There are 269 users in the forums

Umpire strike 3 calls

Another unspoken rule is as a pitcher , do what your catcher asks of you.

Otherwise, your catcher might tip off the batter about what's coming up next, or just let the ball get away.
I love baseball
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Quote:
Always throw a fastball on a 3-0 count.

Quote:
Never lay down a bunt to break up a no-hitter.

Quote:
Don't swing at the first pitch after back-to-back home runs

lol at these BS unwritten rules
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
The unspoken rules of baseball are stupid.

If I was a baseball player, I'd bunt to break up a perfect game and then laugh at the pitcher

and THAT is why you are ok with the punk ass s**t that goes on in the NBA. Etiquette, just because youre playing sports doesn't mean you shouldn't practice it.

lol, let's not divert this argument to your bias against the NBA.

Just because I think most of the unwritten rules of baseball are bulls**t doesn't mean that I dislike etiquette. Baseball pitchers crying about Howie Kendrik's bunt to win a game or Dallas Braden b***hing and moaning about Alex Rodriguez walking straight from third to first has nothing to do with etiqutte...it's just a bunch of bulls**t whining.

Etiquette is shaking hands with players after the game is over. And that's all fine and dandy.

But baseball's unwritten rules are crap.

you have no idea what etiquette is. it is respect within the game, not just after. You always talk about shaking hands etc, that is barely part of it. show etiquette during the game. walking over the mound is definitely disrespectful, you clearly never played any baseball.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

If I was a baseball player, I'd bunt to break up a perfect game and then laugh at the pitcher

and THAT is why you are ok with the punk ass s**t that goes on in the NBA. Etiquette, just because youre playing sports doesn't mean you shouldn't practice it.

Just because I think most of the unwritten rules of baseball are bulls**t doesn't mean that I dislike etiquette. Baseball pitchers crying about Howie Kendrik's bunt to win a game or Dallas Braden b***hing and moaning about Alex Rodriguez walking straight from third to first has nothing to do with etiqutte...it's just a bunch of bulls**t whining.

Etiquette is shaking hands with players after the game is over. And that's all fine and dandy.

you have no idea what etiquette is. it is respect within the game, not just after. You always talk about shaking hands etc, that is barely part of it. show etiquette during the game. walking over the mound is definitely disrespectful, you clearly never played any baseball.

Look...it's professional sports, not a goddamn tea party. The object of the game is to win and demolish your opponent and afterwards shake hands as a sign of respect.

Braden's tirade over Arod was both childish and obnoxious.

[ Edited by crzy on May 13, 2010 at 10:21:22 ]

Look...it's professional sports, not a goddamn tea party. The object of the game is to win and demolish your opponent and afterwards shake hands as a sign of respect.

Braden's tirade over Arod was both childish and obnoxious.

you can do both. win, and still do it with class (unlike KG).

You can say whatever you want about Braden, but its disrespectful to go over the mound. WTF does that have to do with beating your opponent for Arod? just don't do it. Plus he's now got a perfect game so he can pretty much say whatever he wants now.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I actually agree with you on Garnett.

And look some things get on my nerves too like when Ricky Davis or Andray Blatche try to pad their stats to get a triple double

And just about everything JR Smith does pisses me off.

So, yes, I care about etiquette to a degree.

However, when when Howie Kendrick has a walk-off bunt to win a game and Chris Perez claims that it was classless, or when Dallas Braden and ARod get into an argument over the path a player takes back to first base, or when people complain about walk-off celebrations. That stuff to me is just silly. Plain silly.

And look some things get on my nerves too like when Ricky Davis or Andray Blatche try to pad their stats to get a triple double

However, when when Howie Kendrick has a walk-off bunt to win a game and Chris Perez claims that it was classless, or when Dallas Braden and ARod get into an argument over the path a player takes back to first base, or when people complain about walk-off celebrations. That stuff to me is just silly. Plain silly.

Wow,Blatche....... that's garbage.
That's on the Wizards coach though.

Just like Singletary said, guys like Blatche are about them and not the team.
You destroy inner team morale like that.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Anybody with MLB.tv or able to watch the Astros/Cardinals game..Jim Joyce is behind home plate and the Cardinals announcers were just mentioning Joyce..

STRIIIIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I suppose you and I just disagree on a case to case basis then. The behavior of KG is the prime example of why I don't like the NBA (i am obviously still a W's fan) I just think its far too prevalent where players in the NBA get in each others faces over basic plays and try to act like tough guys. Hence why I think the NBA is full of thugs (maybe not in the literal sense as you take it, but in their behavior). There are obviously exceptions with classy players, but in general there is a lack of respect.

I think in baseball you just use those unwritten rules to show respect. I favor baseball etiquette on a case by case basis too I suppose because I don't mind a bunt to win a game, but I hate someone tryin to break up a no hitter just to be a punk. Also hate things like people starring at their homeruns, get running bub.
[ Edited by IdentityCrisis on May 13, 2010 at 2:13 PM ]

LOL at blatche
I'm okay with "don't disrespect your opposition" unwritten rules, even though I think some of them (like the Braden thing with the mound) are overly sensitive.

But what are COMPLETELY silly to me are the ones that dictate the competitive elements. Like not bunting to break up a no-hitter? Don't swing at the first pitch after back-to-back HRs? Don't work the count when your team's up or down by a lot? Are you serious? Just in case everyone forgot, the opposing player's JOB is to beat the living crap out of their opponents and do everything possible to rob them of satisfaction or joy. This is sports!!!
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I'm okay with "don't disrespect your opposition" unwritten rules, even though I think some of them (like the Braden thing with the mound) are overly sensitive.

But what are COMPLETELY silly to me are the ones that dictate the competitive elements. Like not bunting to break up a no-hitter? Don't swing at the first pitch after back-to-back HRs? Don't work the count when your team's up or down by a lot? Are you serious? Just in case everyone forgot, the opposing player's JOB is to beat the living crap out of their opponents and do everything possible to rob them of satisfaction or joy. This is sports!!!

I agree with this. I don't like the ones that dictate competitive elements (although they come into play less often, and I do like the no hitter one because I think it is out of spite that players bunt)
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

I agree with this. I don't like the ones that dictate competitive elements (although they come into play less often, and I do like the no hitter one because I think it is out of spite that players bunt)

How about this one in any sport:

Let's say an NBA team has held the opposition to ZERO points with 10 seconds remaining in the game. Should the opposition let them do something that's rare and probably have never been done before and not score in the last 10 seconds or should they try to score 1 point in the cheapest way possible to not have their name in the record books?

To me, a no hitter or a perfect game against is a disgrace on the opposition and the fact that their sorry arses cannot get a hit.

Also, I don't think they should consider bunts as hits because, technically, the batter isn't really swinging. They should record it a different way. Maybe have a b***h-hit stat.
[ Edited by Joecool on May 13, 2010 at 3:03 PM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Then you would get a 95 mile an hour fastball towards your head the next time you came up to bat

Shrug. Not a big deal.

it is if it hits you

It's a free trip to the DL. Getting hit by a baseball hurts your head.

Very true.
[ Edited by DaManRathman on May 13, 2010 at 3:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone