LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 393 users in the forums

Poll for NBA fans (crosses fingers.........)

Poll for NBA fans (crosses fingers.........)

Originally posted by crzy:
Following are comparisons of what James and Bryant had achieved by the age of 25 years and 22 days.

REGULAR SEASON STATS
Lebron James: 514 games, 27.7 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 6.8 apg, 1.7 spg, 0.9 bpg, 47.4% FG
Kobe Bryant: 496 games, 21.5 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 4.2 apg, 1.4 spg, 0.6 bpg, 45.6% FG

Playoff STATS
Lebron James: 60 games, 29.4 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 7.3 apg, 1.6 spg, 0.8 bpg, 45.2% FG
Kobe Bryant: 97 games, 22.2 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 4.2 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.8 bpg, 44.5% FG

Lebron also has the MVP award in his first seven years. James has finished in the top 10 in MVP voting every single year he's been in the league so far. Kobe didn't finish in the top 10 MVP voting until his fourth year and didn't win it until his 12th year. Also, Kobe didn't win a Finals MVP until his 13th season, so Lebron has six more years to do that before Kobe.

So, in summary, if Lebron's first seven years were better than Kobe's first seven years, than what makes anyone think that Lebron's next 10 years won't be better than anything Kobe has accomplished?

The fact that Kobe did all that as the 2nd option on his team is what you need to be paying attention to. Lebron was the #1, 2, and 3 options during his first 7 years. Something you seem to be easily dismissing, consciously or not.
Following are comparisons of what James and Bryant had achieved by the age of 25 years and 22 days.

REGULAR SEASON STATS

Playoff STATS

Lebron also has the MVP award in his first seven years. James has finished in the top 10 in MVP voting every single year he's been in the league so far. Kobe didn't finish in the top 10 MVP voting until his fourth year and didn't win it until his 12th year. Also, Kobe didn't win a Finals MVP until his 13th season, so Lebron has six more years to do that before Kobe.

So, in summary, if Lebron's first seven years were better than Kobe's first seven years, than what makes anyone think that Lebron's next 10 years won't be better than anything Kobe has accomplished?

because Kobe is one of the greatest jump shooters to ever play, and when your athleticism dies, you need a jumpshot. If Lebrons sustains his athleticism until he's 34 ( ten years from now), then he will win 5-7 titles. The thing is, he won't. So can he figure out some other part of his game, other than his freakish gift of athleticism? Kobe doesnt blow by anyone, he can barely even jump anymore, but his skills still make him (arguably) a top 3 player.

Kobe pretty much became better with age because he worked on his skill set and jump shot when his athleticism was failing, Lebron is gonna have to do the same. Will Lebron peak in a couple years and start regressing along with his athleticism? We'll see. I'll be right back in this thread eating my words if he doesn't.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DynastyChile:

REGULAR SEASON STATS

Playoff STATS

because Kobe is one of the greatest jump shooters to ever play, and when your athleticism dies, you need a jumpshot. If Lebrons sustains his athleticism until he's 34 ( ten years from now), then he will win 5-7 titles. The thing is, he won't. So can he figure out some other part of his game, other than his freakish gift of athleticism? Kobe doesnt blow by anyone, he can barely even jump anymore, but his skills still make him (arguably) a top 3 player.

Kobe pretty much became better with age because he worked on his skill set and jump shot when his athleticism was failing, Lebron is gonna have to do the same. Will Lebron peak in a couple years and start regressing along with his athleticism? We'll see. I'll be right back in this thread eating my words if he doesn't.

Kobe's ability to hit contested jumpshots is top notch...Jordan-esque. But overall, he's certainly not one of the best "shooters" in NBA history. You're overrating his shooting ability.

And secondly, you're acting like Kobe is the only individual who can alter his game after losing his legs. If Jason Richardson can adjust his game after losing his athleticism to become primarily a jump shooter and do it very successfully, then Lebron James can too.

Lebron will be fine.
[ Edited by crzy on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:40 PM ]
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

REGULAR SEASON STATS

Playoff STATS

The fact that Kobe did all that as the 2nd option on his team is what you need to be paying attention to. Lebron was the #1, 2, and 3 options during his first 7 years. Something you seem to be easily dismissing, consciously or not.

If Lebron was paired up with prime Shaq, Lebron would be the #1 option, and Shaq would be the #2 option.

Lebron came into the league as the Chosen One, while Kobe was some unknown kid who got traded for Vlade Divac and came off the bench behind Eddie Jones.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
I am enjoying this thread. I enjoy any opportunity to belittle Kobe, and the opportunities are rare these days since Chris Wallace, David Stern, and Jerry West conspired to help the Lakers win a championship.

REGULAR SEASON STATS

Playoff STATS

If Lebron was paired up with prime Shaq, Lebron would be the #1 option, and Shaq would be the #2 option.

Lebron came into the league as the Chosen One, while Kobe was some unknown kid who got traded for Vlade Divac and came off the bench behind Eddie Jones.

I'm sorry but this is getting ridiculous. That's a slap in the face of the dominance of Shaquille O'Neal. Anytime you have an elite level big man in his prime its foolish for him not to be the number one option. You forget that at the time trading starting level NBA talent for high schoolers was unheard of when that Kobe trade happened. Eddie Jones was an all star and a great defensive player. I'm more floored by your "Chosen One" comment. If Bill Cartwright--half the player O'Neal--was had trouble succumbing to the wants of Michael Jordan, you're telling me that Shaq in his prime with his ego as big as it was would have been prepared to step aside for LBJ??? He didn't do so for Kobe what makes you think he'd have done that for Lebron? Your first statement is utterly ridiculous.
I am enjoying this thread. I enjoy any opportunity to belittle Kobe, and the opportunities are rare these days since Chris Wallace, David Stern, and Jerry West conspired to help the Lakers win a championship.

If you wish to revisit the Gasol trade.......just take a look at Memphis and look at Marc Gasol's numbers lately. If he's in the East he's an all star this year. The Grizzlies got more for Pau Gasol then the Spurs gave up for Jefferson and the Cavs gave up for Shaq combined. You might enjoy belittling Kobe--many do--but if ever there was a conspiracy in the NBA explain why the Knicks haven't won an NBA title in 30 years and the Spurs have won 4. There are no conspiracy theories just fans of bitter teams who have no hopes at winning looking for something to point towards. It's not the Lakers fault or the NBA's fault that the Knicks and Warriors management suck.
[ Edited by JDeezy on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:53 PM ]
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Kobe's my favorite player in the NBA (I'm a Warriors fan) and Lebron is on another level than Kobe and has been for years now. Just give the Cavs Shaq like Kobe had early in the decade and Lebron could win a championship easily. Wait...... let me rephrase that. Give the Cavs Shaq IN HIS PRIIIIME and Lebron would have many rings to match Kobe's.

People that say things like this clearly didn't watch the playoffs when the Lakers had their three peat. Anyone with any knowledge of the game knew how much Kobe brought to the table, and how he wasn't just the "sidekick".

I did and I used to be a Lakers fan until the the Fantastic 4 broke up (Kobe/Shaq/Malone/Payton). You can't dismiss Shaq's presence on the court, he was a force to be reckoned with. Their triangle offense was built around both players and each had a huge part. Lebron is basically the whole Cavs team. If he were to leave, their team would definitely be a top 5 pick. When Shaq left the Lakers, weren't they the 8th seed and lost in the 1st Round ?

This statement is so ludicrous on so many levels. Do you have any idea who was on that team?

Im not going to argue with you on this. agree to disagree

Lets get back on the topic, sorry stoney.

Lebron single handedly takes Cavs to NBA Finals. Kobe struggles to make it out of the 1st Round with a team that had more talent than Lebron did......

gg

your so right dude.

King James

He was 9 when the Lakers won the title in 2000.

I was 12, but i remember it like it was yesterday. No one who watched those finals in 2000 as passionately for the Lakers as I did is a Warriors fan right now. Enough said.

What does this mean?

Means that neither you or I would give up being Lakers fans if any player left, and that he was never a real fan, especially at nine. and to call Kobe out like that when you clearly dont know what you're talking about is pretty lame, about as lame as going from a Laker to a Warrior fan

Having many friends that were Warriors fans rubbed off on me. I've always been a Kobe fan though, that's the reason why I was a (I guess you can say bandwagon) Lakers fan.

I find this interesting though

REGULAR SEASON STATS

Playoff STATS

That just makes this whole thing that much funnier.
Kobe's my favorite player in the NBA (I'm a Warriors fan)

I'm sorry, I used to be a bandwagon Lakers fan when I started getting into basketball. Don't worry I'm a true Warriors fan though. Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, and Brian Cardinal were some of my favorite players LMAO
I am enjoying this thread. I enjoy any opportunity to belittle Kobe.

...and that's all you need to know.

Originally posted by valrod33:
10 years of Jordan
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
10 years of Jordan

That just makes this whole thing that much funnier.
It does. You people slurp LeBron for putting a teammate in a position where they could thrive, and then you mock Kobe for doing the same thing.

Every top notch player has their best years next to Kobe. I wonder why?!??! Shannon Brown & Smush Parker spend time at the end of the Cavalier bench, never doing anything...and then they go to the Lakers and look like NBA players.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jan 26, 2010 at 12:09 AM ]
Lebron > Kobe in the end. He might even be this year. What Laker fans fail to realize is Lebron is still growing and learning and getting better. And he is still a young guy. Kobe had a great run with the most dominant physical center of the era + 1 on his own. But he is getting older and is already injured a lot lately. Time is running out on Kobe. Faster than you think. It will be Lebron's world soon.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Lebron > Kobe in the end. He might even be this year. What Laker fans fail to realize is Lebron is still growing and learning and getting better. And he is still a young guy. Kobe had a great run with the most dominant physical center of the era + 1 on his own. But he is getting older and is already injured a lot lately. Time is running out on Kobe. Faster than you think. It will be Lebron's world soon.

He's still growing and getting better? How cute!
Share 49ersWebzone