There are 210 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks 2010-11 Pacific Div. Champs Off-season Thread ***

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Sharks get an NBC game this year!

That is just one of our 9 appearances national TV! http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=587137

3 on NHL Network
5 on VERSUS
1 on NBC

The only downside... ALL of them are away games except for the last one against LA.. If I may say, that is complete and total BS.

Those games are always early and on a sunday
Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know a lick about hockey even though I am a Sharks' fan. My question is did they improve in the offseason OR did they regress a little? Also, I know that hockey and basketball are two different sports, but who in the NBA would you compare the Sharks to as far as talent and probability of winning the cup nxt year?
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Excuse my ignorance, but I don't know a lick about hockey even though I am a Sharks' fan. My question is did they improve in the offseason OR did they regress a little? Also, I know that hockey and basketball are two different sports, but who in the NBA would you compare the Sharks to as far as talent and probability of winning the cup nxt year?

they got much better and made last years weakness which was their defense to a strength. i wouldnt compare them to the heat which is a team of 3 stars and no depth because the sharks clearly have depth, i dont really know which team to compare them to. if anything i would say lakers or mavs due to their depth and the really good players they have, sharks have young guys who contribute and unlike the nba game its hard to find legit guys in their early 20's to mid 20's being big time contributors and not being stuck in the bench playing a few mins learning. this like the past yrs is cup or bust more so this yr because we got the defense to go along with the goal tending and offense
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

they got much better and made last years weakness which was their defense to a strength. i wouldnt compare them to the heat which is a team of 3 stars and no depth because the sharks clearly have depth, i dont really know which team to compare them to. if anything i would say lakers or mavs due to their depth and the really good players they have, sharks have young guys who contribute and unlike the nba game its hard to find legit guys in their early 20's to mid 20's being big time contributors and not being stuck in the bench playing a few mins learning. this like the past yrs is cup or bust more so this yr because we got the defense to go along with the goal tending and offense

I don't watch the NBA at all really, so I wouldn't have been able to comment on this, but it sounds like you did pretty well describing everything.
Sharks give Couture 2 year extension!

I don't watch the NBA at all really, so I wouldn't have been able to comment on this, but it sounds like you did pretty well describing everything.

I say they would be in the West since the NBA west has a lot of really good teams. they are not the lakers or Mav's because they won championships recently. they are more like the spurs finishing the seasons towards the top but never winning in the playoffs.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

I say they would be in the West since the NBA west has a lot of really good teams. they are not the lakers or Mav's because they won championships recently. they are more like the spurs finishing the seasons towards the top but never winning in the playoffs.
i never meant they were like the lakers or mavs because of the championships only because of the depth both those teams have, its been a while sine the spurs won but they did win chapionships. i didnt compare the sharks to the spurs because imo their window has shut especially with duncan on his last legs
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Sharks give Couture 2 year extension!

Nice. Putting that cap space / discount on the 5-year Burns deal to good use already. Hoping for even more leaps and bounds improvement in Couture's play, he's already a top-two line player.

Wow, and I just noticed the Sharks posted up their training camp roster! Check it out! http://sharks.nhl.com/club/roster.htm -- Some interesting names. Any guesses on surprise players that make the team?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Great terms, once again what a offseason for DW.
Young players that are having a shot in TC that weren't there last year: Connolly, Gocol, Reid, Hamilton, Livingston, Sgarbossa.

Didn't Sgarbossa tear it up last pre-season?
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Aug 26, 2011 at 9:28 PM ]

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

i never meant they were like the lakers or mavs because of the championships only because of the depth both those teams have, its been a while sine the spurs won but they did win chapionships. i didnt compare the sharks to the spurs because imo their window has shut especially with duncan on his last legs

i'd say the mavs are actually a near perfect comparison. they just won a championship after years and years of underachieving, so honestly they are a perfect comparison to the sharks. same criticisms were directed at them. joe would be dirk in this case, star who gets constantly criticized for his postseason performances. lets just hope the sharks have the same ending as the mavs. the one big difference is that the sharks have plenty of young homegrown talent. i'd say they're more like a cross between the mavs and the thunder. lots of good vets, good depth and a lot of homegrown guys.
Share 49ersWebzone