LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 212 users in the forums

***2012-2013 Utah Jazz Thread***

Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
Looks like the team is finally starting to get their stuff together and are playing a lot better then the first two games. Big Al led the team with 27, D-Will added 22, 14 and 8, Millsap scored 21, CJ was awesome off the bench with 19 mostly coming from 5 threes, Price had 11, and Ak was the last Jazz in double figures with 10.

Evans and Fesenko didn't play due to sprained right wrist and gastric distress.

When our whole team is healthy we'll be a lot more fun to watch. I like what I'm seeing from Millsap so far, and from everyone else
Quote:
The Jazz and coach Jerry Sloan are close to a contract extension.

"It's pretty much done, as far as that's concerned," Sloan told NBA.com of the pending agreement.

Sloan, 68, is in the final year of his current contract, which is also his 23rd as Utah's coach.

Very interesting I figured he would be about done but I guess not.

Anyways...haven't been able to do recaps of the last two games b/c I had to go to a funeral over the weekend. First game against Golden State was just an absolute mess, the Warriors wanted the win a lot more then we did and we got our asses handed to us in a turnover filled loss. Saturday night's game against the Clippers lookedl ike it was gonna be the same until D-Will hit the game winning shot in the closing seconds. Williams finished with 30,8, and 7, Millsap and Al both had double doubles with 25 and 13 and 18 and 10, and AK added 18 as well.

We go up against Miami and their Big 3 tomorrow night.
What's your take on Sloan, MT? Are you sick of his gig, or what? Seems like he can get a crappy team to play better than they are, but does he have what it takes to really make a splash for it all.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
What's your take on Sloan, MT? Are you sick of his gig, or what? Seems like he can get a crappy team to play better than they are, but does he have what it takes to really make a splash for it all.

i know you didnt ask me, but ive been a Jazz fan for 17 years, and i think i can speak for most Jazz fans when i say that Jerry Sloan is an incredible coach.

hes never won it all for us, but i consider 97 and 98 to be both championship caliber seasons that just ran into Jordan at the wrong time. hes one of the best NBA coaches of all time, and he just coaches basketball the right way.

Sloan may not win the title every year, but hes so consistent. he makes bad teams good, good teams great, and great teams elite. i would be content with him coaching this team until he cant be healthy enough to do it.

being the longest tenured coach in professional sports is something for him to really be proud of in a day where circumstances, not always coaching ability, almost always determines if you keep your job. Him being here this long, and having Phil Johnson stay as his assistant coach this long is a rarity in sports.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Nov 9, 2010 at 1:11 AM ]

I like Sloan even though I don't think he'll ever bring us a championship, but then again he makes our team better then most coaches would. I think he's earned the right to be there as long as he wants but I just hope that we keep making some more moves to help make us a title contender in the next couple years.

I like Sloan even though I don't think he'll ever bring us a championship, but then again he makes our team better then most coaches would. I think he's earned the right to be there as long as he wants but I just hope that we keep making some more moves to help make us a title contender in the next couple years.

Sloan gets the most out of his guys, and for that he is a great coach. People will always mention the fact that he doesn't have any championships, but he has kept the Jazz competitive year in and year out. In 03 I think we went 42-40, with AK as our best player and a bunch of role players. Not many coaches would have won that many games with that poor of a lineup.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jrg:

Miami tonight, then Orlando

Sloan cant be blamed for not winning a title. in the days when he had the pieces, he wouldve had back to back rings if not for Michael Jordan, and after that he has never really had a title caliber roster.

the post Stockton/Malone era has basically been Spurs dynasty, Lakers dynasty, and only 3 other champions in the 12 years since our last Finals, so its hard to fault Sloan for not winning it all in that time period.

the fact that coaches like Sloan cant even get their teams close to a title for 12 years because of superpower teams is why i dont watch the NBA much anymore. if youre a Lakers fan, Spurs, or Celtics fan, you love the NBA. every other teams fans just say "itll be another season of being a 4-8 seed, and being lucky if we get to be the Lakers or Celtics punching bag in the Conference Finals".

and im not complaining, the Lakers are a very well oiled machine. i hate them with a passion, i always have, but its no secret theyre very very good. the league as a whole i think has a flaw. im not sure why or how, but over 50% of ALL the NBA Championships have been Lakers or Celtics. thats not good for a sport when the same 2 teams win over 50% of the time. and if you add in other 2 dynasties in Chicago and San Antonio, thats 43 championships between 4 teams, and 21 between the rest of the entire NBA.

the Yankees and Cardinals have 37 WS titles combined as the top 2 teams, and thats only 35% at most.

• jrg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by saniner:

Ha, good luck
Originally posted by saniner:

Ha, good luck

We're going to need it. I'll take a win against Miami. If we do that I will be satisfied
Millsap is one of the only bright spots for us so far. In this game and this season. It's just too bad NOBODY can make a shot right now. We're missing open looks. It's pretty bad.
Utah getting it down to 3!

Fes is getting some quality minutes

lead down to 2!!
TIE GAME!!
Share 49ersWebzone