**OFFICIAL Sacramento Kings 2010-2011 Season Thread**

Originally posted by SacRock14:
Trying to get pumped up over Salmons...

PG - Tyreke Evans, Jimmer Fredette, Pooh Jeter
SG - Marcus Thornton, Francisco Garcia
SF - John Salmons, Omri Casspi, Donte Greene, Tyler Honeycutt
PF - DeMarcus Cousins, Jason Thompson, Darnell Jackson
C - Samuel Dalembert, Hassan Whiteside

Thornton and Dalembert are both free agents, right?
my friend is a hardcore Kings fans, and lets just say he wasnt very happy about this draft. they blew their chance at Knight to get Salmons back and draft a poor mans Kyle Korver 10th overall.
Originally posted by Niners99:
my friend is a hardcore Kings fans, and lets just say he wasnt very happy about this draft. they blew their chance at Knight to get Salmons back and draft a poor mans Kyle Korver 10th overall.

Kyle Korver is a horrible comparison. I guess that's to be expected when you're white and have great shooting ability though.

A better comparison is Mike Bibby. Jimmer is a 6'2" PG with out of the world shooting range and the ability to create his own shots off the dribble.

Kyle Korver is a 6'7" SG/SF that sits on the 3 point line and not much else.

[ Edited by BoiseNiner on Jun 24, 2011 at 03:33:34 ]
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:

Kyle Korver is a horrible comparison. I guess that's to be expected when you're white and have great shooting ability though.

A better comparison is Mike Bibby. Jimmer is a 6'2" PG with out of the world shooting range and the ability to create his own shots off the dribble.

yet he went 10th in probably the least talented draft in NBA history. the top 2 guys taken project to be league average starters at best, and the rest are mostly role players. dont make Jimmer out to be this big talent. regardless of size differences, the Kings would be thrilled if he turned out as productive a player as Kyle Korver. i dont know who you think youre getting here...

yet he went 10th in probably the least talented draft in NBA history. the top 2 guys taken project to be league average starters at best, and the rest are mostly role players. dont make Jimmer out to be this big talent. regardless of size differences, the Kings would be thrilled if he turned out as productive a player as Kyle Korver. i dont know who you think youre getting here...

wow. I don't know where I said Jimmer was going to be a superstar.

Just saying the Kyle Korver comparison is a horrible one. They aren't the same type of player.
I didn't understand the trade at first and thought it was pretty stupid, but I can see it could make some sense. If the Kings really wanted Jimmer all along then getting him 3 spots later is always good. Additionally if the plan is to re-sign and start Thornton (which I'm fairly certain is true) then it made sense to deal Beno. Getting Salmons in return addresses a need for a starting SF who is a capable defender and a decent shooter. The contract situation is somewhat worse as Salmon's contract runs for an extra year but it does decline a little and they were able to get their guy in the draft while paying him a little less making their cap situation pretty much the same.

If you can upgrade a starting position at the expense of a bencher I think you do it even if you have to pay a little to do so. I'm not at all excited about the trade and I don't know that I would have done it, but I can see the thinking.
This is my take on everything after I have cooled down...

The Jimmer pick is growing on me. He will bring some energy and excitement to the Kings. Also, the kid can shoot. We desperately needed a shooter when the defenses collapse the middle on Reke. Nobody on this team could shoot a lick before Jimmer. Although, my concern is about him playing PG. He didn't really play a "real" PG position in college. It'll be a huge transition for him. We don't really have a veteran backup PG at this point either. And of course the glaring weakness is his defense. This draft was really weak, so why not roll the dice on this kid.

I'm still upset about the Salmons acquisition. I know we have a void at the 3, but Salmons? He is older and his play is declining. He is on the downside of his career. Also, he loves to hold the ball just like Reke. And to top it off, he is owed 31 mill! I would rather have kept Beno and drafted Jimmer. On a good team, Salmons would not be a starter. I was really hoping we would get a good, solid veteran. I know Petrie says he isn't done dealing, but I doubt we get a semi big name FA.

I hope that Thornton keeps his momentum rolling and Reke makes a big improvement in his third season. Also, if Jimmer fills the basket like everyone thinks and Salmons gives us 15 points a game, we may be an exciting team. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Originally posted by sacniner:

The Jimmer pick is growing on me. He will bring some energy and excitement to the Kings. Also, the kid can shoot. We desperately needed a shooter when the defenses collapse the middle on Reke. Nobody on this team could shoot a lick before Jimmer. Although, my concern is about him playing PG. He didn't really play a "real" PG position in college. It'll be a huge transition for him. We don't really have a veteran backup PG at this point either. And of course the glaring weakness is his defense. This draft was really weak, so why not roll the dice on this kid.

I'm still upset about the Salmons acquisition. I know we have a void at the 3, but Salmons? He is older and his play is declining. He is on the downside of his career. Also, he loves to hold the ball just like Reke. And to top it off, he is owed 31 mill! I would rather have kept Beno and drafted Jimmer. On a good team, Salmons would not be a starter. I was really hoping we would get a good, solid veteran. I know Petrie says he isn't done dealing, but I doubt we get a semi big name FA.

I hope that Thornton keeps his momentum rolling and Reke makes a big improvement in his third season. Also, if Jimmer fills the basket like everyone thinks and Salmons gives us 15 points a game, we may be an exciting team. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

well Jimmer won't necessarily have to play a true PG here either. I believe Evans is going to continue to play that role. When Evans is resting is the only time I think they'll ask Jimmer to facilitate, which I think he is perfectly capable of.
So now we have too many SFs?

Are we assuming that Jimmer wont be a starting PG in this league and always a backup?
Originally posted by Super9er81:
I didn't understand the trade at first and thought it was pretty stupid, but I can see it could make some sense. If the Kings really wanted Jimmer all along then getting him 3 spots later is always good. Additionally if the plan is to re-sign and start Thornton (which I'm fairly certain is true) then it made sense to deal Beno. Getting Salmons in return addresses a need for a starting SF who is a capable defender and a decent shooter. The contract situation is somewhat worse as Salmon's contract runs for an extra year but it does decline a little and they were able to get their guy in the draft while paying him a little less making their cap situation pretty much the same.

If you can upgrade a starting position at the expense of a bencher I think you do it even if you have to pay a little to do so. I'm not at all excited about the trade and I don't know that I would have done it, but I can see the thinking.

Yeah, none of it really made sense at first. But I think it was a good day in general.

Kings clearly wanted Jimmer all along and would have taken him at 7, decided they could still get their guy at 10 and upgraded a starting position at the cost of a bench player.

Basically upgraded SF and shooting. Salmons contract is a little concerning and so is his ball hogging skills. But we desperately needed a SF and desperately needed someone who can shoot the ball from range. Both were addressed.

Looks like Sammy and Thornton will definitely be resigned.

Originally posted by ninerfan21:

well Jimmer won't necessarily have to play a true PG here either. I believe Evans is going to continue to play that role. When Evans is resting is the only time I think they'll ask Jimmer to facilitate, which I think he is perfectly capable of.

I think the team has given up on the idea of Reke being a PG (and rightfully so). But I think you are right to a certain degree. Reke can handle the ball and I think he and Jimmer will faciltate the offense at different times. Reke is definitely more of a SG than PG. The Kings drafted Jimmer with hopes of being the PG of the future.
but what I like about the draft/trade is that we can play with bigger sized teams or even faster paced teams.

Smalll Quick Team:
1 Jimmer
2 Evans
3 Thornton
4 Casspi
5 Cousins/Dalembert

Bigger Team:
1 Evans
2 Salmons
3 Casspi
4 Cousins
5 Dalembert

What will make/break this team depends on if we resign Dalembert and Thornton. These guys are starting core players we can't live without. And for what its worth, it just doesnt make sense to keep 4 SFs. We cant play a 15 man roster. And we still dont have much depth at bigs other than Thompson who is sluggish at times and Jackson. We could use another big 6-11 guy to box out and play defense.

1 Evans Jimmer Thomas Jeter
2 Thornton Garcia
3 Salmons Casspi Greene Honeycut
4 Cousins Jackson ?
5 Dalembert Thompson Whiteside
Originally posted by ninerfan21:

I think the team has given up on the idea of Reke being a PG (and rightfully so). But I think you are right to a certain degree. Reke can handle the ball and I think he and Jimmer will faciltate the offense at different times. Reke is definitely more of a SG than PG. The Kings drafted Jimmer with hopes of being the PG of the future.

I don't know about down the line several years but I'm fairly certain the plan/hope is to re-sign Thornton and start Evans and Thornton together and bring Jimmer and Cisco off the bench. Seems to me like this move further strengthens Tyreke's place at PG for the Kings.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by Super9er81:

Yeah, none of it really made sense at first. But I think it was a good day in general.

Kings clearly wanted Jimmer all along and would have taken him at 7, decided they could still get their guy at 10 and upgraded a starting position at the cost of a bench player.

Basically upgraded SF and shooting. Salmons contract is a little concerning and so is his ball hogging skills. But we desperately needed a SF and desperately needed someone who can shoot the ball from range. Both were addressed.

Looks like Sammy and Thornton will definitely be resigned.

I have the same concerns with Salmons, and for a vet he doesn't seem like much of a leader to me, but maybe that's overrated.

I wouldn't be shocked if Dalembert and Thornton are the only free agents we sign.

He wasn't making Jimmer out to be more than he was, he was saying that the comparison to Korver was a poor one, and he is right.
Share 49ersWebzone