There are 187 users in the forums

The 2010 South Africa World Cup thread

• dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
I think that group A and group G are the toughest groups while Groups F and D are the weakest. anyone else agree or disagree?

I agree with Group G being the toughest and Group F being the weakest for sure.

Group A can be tough, but Mexico and Uruguay have had flop moments during qualifying so don't quite know if it's gets the "toughest" rank (South Africa does have a lot on it's plate and doesn't have the talent, even with the home-field advantage).

Group D can be challenging. Sure, Germany will sweep, but you have a Serbia team with a strong defense and a Ghana team playing in Africa, who if you watched them play show outrageous speed. Australia has had a stranglehold in the south pacific, but doesn't have the most experience with European teams. Wouldn't put it past either Ghana or Serbia to pull off some strong games against Germany and in the round of 16, especially if Ghana gets the chance in basically a homefield during an elimination game.

Looking forward to future analysis from you alex.

The flops during qualifying for Mexico were with Sven Goran Eriksson, now that Aguirre is in command their play has gotten significantly better, even winning in the U.S. against the U.S. for the first time in 11 years or so(yes, I know, both teams were using their C-teams). I also feel that Mexico's golden generation will have an impact in South Africa, every game Vela and Gio have more and more influence on Mexico's play. Also, Mexico will have at least 9 players in Europe on the squad. As for Uruguay, they just won 3-1 in Switzerland and their striker duo in Forlan and Suarez is extremely lethal, whether they have enough to advance im not sure as historically they have a losing record against Mexico and France.

So beating a Swiss team that horribly underachieved at home during Euro Cup automatically makes Uruguay competitive? They barely made the WC, yet beating the Swiss 3-1 in a friendly makes them better than Mexico and possible threat to france?

Oh, and just found out they are doing a bracket thing for the WC...so who's down for a Webzone contest? I'll set it up this week, just PM me your screen names on ESPN. Should be fun

PM sent!
Italy doesn't garner as much respect as they use too, i don't know why. They are consistently ranked in the top 5 of the FIFA rankings and are the DEFENDING WORLD CUP CHAMPS!!!!

Yes, they had a poor showing in the Euro, but the showing they had in the last world cup was dominating. They only allowed one goal the entire tournament, and that was an own goal against the US.

So to say they have an easy group and won't be ready come the knockout stage is ridiculous.

Italy is known for showing up and playing their best in big tournaments. They got rid of capello after the god awful Euro and brought back a proven coach in Lippi.

Viva Azurri!!!!

Originally posted by NINERFORLIFE12:
Italy doesn't garner as much respect as they use too, i don't know why. They are consistently ranked in the top 5 of the FIFA rankings and are the DEFENDING WORLD CUP CHAMPS!!!!

Yes, they had a poor showing in the Euro, but the showing they had in the last world cup was dominating. They only allowed one goal the entire tournament, and that was an own goal against the US.

So to say they have an easy group and won't be ready come the knockout stage is ridiculous.

Italy is known for showing up and playing their best in big tournaments. They got rid of capello after the god awful Euro and brought back a proven coach in Lippi.

Viva Azurri!!!!

They are getting old. Thats why. Its understandable. Arguably the best players previously on the national team are gone. The remaining top players are on their last legs, its sort of a changing of the guard and any time you have to do that, you go through a little bit of a rough patch.

And uh, capello has never managed Italy, he has been managing England since like 07. But I do like having Lippi back over Donadoni.
The black south african population here is going mad for the world cup. Interesting that the white south african population doesn't give a damn. Rugby and cricket are more important.
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:

Viva Azurri!!!!

They are getting old. Thats why. Its understandable. Arguably the best players previously on the national team are gone. The remaining top players are on their last legs, its sort of a changing of the guard and any time you have to do that, you go through a little bit of a rough patch.

And uh, capello has never managed Italy, he has been managing England since like 07. But I do like having Lippi back over Donadoni.

Kinda have to go with NINER on this one, the team is still legit and does hold the title of previous WC champions, They just have to hope they don't face Brazil or Spain, b/c Italy doesn't have the team that matches well against those two (unless of course Brazil and Spain kick the crap out of each other, leaving italy rested and ready)

Look, Italy has a pretty easy group stage and most likely will play cameroon in the round of 16. None of those teams match up well against them and will fall easily. Once Italy hits the quarters, they better hope the rest was good for them.

Viva Azurri!!!!

Kinda have to go with NINER on this one, the team is still legit and does hold the title of previous WC champions, They just have to hope they don't face Brazil or Spain, b/c Italy doesn't have the team that matches well against those two (unless of course Brazil and Spain kick the crap out of each other, leaving italy rested and ready)

Look, Italy has a pretty easy group stage and most likely will play cameroon in the round of 16. None of those teams match up well against them and will fall easily. Once Italy hits the quarters, they better hope the rest was good for them.

Haha agree with the guy who doesn't know who has been coaching Italy? Ok. I don't really care who you agree with, I was simply telling him why people are down on Italy. I don't care that they were world champs 4 years ago when the next cup gets here, that just means they are all 4 years older. They will make it to the elimination stage and like to the round of 8, but then face Spain imo and that will be tough. I'm a huge Italy fan so it's not like i'm rooting against them.

Viva Azurri!!!!

Haha agree with the guy who doesn't know who has been coaching Italy? Ok. I don't really care who you agree with, I was simply telling him why people are down on Italy. I don't care that they were world champs 4 years ago when the next cup gets here, that just means they are all 4 years older. They will make it to the elimination stage and like to the round of 8, but then face Spain imo and that will be tough. I'm a huge Italy fan so it's not like i'm rooting against them.

Lol, my bad for not clarifying that I was disagreeing with the negative opinions of the Italia team. I thought you were stating that as your opinion, not stating what others have said about Italia.

They do have a chance, but I don't have them surviving either Spain nor Brazil.

Viva Azurri!!!!

Lol, my bad for not clarifying that I was disagreeing with the negative opinions of the Italia team. I thought you were stating that as your opinion, not stating what others have said about Italia.

They do have a chance, but I don't have them surviving either Spain nor Brazil.

Well it is what others have said about Italy, but its hard to disagree.

Losing players like Nesta (although he wasn't there last time, I had hoped he would be this time) and Totti are big loses for the team. Zambrotta, Canavarro, Buffon, Gattuso, all these players are much older and it's tough to find young blood.

Btw, totti may still come back
[ Edited by IdentityCrisis on Mar 9, 2010 at 3:32 PM ]
would like to hear you guys' opinions on who you think can be a surprise team in the WC this summer

Originally posted by vrabbit:
would like to hear you guys' opinions on who you think can be a surprise team in the WC this summer

I have two teams I think may pull off possible trips to the quarterfinals:

1. South Korea

With a group consisting of Argentina, Greece, and Nigeria, you would think South Korea would be screwed from the get-to. But not so fast! They offer a different style of play compared to the other three squads with their speed and great striker play. Also have started to gain experience in the European soccer leagues.

Although their team is young, most still remember 2002 and will have the urge to pull off upsets over Greece and Nigeria. Also, most likely face france in round of 16, match up well against the frenchies (unless handballs are allowed).

2. Ghana

Not sure if this is a surprise team, but within Group D (Germany, Serbia, and Australia) their WC will not be terribly easy. Their overall youth and talent will help them win games, but their inexperience could play a negative role as well (as it did in finishing second for the African Nations Cup).

Talent-wise, i think they're only second to Ivory coast amongst the african nations. Speed-wise, only the South American teams can match. Not to mention the huge boost of playing in africa may help mend the inexperience. If they make it to Round of 16, most likely will face England (I kind of hope if Ghana makes it that the US gets second place so they face Germany, b/c if Ghana makes the elimination rounds, don't expect them to be content and definitely expect an enthusiastic group) and England most likely will look past them to possible future opponents, causing their demise.

Overall, I don't think there will be many upsets this WC, but I've been wrong may times

well the netherlands is obviously highly ranked and so can hardly be seen as a "surprise," however not many mention them in terms of winning the whole thing.
  • dman
  • Veteran

well the netherlands is obviously highly ranked and so can hardly be seen as a "surprise," however not many mention them in terms of winning the whole thing.

I was about to post the exact same thing ... they might finally have a team capable of winning it all, very impressive in qualifying.

And they seem to be more organized in defense now ... not to mention their ridiculously good attacking players.
Dutch better not finish 1E or they'll face Brasil in quarters

I hate how teams try to avoid other teams cause they're scared, thats what the f**king world cup is about.

Yep, they gonna get murked
Share 49ersWebzone