LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

CAL cuts baseball and more

Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Blame Title 9.

To keep things equal, we can't let males have stuff.

No offense to women but lets be real here... no one f**king goes to women's sporting events PERIOD! That's some bulls**t imo... sorry to the cal fans

Yeah, but the rules on having certain womens sports kills stuff. First the Olympics, now CAL!

A lot of college team dont have baseball, makes me worry. Colorado, Wisconsin, etc...

Come on CAL, this sucks. Jeff Kent, a CAL baseball player, told the chronicle - " I am disgusted, I am embarrassed".
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

This is only +4 milli to the state deficits' $20 BILLION
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Blame Title 9.

No offense to women but lets be real here... no one f**king goes to women's sporting events PERIOD! That's some bulls**t imo... sorry to the cal fans

Yeah, but the rules on having certain womens sports kills stuff. First the Olympics, now CAL!

A lot of college team dont have baseball, makes me worry. Colorado, Wisconsin, etc...

Come on CAL, this sucks. Jeff Kent, a CAL baseball player, told the chronicle - " I am disgusted, I am embarrassed".

Oh I know, I know all about the title 9 rule. Learned about it in my sports business class last year actually. And Oregon just got their baseball program back 3 years ago. we got rid of it 20 years ago because of our budget. But now our athletic program pays for all of its sports teams and facilities etc. independently.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Blame Title 9.

Oh I know, I know all about the title 9 rule. Learned about it in my sports business class last year actually. And Oregon just got their baseball program back 3 years ago. we got rid of it 20 years ago because of our budget. But now our athletic program pays for all of its sports teams and facilities etc. independently.

My thing, of all the sports to cut...baseball. This is America's sport man. Jeezz, cut some gay crap, not baseball.
Blame Title 9.

Well the thing was set up originally to be about fairness. But with football you fill 70,000, 80,000, 90,000 or 100,000 fans into a stadium at premium ticket prices. Plus mens basketball brings in 20,000 fans for many, many games. The stadiums and premium ticket sales are mostly going to mens sports.

Womens sports need to be there too. But when you have one side that can fill a 100,000 seat stadium and another that can't you have to think how to allocate resources. It's a tricky and very political decision. If it was purely based on economics it's easy to figure out what to do. But it is not based on pure economics. I can't say what the right way to go is morally, ethically, politically, "fairness wise", but there is no question the major revenue generators are mens sports. In particular football and basketball.
Share 49ersWebzone