• Veteran
Originally posted by domesik:
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
Not this s**t again

This s**t always.

People don't want to believe their team lost because another one was better. It has to be a conspiracy. The fact that Kobe is still winning, and their team fizzled out, should convince Kings fans that there was no conspiracy, but it won't.

That year the Kings were, maybe not the better team per say, but every bit as good. And they had a deciding game taken from them. You all seem to recall a bad call here or there, but that's a tad different than a string of bad calls that changed the outcome of a game that was ready to be put in the books.

I agree that the Kings were every bit as good as the Lakers that year, but how was that game ready to be put in the books? I don't think the Kings had more than a 6 point lead at any point in the second half.

And as has been mentioned before, the Lakers got totally screwed at the end of Game 5, as well as the entirety of that game. Shaq, in his prime, played 32 minutes, shot one free throw, and fouled out.

No one talks or cares about that game because the Lakers won the series.

Since we are going into detail here why don't you rewatch the 2nd half of game 4 when the Kings were blowing the Fakers out and Phil switched Kobe to guard Bibby in the second half and Kobe fouled Bibby SO MANY EFFIN TIMES that even Bill Walton was saying on TV "what is going on, those are fouls, you have to call that". And I love the inbounds play in game 6 where Kobe almost BREAKS BIBBY'S NOSE with an elbow but Bibby gets a foul (In addition, a foul was called against Mike Bibby of the Kings after he was shoved and elbowed by Kobe Bryant, denying the Kings an opportunity to try for a tying basket) or my favorite one on all. Game 6, Pollard is in the lane stationary with arms straight up (and why this is bad is that the NBA's camera was in perfect position to see this phantom call) Shaq catches the pass and starts to turn around for a short hook shot (about 6-8 feet from the basket) now understand, there is LITERALLY 3 feet between theses two players, there was NO contact between these to on this play. Whistle, foul, but wait, upon replay you can clearly see that Dick Bavetta is raising his arm to start to make the foul call BEFORE SHAQ EVEN FINISHES TURNING AROUND FOR THE SHOT. And, again, from the camera you can see the POLLARD never touches him. Not with a body, arm anything. That call was coming no matter what.........

"Referees A, F and G were officiating a playoff series between Teams 5 and 6 in May of 2002. It was the sixth game of a seven-game series, and a Team 5 victory that night would have ended the series. However, Tim learned from Referee A that Referees A and F wanted to extend the series to seven games. Tim knew referees A and F to be 'company men,' always acting in the interest of the NBA, and that night, it was in the NBA's interest to add another game to the series. Referees A and F heavily favored Team 6. Personal fouls [resulting in obviously injured players] were ignored even when they occurred in full view of the referees. Conversely, the referees called made-up fouls on Team 5 in order to give additional free throw opportunities for Team 6. Their foul-calling also led to the ejection of two Team 5 players. The referees' favoring of Team 6 led to that team's victory that night, and Team 6 came back from behind to win that series."

Look Laker fans, you have won 10 championships in the last 30 years. You average one every 3 years, you are one of the most storied franchises in all of sports but for the love of God I don't understand why you guys defend 2002. All the Kings wanted (and their fans) was an even chance to show that they were the better team, and they didn't get that. And that pisses off some Kings fans to this day. I mean, Laker fans are really the only ones in the country (except the NBA, of course) that claims that 2002 was not fixed.

Anyhoo, Go Giants!!!!

• Otter
  • Veteran

He'd have to be making a TON of money gambling, considering a starter would likely make a lot of money. If a starting NBA player was even accused of something like that, his potential earnings would drop significantly.

I'm sure just not being a part of a point-shaving scheme would generate more money than gambling on basketball games; especially for a starter. I could see why a ref would, because they aren't making millions, but not a player, and definitely not a starter.

You're assuming that the average NBA player is intelligent enough and forward thinking enough to consider his future earning potential. I don't think most professional athletes are capable of that. I think these sorts of scams could be more easily generated in college for the reason you point out.

You're right, the referees are the better target. And again, I think basketball is the easier to fix. In basketball, there are 3 referees, where as in football, there is the ref, the umpire, line judges, back judges, etc.
Not this s**t again

This s**t always.

People don't want to believe their team lost because another one was better. It has to be a conspiracy. The fact that Kobe is still winning, and their team fizzled out, should convince Kings fans that there was no conspiracy, but it won't.

That year the Kings were, maybe not the better team per say, but every bit as good. And they had a deciding game taken from them. You all seem to recall a bad call here or there, but that's a tad different than a string of bad calls that changed the outcome of a game that was ready to be put in the books.

I agree that the Kings were every bit as good as the Lakers that year, but how was that game ready to be put in the books? I don't think the Kings had more than a 6 point lead at any point in the second half.

And as has been mentioned before, the Lakers got totally screwed at the end of Game 5, as well as the entirety of that game. Shaq, in his prime, played 32 minutes, shot one free throw, and fouled out.

Since we are going into detail here why don't you rewatch the 2nd half of game 4 when the Kings were blowing the Fakers out and Phil switched Kobe to guard Bibby in the second half and Kobe fouled Bibby SO MANY EFFIN TIMES that even Bill Walton was saying on TV "what is going on, those are fouls, you have to call that". And I love the inbounds play in game 6 where Kobe almost BREAKS BIBBY'S NOSE with an elbow but Bibby gets a foul (In addition, a foul was called against Mike Bibby of the Kings after he was shoved and elbowed by Kobe Bryant, denying the Kings an opportunity to try for a tying basket) or my favorite one on all. Game 6, Pollard is in the lane stationary with arms straight up (and why this is bad is that the NBA's camera was in perfect position to see this phantom call) Shaq catches the pass and starts to turn around for a short hook shot (about 6-8 feet from the basket) now understand, there is LITERALLY 3 feet between theses two players, there was NO contact between these to on this play. Whistle, foul, but wait, upon replay you can clearly see that Dick Bavetta is raising his arm to start to make the foul call BEFORE SHAQ EVEN FINISHES TURNING AROUND FOR THE SHOT. And, again, from the camera you can see the POLLARD never touches him. Not with a body, arm anything. That call was coming no matter what.........

"Referees A, F and G were officiating a playoff series between Teams 5 and 6 in May of 2002. It was the sixth game of a seven-game series, and a Team 5 victory that night would have ended the series. However, Tim learned from Referee A that Referees A and F wanted to extend the series to seven games. Tim knew referees A and F to be 'company men,' always acting in the interest of the NBA, and that night, it was in the NBA's interest to add another game to the series. Referees A and F heavily favored Team 6. Personal fouls [resulting in obviously injured players] were ignored even when they occurred in full view of the referees. Conversely, the referees called made-up fouls on Team 5 in order to give additional free throw opportunities for Team 6. Their foul-calling also led to the ejection of two Team 5 players. The referees' favoring of Team 6 led to that team's victory that night, and Team 6 came back from behind to win that series."

Look Laker fans, you have won 10 championships in the last 30 years. You average one every 3 years, you are one of the most storied franchises in all of sports but for the love of God I don't understand why you guys defend 2002. All the Kings wanted (and their fans) was an even chance to show that they were the better team, and they didn't get that. And that pisses off some Kings fans to this day. I mean, Laker fans are really the only ones in the country (except the NBA, of course) that claims that 2002 was not fixed.

Anyhoo, Go Giants!!!!

Look....You guys got all the calls in Game 5, (Game 2 was dubious as well) and shot 30 free throws in a Game 7 that went to overtime. Had you hit even 70% of those, you would have won the series. Despite all of the whining over the years, the Kings were never up more than 4-6 points in that 4th quarter of Game 6. Judging by the bricks from the FT line in Game 7, and Doug Christie & Peja tossing up multiple AIRBALLS down the stretch of that game, your boys didn't have the sack to close the Lakers out.

But it's a lot easier to act like they were victims than to remember their balls shrinking when it mattered most.

If you really think that the league fixed the series, risking their entire business model, for the sake of the Lakers playing 4 extra games (how big do you think the benefit of those 4 games was, exactly? ), AND you think that they left themselves such a slight margin for error that Game 7 goes to overtime...ummm, okay.

And I couldn't give two s**ts what the general public thinks. The general public is f**king stupid.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Not this s**t again

This s**t always.

Anyhoo, Go Giants!!!!

Look....You guys got all the calls in Game 5, (Game 2 was dubious as well) and shot 30 free throws in a Game 7 that went to overtime. Had you hit even 70% of those, you would have won the series. Despite all of the whining over the years, the Kings were never up more than 4-6 points in that 4th quarter of Game 6. Judging by the bricks from the FT line in Game 7, and Doug Christie & Peja tossing up multiple AIRBALLS down the stretch of that game, your boys didn't have the sack to close the Lakers out.

But it's a lot easier to act like they were victims than to remember their balls shrinking when it mattered most.

If you really think that the league fixed the series, risking their entire business model, for the sake of the Lakers playing 4 extra games (how big do you think the benefit of those 4 games was, exactly? ), AND you think that they left themselves such a slight margin for error that Game 7 goes to overtime...ummm, okay.

And I couldn't give two s**ts what the general public thinks. The general public is f**king stupid.

Originally posted by Otter:
Originally posted by Otter:
Not this s**t again

This s**t always.

I agree in general. But look at how many of these involve basketball. Refs play too big of a role in those games, and with only 5 players on the court, each person can have that much more of an impact as well. Point shaving, has occurred in basketball. Referees have influenced games, Donaghy.

The difference between basketball and football is that you can easily see almost all of the action on a basketball court. We see a very small percentage of what's actually going on in football, due to camera angles (don't see WRs & DBs) or having a lot of people clustered together (O-Line vs. D-Line)

Considerably more money is gambled on football, and there are plenty of opportunities for a crooked ref to impact the outcome of a game without ever getting caught or noticed by the fans. There are also a lot fewer scoring opportunities, giving the ref a much greater chance of effecting the outcome.

There are a lot more 50/50 calls in b-ball than in football as well. People complain about basketball because they can see just about everything, and the nature of the sport leads to blurry lines.

I'd guess that football's fixed a lot more often than basketball. More money on the line, less likelihood of anyone noticing.

I agree that more money is gambled on football. But I don't think fixing could be as prevalent as it could be in basketball. (that was awkwardly worded, but that's because I agree with pants post. I don't think it occurs in either sport to a degree that people some people suggest)

In football you would have to get greater participation from players on the same team. You couldn't bribe a single o-lineman in a point shaving scheme, as they don't have any impact on the defensive side of the ball. It has been done of course, I think BC was guilty of it back in the day, and that guy that played for the colts, his name is escaping me.

Contrast that to basketball, that if you want to effect the outcome for one team you could in theory bribe one guy, one of the starting 5. What happens if the 2-guard decides to tank a game compared to a HB in football.

Probably a discussion better facilitated in a bar compared to a message board. Up until the first bottle is broken on the table and someone is stabbed with it of course.

I was moreso referring to the refs. I agree that basketball players are easier targets than football players.

However, football refs would be an easy mark. More money at stake, and it isn't hard to call holding or some other infraction when you see a big play developing, or to let something go, depending upon whose side you're on. And those scoring plays are a lot more important in football than in basketball.

It'd be very difficult to bust a football ref for fixing a game.
Not this s**t again

This s**t always.

Anyhoo, Go Giants!!!!

Whatever makes you sleep better at night is good with me. I long ago stopped wasting my energy on this debate. You are a Lakers fan and will never remember or see that series with an unbiased mind so I bid you good day sir.

Go Niners.
Not this s**t again

This s**t always.

Anyhoo, Go Giants!!!!

Whatever makes you sleep better at night is good with me. I long ago stopped wasting my energy on this debate. You are a Lakers fan and will never remember or see that series with an unbiased mind so I bid you good day sir.

Go Niners.

Really? Cuz I just read 3 bitter paragraphs that contradict this.
Not this s**t again

This s**t always.

Anyhoo, Go Giants!!!!

Go Niners.

This is always the reaction I hear from Kings fans as soon as Game 5 or Game 7 is brought up. It's the usual, "oh, you're just a Laker fan" cop out once you actually have to support your opinion. Furthermore, 82games.com did an extensive analysis of Game 6, and concluded that there a conspiracy was very unlikely. Maybe they're just Laker fans too. Here's an excerpt...

Quote:
Yes at a glance you can see the Lakers got some advantage from the calls down the stretch, but if Bavetta was really trying to rig the game, would he have called a tie up jump ball at the 3:26 mark (and subsequently had a bad toss that gave the ball to the Kings) with the Kings ahead by two when he could have called a foul on Divac? Would he have called the foul on Fisher at 1:27 that helped bring the Kings back within a point with plenty of time left? Would he have called the blocking foul on Fox with 0:20 when an offensive foul would have basically sealed the game? Doubtful.

But again, it's a lot easier to claim that the Illuminati caused your team to lose rather than face the reality that your team wilted under pressure.
[ Edited by LA9erFan on Nov 2, 2010 at 10:49 AM ]
When your team ran out of sack and you have run out of things to debate that you've heard throughout the years, just resort to the good ol' "You're just a biased Laker fan".

Not this s**t again

This s**t always.

Anyhoo, Go Giants!!!!

Go Niners.

This is always the reaction I hear from Kings fans as soon as Game 5 or Game 7 is brought up. It's the usual, "oh, you're just a Laker fan" cop out once you actually have to support your opinion. Furthermore, 82games.com did an extensive analysis of Game 6, and concluded that there a conspiracy was very unlikely. Maybe they're just Laker fans too. Here's an excerpt...

Quote:
Yes at a glance you can see the Lakers got some advantage from the calls down the stretch, but if Bavetta was really trying to rig the game, would he have called a tie up jump ball at the 3:26 mark (and subsequently had a bad toss that gave the ball to the Kings) with the Kings ahead by two when he could have called a foul on Divac? Would he have called the foul on Fisher at 1:27 that helped bring the Kings back within a point with plenty of time left? Would he have called the blocking foul on Fox with 0:20 when an offensive foul would have basically sealed the game? Doubtful.

But again, it's a lot easier to claim that the Illuminati caused your team to lose rather than face the reality that your team wilted under pressure.

Oh, how I wish this would sink in.
Not this s**t again

This s**t always.

Kings fan forget about conspiracy theories that their hotel chefs poisoned kobe so he couldn't play the next day...
Here's one you missed.

I've heard countless amounts of people tell me that the Patriots first Super Bowl win was a conspiracy theory.

It was 9/11 red, white, and blue be a Patriot. You have the imfamous tuck rule.
  • Otter
  • Veteran

Did you....Did you just drop the Illuminati on him?

Bwahahahahaha
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
IMO the refs/nba were definitely aiming to get the series to go seven. Make subtle calls to steer the outcome a certain direction. It's just that that game 6 was WAYYY to blatantly obvious with the calls, for a prolonged amount of time.
Share 49ersWebzone