LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

2010 NLCS: Philadelphia Phillies vs. San Francisco Giants (GIANTS WIN THE NLCS!)

Originally posted by 49erfoeva:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Go Phillies!!!

Gayyyyyy

VIDEO IS SOFT
Originally posted by maximill15:
Originally posted by 49erfoeva:
Go Phillies!!!

Gayyyyyy

VIDEO IS SOFT

No s**t Max!
i like how everyone is so enraged about the scheduling of the games because they have to work. i work evenings, so i have to DVR every game all season. its not a big deal to not watch it live as long as you dont know the outcome. you get to FF through commercials.
Originally posted by Niners99:
i like how everyone is so enraged about the scheduling of the games because they have to work. i work evenings, so i have to DVR every game all season. its not a big deal to not watch it live as long as you dont know the outcome. you get to FF through commercials.

Somehow, I don't think that's possible for those that live and work in or around SF, especially this time of year.
Giants Announce NLCS Rotation -- Sanchez No. 2

just rename this thread "OFFICIAL Philadelphia Phillies thread".

the Giants talk goes in the biggest and most epic thread in webzone history.
im a yankee fan so i hope SF wins cause they would be easier to beat in the world series
Originally posted by niners9:
im a yankee fan so i hope SF wins cause they would be easier to beat in the world series

pshhh we would pwn u guys u got nothing on our pitching
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

well i hope we find out
I predicted this matchup months ago. I can't wait!

VS.

Game 1: Roy Halladay vs Tim Lincecum
Game 2: Roy Oswalt vs Jonathan Sanchez
Game 3: Cole Hamels vs Matt Cain

Halladay v Linecum is gonna be a sick matchup. I'll be watching this one for sure.
The Hamels/Cain matchup could be a sleeper if the real Cole Hamels shows up.
Can't wait for this series to start, it's actually the later pitching matchups that will make or break the series, I believe.

Obviously Halliday vs Big Time Timmy Jim is epic. So, a good bet is they split game 1 and game 5.

So, they key is can either pair of the 2 and 3 slot pitchers come up huge and sweep games 2 and 3? If so, whichever team gets that win is in the driver's seat.

If they split those two games, and we assume that Doc and Tim split their first two starts, this is all but garaunteed to go 7 games.

Possibly setting up a winner take all 3rd round of Halliday and Lincecum. (You'd figure with the WS on the line, they'd use them with short rest.)

Should be a great series!

GO PHILS!!!!!!!!!!

dont you think if we beat the phillies who are better than the damn yanks that we can beat them as well in the ws??? its not a given that the yanks will beat the rangers anyways
Salisbury: Bowa Picks Phils in a Long, Tight Series

Quote:
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Posted: 8:45 p.m.

By Jim Salisbury
CSNPhilly.com

Larry Bowa spent the last three seasons coaching third base for the Los Angeles Dodgers, which means he saw the San Francisco Giants up close in 54 games.

Ever the baseball junkie, Bowa also pays close attention to the Phillies, the team for which he starred at shortstop from 1970 to 1981 and managed from 2001 to 2004.

So Bowa is certainly qualified to offer a scouting report on the National League Championship Series, which begins Saturday night with the Phils hosting the Giants in Game 1 at Citizens Bank Park.

Bowa will be in front of his television for every game. He believes this will be a must-see series, mostly because of the two starting pitching staffs. The Giants’ staff features two-time National League Cy Young winner Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Jonathan Sanchez and Madison Bumgarner. The Phillies’ staff features likely 2010 Cy Young winner Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, Cole Hamels and Joe Blanton.

“I don’t know that I’ve ever seen two staffs this deep in the same series,” Bowa said Wednesday. “Their 1-2-3s are both outstanding. That’s six guys who can shut you down. And their No. 4 guys aren’t chopped liver.

“I think this could be one of the better series we’ve seen in a while.”

Like mostly everyone in baseball, Bowa believes the Game 1 pitching matchup between Lincecum and Halladay could be one for the ages.

Lincecum struck out 14 in a two-hit shutout of the Atlanta Braves in Game 1 of the Division Series.

Halladay, of course, no-hit the Cincinnati Reds in the Phils’ playoff opener.

Bowa’s advice to the two offenses: Get Lincecum and Halladay early – or else.

“With Halladay, the scouting report is always don’t let him get into a rhythm,” Bowa said. “It’s the same thing with Lincecum. If you don’t get to those guys early, they can settle in and it can be really tough. With Lincecum, you can often tell how good he’s going to be early. Sometimes his control can be off early.

“With the Phillies' pitchers, Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels, you’ve got to try to get them out of the game, but that’s easier said than done. You can’t go up there and take against these guys because they’re all so good at throwing strike one. If you take, you’ll be 0-and-2 all night.”

Bowa believes that lefty Jonathan Sanchez, the Giants’ second starter in their NLCS rotation, could be a key to the series. Sanchez has electric stuff. He threw a no-hitter against San Diego in July 2009. Control has been a problem for Sanchez – he led the NL with 96 walks this season – but lately he has done a better job of harnessing his pitches. Witness his win over Bowa’s Dodgers on September 16: 12 strikeouts, no walks in seven innings. Witness his gem against Atlanta in the Division Series: 11 strikeouts, one walk in 7 1/3 innings.

“If he’s throwing strikes, he could be a big X-factor,” Bowa said of Sanchez. “You really have to concentrate and make him throw strikes.”

Bowa believes this will be a pitching-dominated series. He looks for close games. He likes both bullpens, but thinks the Giants are a little deeper in middle relief and believes situational lefty Javier Lopez could be a good weapon against the Phils’ heavy left-handed hitting lineup.

“You can’t sit around and wait for three-run home runs against these staffs,” Bowa said.

Bowa thinks the Phils need to try to manufacture some runs, and he believes it can be done against the Giants’ defense.

“They have a good fielding percentage, but it’s very deceiving,” he said of the Giants’ league-best .988 mark. “They have no range. They’ll catch it when you hit it to them, but they’re not a great defensive team.

“You have to create some things against them. You can’t wait for five-hit innings because they’re pitching is too good. Steal some bags. Hit and run. Put the ball in play. Try to take advantage of their lack of range. Make them make plays.

“That’s why I think it’s important that Jimmy [Rollins] play to his capability in this series. You need to create havoc against the Giants.”

Bowa is very high on Buster Posey, the Giants’ rookie catcher, an offensive and defensive threat. Posey hit .305 and had 67 RBIs in 108 games. He threw out 18-of-57 (32 percent) would-be basestealers.

“He’s so good and so mature, you think he’s been back there for five or six years,” Bowa said.

Bowa is also a big fan of Phils catcher Carlos Ruiz, who had a career season, hitting .302 with a .400 on-base percentage and an .847 OPS, third on the team behind Jayson Werth and Ryan Howard.

“Ruiz might be the most underrated player in the league,” Bowa said. “He calls a good game. He’s a tough out. It’s tough to hit eighth, but he does a good job and takes his walks. He’s a good player.”

The Phils outrank the Giants in almost every major offensive category, but that doesn’t mean Phils’ pitchers can lay the ball over the plate. First baseman Aubrey Huff (86 RBIs) and shortstop Juan Uribe (85) are dangerous hitters, and Pat Burrell (18 homers and 51 RBIs in 96 games) has enjoyed a rebirth since joining the club in June.

“The Phillies have a better lineup and more speed,” Bowa said. “But Huff and Uribe come up big with men on base. Don’t leave a breaking ball in the middle of the plate for Uribe. And believe it or not, Pat is doing a good job. You can pitch to him. Just don’t make a mistake because he still has the ability to hit the ball out.”

So who is Bowa picking to win the series?

“I think the Phillies will win, but not in four games,” he said. “I see it going six or seven games. It’s going to be a good one.”
Share 49ersWebzone