge Pac fan and I understand that this fight would probably bring the biggest purse, but I really hope he gets Berto or Martinez next.

This!!

lol

these

Fu*k it.

I'm a huge Pac fan and I understand that this fight would probably bring the biggest purse, but I really hope he gets Berto or Martinez next.

at least he's boxing though.

Unlike Floyd.

I don't know why FLoyd seems to be ducking Pac. Floyd is damn good and I think he can stand a good chance at beating Pac.

Floyd outboxed Marquez,Marquez beat Pac (IMO)

This!!

lol

these

Fu*k it.

at least he's boxing though.

Unlike Floyd.

I don't know why FLoyd seems to be ducking Pac. Floyd is damn good and I think he can stand a good chance at beating Pac.

Floyd outboxed Marquez,Marquez beat Pac (IMO)

Everyone would love to see that fight, but it's evident that Floyd cares more about his undefeated record than anything else.

Btw, Floyd was also bigger than Marquez.
Originally posted by Amir_Mamu:
Booooo this fight. Mosley looked awful against Mayweateher. He looked awful against Mora and will look even more awful against Pac-Man. I really wish they would have chosen Marquez. If they didn't wanna drop weight and stay at Welterweight, then why not give Berto a shot?

Mosley is past his prime. He showed that in the last two fights. I was really hoping for Top Rank to put someone better against Pacquio. Oh well. Should be a easy win for Manny.

They're just filling in the holes until Mayweather takes his head out of his ass and fights Pacquiao. Anything short of Mayweather is a disappointment in terms of what the fans want to see, including Berto.
Share 49ersWebzone