LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

*** San Jose Sharks 2010-11 Pacific Div. Champs Off-season Thread ***

With most of the Western Teams losing a great deal of their players, the Sharks kept the core of their team, which made it to the Western Conference Finals, in tact. Nabokov, arguably the greatest goalie never to win a cup, goes to Russia and in his place we pluck Chicago's Cup-winning goaltender, Antti Niemi.

On paper, the toughest competition for the Sharks appear to be Vancouver and Detroit. But with the confidence of what was accomplished last year, we should know that we have all the ability in the world do go all the way this year. We all expect to build on last year. Every year, we expect a Cup, and this one is no different. It's time to not just make it to the finals, but win.

Welcome, new faces, to the 2010-2011 San Jose Sharks!

[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 25, 2011 at 3:36 PM ]
NIEMI!!!!!
Originally posted by SF69ers:
NIEMI!!!!!

It may seem like an odd or a "why-does-it-matter" question, but I wonder what number he'll wear. Please not #20.
I still can't believe Niemi is a Shark! Hopefully he can get hot for us in the playoffs like he did last year with the hawks. We have to win it all this season no excuses!!!
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
I still can't believe Niemi is a Shark! Hopefully he can get hot for us in the playoffs like he did last year with the hawks. We have to win it all this season no excuses!!!

if we dont expect for us to win with our current d unless demers has a huge step forward which i can expect and murray, wallin, and huskins have career yrs i expect the magic of dw to pull off a trade some time during the season. i just wish we had a very good top 4 at least
trade deadline will be interesting for the sharks
Originally posted by ads_2006:
trade deadline will be interesting for the sharks

I just don't know what we expect to do with Greiss. I feel bad for the guy because he was decent in spot duty, and although he's played less games, he has a much better winning percentage than Niittymaki.

Then you've got Al Stalock, a budding star-in-the-making who we know dang well is not going to stay in the minors forever. If he duplicates his success this year, I cannot see him staying in Worcester for 2011, not with Niemi only being on a one-year deal.

Basically, we may have to wait until someone needs a goalie due to injury, and package Nitty or Tommy. Then the question is who has the greater value? Probably Greiss because of the upside, and goalies coming from the Sharks prospect farm are usually hot commodities. (Toskala, Kiprusoff)
I was totally surprised by the Niemi signing. We get a proven Stanley Cup winning goalie without the top market price (that Nabby was going to make).

This team just needs better play from the defensemen. We REALLY need another veteran dman back there. No more Blake.
Antti Niemi and Negrodamus forever arch nemesis
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
I was totally surprised by the Niemi signing. We get a proven Stanley Cup winning goalie without the top market price (that Nabby was going to make).

This team just needs better play from the defensemen. We REALLY need another veteran dman back there. No more Blake.

I think they're hoping an off-season for Wallin will do the trick.

... It won't.

Wallin is no Blake, and we're really going to have to hope Demers can make huge strides, and perhaps other rookies that might come in play great.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

... It won't.

Wallin is no Blake, and we're really going to have to hope Demers can make huge strides, and perhaps other rookies that might come in play great.

How is Petrecki doing? Is he going to get called up soon?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

... It won't.

How is Petrecki doing? Is he going to get called up soon?

petrecki struggled mightily in his 1st yr in the ahl, i dont expect him to play in sj unless he does a complete 180 and absolutely has a monster training camp and preseason
Why did we have to get rid of Malhotra!?!?
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:

cause he got paid
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:

cause he got paid

Should have put the effort into keeping him around, he was a great player and leader for the Sharks.
Share 49ersWebzone