• Veteran
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by socalfan21:
You do realize Real Madrid is in first and have the best 1-2 scorers in the world...

I didn't know they have the best 1-2 scorers...please enlighten me.

He must be referring to Ronaldo and Higuain

lol...they are the best 1-2 scorers? hahahahaha hilarious!

uhh yeah, check the stats

Brandon Lloyd is the best WR in the NFL, check the stats

Peyton Manning is the top rated QB, AP's the leading rusher, what's your point?

I thought my point was very clear. I will write it for you since you failed to analyze it. Stats can be misleading. Do you really think Brandon Lloyd is the best WR? Stats will also show that Stephen Tulloch is a better LB than Willis too.

Ronaldo and Higuain - best 1-2 scorers - check the stats

Anyway, thanks for the laughs. Enjoyed it.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
I just learned...Luis Scola is the 3rd best scorer in the league. Check the stats.
You do realize Real Madrid is in first and have the best 1-2 scorers in the world...

I thought my point was very clear. I will write it for you since you failed to analyze it. Stats can be misleading. Do you really think Brandon Lloyd is the best WR? Stats will also show that Stephen Tulloch is a better LB than Willis too.

I don't see a better duo out there.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

9 games for Messi and 11 for Villa - they have 17 goals
13 games for Ronaldo and 12 games for Higuain - they have 19 goals

Even statically, you guys don't really have the best 1-2 scorers. Ronaldo is great, and IMO the 2nd best player in the World. Higuain on the other hand is average at best. He misses so many chances, I don't know if there is another forward who misses more.

Villa is new in Barca and Messi and Villa are finally showing some chemistry between. But, even Barca doesn't have top 1-2 scorers in my opinion. Scoring goals in La Liga is a lot easier than in EPL or Serie A.

Drogba & Anelka - there isn't a more feared duo even though these guys are gettin' up in age. They don't miss a lot chances, and have been doing it for years. What's even more impressive, they get plenty of assists as well.

Eto & Milito is another duo that one of the best last year if not the best. Milito hasn't played his best yet, but we're only 8-9 games into the season.

Rooney & Barbetov are real good - and if this kid Hernandez continues to get a lot of playing time when Rooney comes back - watch out. They will be a scoring machine.

Ibra and Pato can be really good. They haven't had a lot of time to gel yet, but they are getting there. Starting to score goals together. They will be better than Eto and Milito very soon.

Gerrard and Torres have had a lot of injuries, otherwise they'd be up there. You put these guys on Real or Barca's squad, Torres will score 40 goals. He is the best pure scorer in the World for last couple years, and Gerrard is probably one of the best set-up man in the World.

Those are just from the top of my head. Scoring in Serie A and EPL is tough man. The game is very physical and lot of strikers get injured often because defenders are bigger, stronger, faster, and nastier than those in la liga.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Nov 2, 2010 at 1:44 AM ]

Even statically, you guys don't really have the best 1-2 scorers. Ronaldo is great, and IMO the 2nd best player in the World. Higuain on the other hand is average at best. He misses so many chances, I don't know if there is another forward who misses more.

Villa is new in Barca and Messi and Villa are finally showing some chemistry between. But, even Barca doesn't have top 1-2 scorers in my opinion. Scoring goals in La Liga is a lot easier than in EPL or Serie A.

Drogba & Anelka - there isn't a more feared duo even though these guys are gettin' up in age. They don't miss a lot chances, and have been doing it for years. What's even more impressive, they get plenty of assists as well.

Eto & Milito is another duo that one of the best last year if not the best. Milito hasn't played his best yet, but we're only 8-9 games into the season.

Rooney & Barbetov are real good - and if this kid Hernandez continues to get a lot of playing time when Rooney comes back - watch out. They will be a scoring machine.

Ibra and Pato can be really good. They haven't had a lot of time to gel yet, but they are getting there. Starting to score goals together. They will be better than Eto and Milito very soon.

Gerrard and Torres have had a lot of injuries, otherwise they'd be up there. You put these guys on Real or Barca's squad, Torres will score 40 goals. He is the best pure scorer in the World for last couple years, and Gerrard is probably one of the best set-up man in the World.

Those are just from the top of my head. Scoring in Serie A and EPL is tough man. The game is very physical and lot of strikers get injured often because defenders are bigger, stronger, faster, and nastier than those in la liga.

Thing is though that's like saying, for example, Wade and Pippen is a better duo or on par with Jordan and Pippen. But they're not even close, even if their stats are similar. Why? The Jordan factor. You can team up any of the elite shooting guards with Pippen but they'll never even come close to an MJ/Pippen duo regardless of similar stats. Ronaldo being Jordan in a futbol equivalent comparison.

Downplay Higuain all you want, but the dude, at only 22 years of age, is coming into his own. He played a pretty damn good world cup and continues to ball it up after the fact and prior. Just 'cuz Higuain will never get the recognition of Villa, who plays in his home country, and happens to have a better all-around international squad around him, and didn't have to share the spotlight until now, doesn't mean he ain't just as good.
[ Edited by silkyjohnson on Nov 2, 2010 at 2:06 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Thing is though that's like saying, for example, Wade and Pippen is a better duo or on par with Jordan and Pippen. But they're not even close, even if their stats are similar. Why? The Jordan factor. You can team up any of the elite shooting guards with Pippen but they'll never even come close to an MJ/Pippen duo regardless of similar stats. Ronaldo being Jordan in a futbol equivalent comparison.

Downplay Higuain all you want, but the dude, at only 22 years of age, is coming into his own. He played a pretty damn good world cup and continues to ball it up after the fact and prior. Just 'cuz Higuain will never get the recognition of Villa, who plays in his home country, and happens to have a better all-around international squad around him, and didn't have to share the spotlight until now, doesn't mean he ain't just as good.

Man...Higuain had a terrible WC and this is coming from a huge fan of Argentina! He missed so many easy goals - it's not even funny. Made me almost rip my hair out. Higuain is not even close to as good as Villa is...Higuain is average at best, and shouldn't have been starting in the WC squad with Milito and Kun on the bench. Marodona was my favorite player of all time, but he is the worst coach I've ever seen in any sport.

Plus, I gave you stats as well. The duo statically is not better. They have played 3 more games together than Messi and Villa and have only 2 more goals. At best, they are on par with Messi and Villa - and I think there are 2-3 better duos than them.

I thought we were talkin' about purely scorers. I don't know how the Jordan/Pippen argument fits in - because what really made them the best duo was because of their defense.

Higuain is - there were times I defended him during the WC but seriously, the more I saw him in the WC the more I realized that he should have been on the bench.

...and your Jordan example doesn't work. Jordan was the greatest basketball player of all time. Ronaldo is not even the best right now.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Nov 2, 2010 at 3:20 AM ]

Man...Higuain had a terrible WC and this is coming from a huge fan of Argentina! He missed so many easy goals - it's not even funny. Made me almost rip my hair out. Higuain is not even close to as good as Villa is...Higuain is average at best, and shouldn't have been starting in the WC squad with Milito and Kun on the bench. Marodona was my favorite player of all time, but he is the worst coach I've ever seen in any sport.

Plus, I gave you stats as well. The duo statically is not better. They have played 3 more games together than Messi and Villa and have only 2 more goals. At best, they are on par with Messi and Villa - and I think there are 2-3 better duos than them.

I thought we were talkin' about purely scorers. I don't know how the Jordan/Pippen argument fits in - because what really made them the best duo was because of their defense.

Higuain is - there were times I defended him during the WC but seriously, the more I saw him in the WC the more I realized that he should have been on the bench.

...and your Jordan example doesn't work. Jordan was the greatest basketball player of all time. Ronaldo is not even the best right now.

I meant to exclude Messi from the comparison of course. Ronaldo/Messi will take turns being the best, but they're both far and away better than the rest, hence the Jordan comparison. I meant to use Jordan for comparison to the rest of the duos you posted, not Messi really, guess I shoulda been more clear on that.

And come on, to say Higuain is when he's putting up better stats than Villa at the same age and comparable to today's Villa, or stats comparable to the top goal scorers is a little farfetched if you ask me. Sure he may miss a shot or two, but that's not reason enough to just dismiss him. By the way you see it, he's the worst player to ever put up 20+ goal seasons. Don't let the anti-RM bias cloud your vision, man.
Originally posted by 1251alex:

the 90s was the golden era of bball for me, sue me
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

I meant to exclude Messi from the comparison of course. Ronaldo/Messi will take turns being the best, but they're both far and away better than the rest, hence the Jordan comparison. I meant to use Jordan for comparison to the rest of the duos you posted, not Messi really, guess I shoulda been more clear on that.

And come on, to say Higuain is when he's putting up better stats than Villa at the same age and comparable to today's Villa, or stats comparable to the top goal scorers is a little farfetched if you ask me. Sure he may miss a shot or two, but that's not reason enough to just dismiss him. By the way you see it, he's the worst player to ever put up 20+ goal seasons. Don't let the anti-RM bias cloud your vision, man.

Trust me bro, Argentina is the 1st team I root for. I'm not letting my RM bias cloud my vision. Sure, that smiley was a little over the top, but I believe Higuain is not a very good striker. I'm sure you don't have the time to look up the WC thread, but I defended Higuain several times in the thread, only to come to conclusion later that he should have not played for Argentina and should have been in the French squad.

I respect Real, and I love watching them play. Of course, as a Barca fan - I curse at them but in my heart I truly respect them because there have been so many players on that team that I really like. Even now, I love Sergio Ramos, I like Kaka, and Di Maria and Ronaldo is always fun to watch (except the flops).

Real have had the best duo on so many teams, this duo is not even close. The biggest thing that scares me about Real this season is - them replacing Higuain with someone like Llorente or Forlan.

One thing I like about Higuain is this - he puts himself in good positions to have opportunities, but the kid is a poor finisher. I would drive myself nuts if he ever played for Barca.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
BARCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
BARCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

total pwnage
Share 49ersWebzone