There are 215 users in the forums

Your Second Favorite Sport to Watch

Your Second Favorite Sport to Watch

Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
1 Basketball
2 NASCAR
3. Football
4. Baseball

just curious, what's the appeal of watching that sport?
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
I'm also waiting for the Ashes. That will be a fun series now that English are pretty darn good too.

Great to see some love for the great game of cricket on the 'zone, deep down my #1 sport. I'm also looking forward to the Ashes, hoping England's batting picks up a little.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Yeup...been reading up on the recent history of that Sport. Aussies have been on amazing streak for last 10-12 years. With many greats recently retiring, they have lost the top spot - but are still in top 3 in the main two formats - I think. I used to like 20/20 but seriously - it's like home-run derby. You can only watch so much of it. After a while - it gets redundant.

Also, last couple years I've worked in England and India - so that def. built a lot of my interest in the Sport...especially when I was working in India - people are just nuts about it - almost like how soccer is in Europe. I have seen one or two India vs. Pakistan matches and they are very entertaining. I would say it's more heated than US vs. Mexico - it's like a proxy war.

Test cricket is fun to watch. Who are your favorite players? My favorite batsmen - Sachin Tendulkar and Mathew Hayden (who recently retired). I also like Sehwag (probably the most entertaining player) and Yuvraj - but only because of those 6 consecutive sixes. Oh, and I also like Kevin Pieterson.

Among bowlers I like Daryl Steyn, Brett Lee, and Mohd. Asif. I like the new kid Aamer or something from Pakistan. I've seen some youtube videos of Shane Warne - that guy bowled some filthy spin.

One of my favorite recent memory - McCullum from NZ hitting sixes of Shawn Tait behind the wicket-keeper. That was unbelievable. He is fun to watch in 20/20. Oh I don't like IPL...after first week I got sick of it.

Ah yeah, cricket is all they have in India and Pakistan. They play a little hockey but yeah the comparison to soccer in Europe is very true.

Fav. player by far is Tendulkar. The dude keeps on going. On the other side, it's Warney. I'm a leg spinner myself and I loved to mimic him. Plus, you can beat this:

That was his first ball on English soil. I guess you might have seen that video.

Other than them two, I'm a big Jacques Kallis fan, because he can do just about everything. I also really like Graeme Smith - he's a true leader. I haven't been watching more cricket recently. I tend to go overseas once cricket starts, so I miss out. I'll pay attention this year, this the Aussies will be playing in the Ashes.

-9fA

Yea, I've seen that video. The batsman had no clue wtf happened? Warney was awesome. He is pretty funny too - talking smack about how the game doesn't need coaches. lol

I think Graeme Smith is a very good player, but S.Africa chokes so much that I've a hard time respecting them. I'm also waiting for the Ashes. That will be a fun series now that English are pretty darn good too.

Why are his lips white?

What are the wickets for?
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheNaitch:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Yeup...been reading up on the recent history of that Sport. Aussies have been on amazing streak for last 10-12 years. With many greats recently retiring, they have lost the top spot - but are still in top 3 in the main two formats - I think. I used to like 20/20 but seriously - it's like home-run derby. You can only watch so much of it. After a while - it gets redundant.

Also, last couple years I've worked in England and India - so that def. built a lot of my interest in the Sport...especially when I was working in India - people are just nuts about it - almost like how soccer is in Europe. I have seen one or two India vs. Pakistan matches and they are very entertaining. I would say it's more heated than US vs. Mexico - it's like a proxy war.

Test cricket is fun to watch. Who are your favorite players? My favorite batsmen - Sachin Tendulkar and Mathew Hayden (who recently retired). I also like Sehwag (probably the most entertaining player) and Yuvraj - but only because of those 6 consecutive sixes. Oh, and I also like Kevin Pieterson.

Among bowlers I like Daryl Steyn, Brett Lee, and Mohd. Asif. I like the new kid Aamer or something from Pakistan. I've seen some youtube videos of Shane Warne - that guy bowled some filthy spin.

One of my favorite recent memory - McCullum from NZ hitting sixes of Shawn Tait behind the wicket-keeper. That was unbelievable. He is fun to watch in 20/20. Oh I don't like IPL...after first week I got sick of it.

Ah yeah, cricket is all they have in India and Pakistan. They play a little hockey but yeah the comparison to soccer in Europe is very true.

Fav. player by far is Tendulkar. The dude keeps on going. On the other side, it's Warney. I'm a leg spinner myself and I loved to mimic him. Plus, you can beat this:

That was his first ball on English soil. I guess you might have seen that video.

Other than them two, I'm a big Jacques Kallis fan, because he can do just about everything. I also really like Graeme Smith - he's a true leader. I haven't been watching more cricket recently. I tend to go overseas once cricket starts, so I miss out. I'll pay attention this year, this the Aussies will be playing in the Ashes.

-9fA

Yea, I've seen that video. The batsman had no clue wtf happened? Warney was awesome. He is pretty funny too - talking smack about how the game doesn't need coaches. lol

I think Graeme Smith is a very good player, but S.Africa chokes so much that I've a hard time respecting them. I'm also waiting for the Ashes. That will be a fun series now that English are pretty darn good too.

Why are his lips white?

My friend who is nuts about cricket told me it's Zinc Oxide - a very strong sunblock. They apply that because one form of the game lasts 5 days with 6+ hours a day on the field, and the game is mostly played in the summers and you can't play it in rain.

The game has 3 formats - one lasts 5 days, another lasts 7 hours, and latest one (started only 3 years back) lasts 3 hrs.

Wickets - umm, you can say they are like strike zone. If the bowler (pitcher) hits the wicket - the batsmen (batter) is out. No 3 strikes - one miss and you're out. Batsmen don't have to hit and run on every ball (pitch). Also, player bats till the bowling side gets them out - or they run out of balls (pitches). Different formats have different rules - so it's a little hard to explain.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Aug 23, 2010 at 3:40 AM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by redrose49er:
I'm also waiting for the Ashes. That will be a fun series now that English are pretty darn good too.

Great to see some love for the great game of cricket on the 'zone, deep down my #1 sport. I'm also looking forward to the Ashes, hoping England's batting picks up a little.

I think Cricket should def. be on the list in the OP. It's one of the biggest sport in the World, I'm surprised it's not included from the get go.
Originally posted by TheNaitch:

^^ This is why I love the webzone!
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
1) Hockey
2) NFL
3) College Football
4) College Basketball

Thank you. Finally another hockey guy.

However.. I should note that football (I combine NFL/NCAA) is always and forever going to be #1 in my book.
Football
Baseball
College Football
Nascar
March Madness College Basketball

in that order.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
More replies than votes? Looks like I was the only one that voted for racing. I like basketball, but only watch March Madness and NBA play-offs, but I watch Nascar twice a week while it is in season (Sprint Cup , Nationwide). Racing is much more fun to watch if you have a favorite driver or bet. It is one of the sports that is much more exciting in person, the cars don't look that fast on TV, been going to Nascar events for 30 years. California Speedway is only about 10 miles from me.
1) Hockey
2) NFL
3) College Football
4) College Basketball

However.. I should note that football (I combine NFL/NCAA) is always and forever going to be #1 in my book.

I'm with you OTC, Football and Hockey = best sports to watch hands down.

Originally posted by Byisgod:
1) Hockey
2) NFL
3) College Football
4) College Basketball

Couldn't agree more.Two best and toughest sports in the world.
Originally posted by diehardnyninerfan:
Originally posted by Byisgod:
1) Hockey
2) NFL
3) College Football
4) College Basketball

Couldn't agree more.Two best and toughest sports in the world.

There's just something different when it comes to the flow and excitement of these games that I just can't get with a sport like Basketball now. Even in the Jordan era, it still didn't quite compare for me.
1) NFL
2) MLB
3) NBA
4) NCAAF

I will say that I'm getting more intrigued with soccer, and I'll watch tennis every now and then..
[ Edited by djb49 on Aug 24, 2010 at 11:22 PM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Mens College Basketball
Baseball
NBA

Lol, you would specify men! j/k, but I had to point that out..
NFL
NBA
World Cup
NCAAF
NCAAB
MLB
Cricket
Share 49ersWebzone