There are 273 users in the forums

Coffee Retires?

At least Coffee didn't leave like this guy.....

• SS2K8
  • Veteran
God bless you, glen coffee

I think we all know why he retired by now, but this is a good article that goes in depth and explains it in more detail:

Why Coffee retired

Opinions??
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by crzy:
He's being true to himself.

And for that he deserves everyone's respect.

All you people criticizing him are childish.

All you people believing his fabricated excuse are gullible. Funny the guy quit right after he got pancaked in practice. I would have more respect for the truth out of him than his BS. In college his athletic skills he was born with was good enough to be a top notch player, in the NFL it wasn't. He didn't have what it took to work hard and improve himself, plain and simple.

Quote:
In an interview with the Sacramento Bee, the second-year running back quashed speculation that Singletary's demanding training camp played any role in his decision.

"Yesterday I was reading on the Internet, and some reporter said I made the decision because I got blown up in a blocking drill. Come on, man! Give me more credit than that!" Coffee told the Bee. "But I've got to expect that when I do something so unexpectedly.

I doubt one, solitary drill caused his retirement.
Lock this thread already who cares!!!!

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Chaoslord209:
At least Coffee didn't leave like this guy.....

that dude is gonna be the next big gay celeb.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by crzy:
He's being true to himself.

And for that he deserves everyone's respect.

All you people criticizing him are childish.

All you people believing his fabricated excuse are gullible. Funny the guy quit right after he got pancaked in practice. I would have more respect for the truth out of him than his BS. In college his athletic skills he was born with was good enough to be a top notch player, in the NFL it wasn't. He didn't have what it took to work hard and improve himself, plain and simple.

Quote:
In an interview with the Sacramento Bee, the second-year running back quashed speculation that Singletary's demanding training camp played any role in his decision.

"Yesterday I was reading on the Internet, and some reporter said I made the decision because I got blown up in a blocking drill. Come on, man! Give me more credit than that!" Coffee told the Bee. "But I've got to expect that when I do something so unexpectedly.

I doubt one, solitary drill caused his retirement.

He better start building his Ark ASAP..

FK Coffee Almighty!!!!!!!!
Seems like guys that aren't cutting the mustard are afraid to show their face at training camp nowadays. This is an improvement over recent history where the 49ers were a team to go to if you wanted an easy paycheck with no expectations to produce.

Thanks for retiring Coffee. Westbrook is a huge upgrade.
  • dj43
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Seems like guys that aren't cutting the mustard are afraid to show their face at training camp nowadays. This is an improvement over recent history where the 49ers were a team to go to if you wanted an easy paycheck with no expectations to produce.

Thanks for retiring Coffee. Westbrook is a huge upgrade.

Where did you read that Coffee wasn't cutting the mustard in TC? I read a bunch of stuff and didn't hear that.

Coffee ran about as well as could be expected given the junk line the 49ers had last season. Even Gore struggled through most of the season.

While I hope Westbrook has a good season, I am not expecting much from a guy who has been hammered with injuries.

I am disappointed that Coffee didn't turn out to be a future Pro Bowl player as well but he made an honest decision and faced it up squarely. Why all the hate?

Coffee gives more insight regarding his decision. Says he knew his career would be short after finding God in his jr year at Alabama, but didn't know it would be this short.

He said he left Bama a year early because he thought he was done with football, but figured if he's getting paid for it, maybe he could tolerate it longer:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Glen-Coffee-feels-just-fine-with-quitting-on-his;_ylt=Ap8NcsWi4xfRL0ycLm0OyW1DubYF?urn=nfl-263288
Coffee interview on Dan Patrick Show

Quote:
Coffee had doubts about his commitment to football even when he was in college. "I thought maybe if I'm getting paid I'll be able to tolerate it," he told Dan Patrick.

Link

Now that's f**ked. It's still falls on McCloughan for picking a guy that doesn't love the game, but I have to assume he was asked why he was coming out early and I have to assume he didn't let on that his commitment to the game was in doubt. How do you hide that?

What a waste of a pick.

[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Aug 21, 2010 at 19:36:01 ]
coffee arrested?
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
coffee arrested?

Share 49ersWebzone