NBA Finals Boston vs Lakers

Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by SLICK:
I still think the Celtics hold a slight edge over the Lakers. Can't wait!!!!

I'd disagree, but that's to be expected.

Artest will be the difference. As Pete said a few days ago, the injured Ariza/Rodmonavich/Walton combo at SF during the Finals 2 years ago has been improved.

And while I agree, I think we also can agree that Rondo is playing at a MUCH higher level than he was 2 years ago. Same with Ray Allen, who couldn't buy a shot the entire 2008 Playoffs. Sheed, who seems to finally playing some D is a mismatch off the bench. I like the fact that Kobe is going to have to play D, and face 3 decent defenders in Pierce, Ray Allen, and then Tony Allen.

The one thing I think that could factor in is the fact that this is it for this Celtic team. They know that the chances are pretty good that they're not all gonna get here again. Allen is a FA, Pierce has an opt out next year. I think the Big 3 will come to play and rally around one another to play at an even higher level.

I just don't see it happening like that, but hey, I'm biased. Also don't forget who has HCA this time.

Yeah I dont think home court matters that much. 2 veteran teams. I think either team can win on the others floor.

Uhh.....no. Home court matters, brah. Vet teams or not. HCA matters. That's why they call it an "ADVANTAGE".

the celtics seem to have no problem winning on the road, so i'm not really sure its that much of an "advantage."

Don't confuse the Lakers with a team that drops games 1 and 2 on their own court.
  • SLICK
  • Veteran

Artest will be the difference. As Pete said a few days ago, the injured Ariza/Rodmonavich/Walton combo at SF during the Finals 2 years ago has been improved.

And while I agree, I think we also can agree that Rondo is playing at a MUCH higher level than he was 2 years ago. Same with Ray Allen, who couldn't buy a shot the entire 2008 Playoffs. Sheed, who seems to finally playing some D is a mismatch off the bench. I like the fact that Kobe is going to have to play D, and face 3 decent defenders in Pierce, Ray Allen, and then Tony Allen.

The one thing I think that could factor in is the fact that this is it for this Celtic team. They know that the chances are pretty good that they're not all gonna get here again. Allen is a FA, Pierce has an opt out next year. I think the Big 3 will come to play and rally around one another to play at an even higher level.

I just don't see it happening like that, but hey, I'm biased. Also don't forget who has HCA this time.

Yeah I dont think home court matters that much. 2 veteran teams. I think either team can win on the others floor.

Uhh.....no. Home court matters, brah. Vet teams or not. HCA matters. That's why they call it an "ADVANTAGE".

LOL..OK. If you believe that. I mean, it mattered so much when the Celtics didn't have home court vs. Cleveland....or Orlando. But yeah, I'm sure that'll be the difference.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Orlando had HCA over Boston in this series.

We're seeing how much it mattered.
Originally posted by HessianDud:

the celtics seem to have no problem winning on the road, so i'm not really sure its that much of an "advantage."

Don't confuse the Lakers with a team that drops games 1 and 2 on their own court.

hey man, your team is good, i'm not doggin them. i'm just saying that i think the point of the vet teams is a pretty valid one. the lakers aren't invincible, and the celtics are red hot. they're both champions, which means that pretty much anything can happen.
Originally posted by jrg:

Yeah, but the Lakers are a lot better than the Magic, so your comparison is a fail.

Yeah, but the Lakers are a lot better than the Magic, so your comparison is a fail.

IF the lakers couldnt stop the best player in the world two years ago..how are they gonna stop Pierce now?

[ Edited by ads_2006 on May 22, 2010 at 8:14 PM ]
Originally posted by ads_2006:

IF the lakers couldnt stop the best player in the world two years ago..how are they gonna stop Pierce now?

LMAO. Artest, son. Artest will stop the pincushion.
If this postseason has proven anything, it's that what happens in the previous series is completely irrelevant. Orlando just came off of a series where they beat Atlanta by the largest margin in NBA history. The same Atlanta team that swept the Celtics in the regular season.

The end result? Orlando goes from destroying the Hawks to getting destroyed by the Celtics. Phoenix just swept the Spurs, and are getting worked by a Laker team that didn't look great against OKC.

It's really ALL about matchups. It doesn't matter how hot the Lakers or the Celtics are right now. It isn't a harbinger of the next series. You can bet good money that the Celtics will not by holding our best player to 7 points in any game in the next series.
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
If this postseason has proven anything, it's that what happens in the previous series is completely irrelevant. Orlando just came off of a series where they beat Atlanta by the largest margin in NBA history. The same Atlanta team that swept the Celtics in the regular season.

The end result? Orlando goes from destroying the Hawks to getting destroyed by the Celtics. Phoenix just swept the Spurs, and are getting worked by a Laker team that didn't look great against OKC.

It's really ALL about matchups. It doesn't matter how hot the Lakers or the Celtics are right now. It isn't a harbinger of the next series. You can bet good money that the Celtics will not by holding our best player to 7 points in any game in the next series.

knowledge and sense-making FTW

was impersonating angelv05 too hard on that one?
Originally posted by vrabbit:

knowledge and sense-making FTW

was impersonating angelv05 too hard on that one?

How the hell are the magic getting their asses kicked this bad? I didn't watch the game last night, but are the celtics that hot right now? The Magic are a picture perfect playoff squad in the east, i hope the celts are wasting their hot streak right now.

I dont ever wanna lose to the celtics again
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
How the hell are the magic getting their asses kicked this bad? I didn't watch the game last night, but are the celtics that hot right now? The Magic are a picture perfect playoff squad in the east, i hope the celts are wasting their hot streak right now.

From more than a week ago:

Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
If I'm a laker fan, I want no part of Boston. Orlando peaked already. Boston is peaking.

• jrg
  • Veteran

[ Edited by jrg on May 23, 2010 at 12:26 PM ]
Originally posted by DynastyChile:

Well, Orlando's given up, which is why it's a complete ass kicking. But from a b-ball standpoint I think Boston's ability to single cover D12 has caused a chain reaction of suckage. Orlando doesn't have a true, distributing PG that gets their other guys shots. I think that they're missing Hedo in this series (even though Carter's a better player), because he ran the offense and would be a "Plan B" to Howard creating shots. Nelson is their current Plan B, and when you combine his size with Rondo's length...the passing lanes are pretty much gone.

The Magic are dribbling A LOT in an effort to create a shot, and you're not going to beat a good defense that way...much less a historically dominant one like Boston's. That's what makes a Laker/Celtic matchup so great. The Lakers barely dribble at all...it's all about swinging the ball from side to side.

We're on the precipice of an EPIC Finals.

The major advantage 2010 Lakers have over their 2008 loser Lakers is that Kobe won't get torched by Pierce this time around. Pierce will be well-guarded by Ron Artest, which means don't expect Artest to be mentally into it offensively. He will be in Dennis Rodman mode as he was against OKC. This will really keep the Lakers offense slowed down as it was against OKC. The main problem for the Lakers is that Boston's offense no longer revolves around Pierce. Boston is geared around Rondo, for the most part, and is EXTREMELY balanced between all of the starters (we have all seen the double digits point average between the starters).

The Lakers entire offense is geared around Kobe/Gasol with Kobe being the guy who is forced to keep the Lakers close throughout the game. Boston has all of the matchups to hold off the Lakers at every single position but the Lakers absolutely cannot match Rando at any aspect and we all saw what happened with OKC and their PG being the focal point of their wins.

It's going to be interesting how Lakers handle this and it seems as though Lakers will be forced to make more adjustments than Boston will. Usually, the team that's required to make more adjustments plays a little more inconsistent because adjustments usually get figured out and don't always hold.

Eh, who knows, if Phoenix's bench even decides the enter the gates of the arena, then it may be a Suns/Celtics series, which opens a whole new set up matchups.
[ Edited by Joecool on May 24, 2010 at 10:34 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone