LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Shane Mosley vs. Manny Pacquiao - May 7, 2011

Shane Mosley Says Fight With Manny Pacquiao Is 'Done' Deal

By Lem Satterfield
Boxing Editor

Manny Pacquiao will defend his WBO welterweight title against Shane Mosley on May 7 at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas, according to Mosley.

The 32-year-old Pacquiao (52-3-23, 38 knockouts) also holds the WBC junior middleweight (154 pounds) belt, but that is not on the line, according to Mosley (46-6-1, 39 KOs) and another source familiar with the deal.

"It's done. I'm fighting Many Pacquiao on May 7," said the 39-year-old Mosley.

'We came to an agreement today, in fact, just a few minutes ago. Bob Arum, James Prince and I," said Mosley. "We sat down, and we came to an agreement. The only thing that I have to do now is to sign it. Bob Arum is writing it all up right now."

Mosley was the main subject of conversation as the next opponent for Pacquiao during last week's meetings between Pacquiao, Top Rank Promotions CEO Bob Arum and Pacquiao's adviser Michael Koncz. It produced a counter proposal that had been presented to Mosley's adviser James Prince for approval, Koncz told FanHouse on Tuesday.

Mosley was chosen over 37-year-old WBO and WBA lightweight king Juan Manuel Marquez (51-5-1, 38 KOs) and 27-year-old WBC welterweight belt-holder Andre Berto (27-0, 21 KOs), Mosley said.

Mosley also confirmed that his purse, up front, stands to be around $5 million against Pacquiao. But with incentives, Mosley could wind up earning a career-high amount, surpassing the previous career-best of $7 million that he pocketed after his unanimous decision loss to Floyd Mayweather (41-0, 25 KOs), who received a non-heavyweight record guarantee of $22.5 million.

"That's still accurate. We came to an agreement with everything involved, including the financial end of it," Mosley said of the numbers pertaining to his purse.

"We're looking to start a promotional campaign probably in early to mid-February, so there will be a press tour," said Mosley. "But the main thing is that I got the fight on May 7, and me and Bob and James Prince, we're all in agreement on everything. I think that I can go in and sign it in about two days or so. But the bottom line is that it's done."

Link

Sweet!! Go Pac!

if Mayweather will duck you, go get the next guy! Can't wait!
Not fond of seeing Pac getting a truckload of money fighting a 39-year old that lost a lopsided decision to Floyd Mayweather a year ago and looked awful against "The Contender" champion Sergio Mora. Meh, I guess there's no one else to fight though since Mayweather's waiting on his own trial.
LOL

Who wins this fight?
Manny Pacquiao 90%
Shane Mosley 10%

Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

• Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Booooo this fight. Mosley looked awful against Mayweateher. He looked awful against Mora and will look even more awful against Pac-Man. I really wish they would have chosen Marquez. If they didn't wanna drop weight and stay at Welterweight, then why not give Berto a shot?

Mosley is past his prime. He showed that in the last two fights. I was really hoping for Top Rank to put someone better against Pacquio. Oh well. Should be a easy win for Manny.
Originally posted by Amir_Mamu:
If they didn't wanna drop weight and stay at Welterweight, then why not give Berto a shot?

Berto would obviously be a wiser choice, but his handlers insist he should be defending against junior welterweights.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
If they didn't wanna drop weight and stay at Welterweight, then why not give Berto a shot?

Berto would obviously be a wiser choice, but his handlers insist he should be defending against junior welterweights.

I don't buy that. Berto, along with Mosley and Marquez, put in bids to fight Pacquio. So obviously, he was an option. I just think Bob Arum wanted Manny to fight the biggest name of those three to generate the biggest revenue possible. Not a knock on Manny at all because he's proven he'll fight anyone. I just sometimes hate Bob Arum and the fights he chooses for Manny.
[ Edited by Amir_Mamu on Dec 21, 2010 at 7:31 PM ]
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:

I don't buy that. Berto, along with Mosley and Marquez, put in bids to fight Pacquio. So obviously, he was an option. I just think Bob Arum wanted Manny to fight the biggest name of those three to generate the biggest revenue possible. Not a knock on Manny at all because he's proven he'll fight anyone. I just sometimes hate Bob Arum and the fights he chooses for Manny.

Quote:
I just think Bob Arum wanted Manny to fight the biggest name of those three to generate the biggest revenue possible.

This.

you guys know why this fight was put together, right???

the same promoter who promotes for pacquiao is the SAME promoter who promotes for mosley. therefore, DOUBLE MONEY!!! CHA CHING
Originally posted by montana2rice:

the same promoter who promotes for pacquiao is the SAME promoter who promotes for mosley. therefore, DOUBLE MONEY!!! CHA CHING

Arum doesn't promote Mosely dude, he's a "free agent"

Not too happy about this fight...just giving a guy a sh*tload of money to take an a$$whooping and be happy with his "retirement" plan

Should've gone after Martinez, but maybe after his warm-up match, Martinez can fight another marquee fighter and get his name out so Arum will put him into consideration
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

Not too happy about this fight...just giving a guy a sh*tload of money to take an a$$whooping and be happy with his "retirement" plan

Should've gone after Martinez, but maybe after his warm-up match, Martinez can fight another marquee fighter and get his name out so Arum will put him into consideration
dude, Martinez was down to fight , but friggin Pacquio wanted a crazy catchweight where Martinez couldn't go down to.

b*tch move by Pac imo. He fights dehydrated fighters all the friggin time.

Dela Hoya had dehydrated needle pokes on his arm before their fight.

You try losing 40 lbs, drinking no water and go toe to toe witha boxer for twelve.

I can't stand Steriod Shane Mosley either. I hope someone gets Knocked out.
  • BenQ
  • Veteran
lame
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

dude, Martinez was down to fight , but friggin Pacquio wanted a crazy catchweight where Martinez couldn't go down to.

b*tch move by Pac imo. He fights dehydrated fighters all the friggin time.

Dela Hoya had dehydrated needle pokes on his arm before their fight.

You try losing 40 lbs, drinking no water and go toe to toe witha boxer for twelve.

I can't stand Steriod Shane Mosley either. I hope someone gets Knocked out.

I don't like the Shane fight either, but come on, saying Pac is pulling a b***h move by not fighting a guy who outpointed and outclassed Kelly Pavlik at middleweight is insane.
Share 49ersWebzone