LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

2010 BCS NCG - Texas vs Alabama

I could add that if Alabama had tried a stupid fake punt in their first possession deep in their own territory in the first quarter against Boise St. And then followed that up with a no coverage after a kickoff, they would be down about 3 TD's. It makes me think that they could easily be out coached, because that was some bad football right there.
Originally posted by Juradon:
I got the feeling that Boise St or even TCU would have matched up very well against Alabama. And before anyone doubts that they could win, just look at last year when Utah embarrassed Alabama. Utah is a Mountain West team as is TCU.

I still rank Alabama #1 but I think a game with Boise St would be a good game. Better than the game against Texas by far. Boise St just seems to be lights out in these big games, especially when everyone wants to over look them.

I obviously would love to see that game. Boise plays off being the underdog and i think they could make it a good game against Bama. Not saying they would win but they definitely wouldn't roll over.

14-0 and us in Boise are very proud of our team. Not many outside Boise even gave them a chance against TCU. The defense(to the surprise of many) really stepped up against a great running attack. Not sure how they'd do against that beastly Alabama running game though.

Alabama is the deserving champ and I'm not going to dispute that at all. Just would love to see Boise get a crack at them.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by CRH49:
McCoy was out of the game by the time I got home, so I didn't see the "hit" originally. I saw it on the highlight shows later. Didn't look like much to me, didn't even look like it was right on the shoulder. Did he wimp out on the big stage? How much does this hurt his draft stock? I wanted the Niners to draft him at the beginning of the season, but realized he needs a west coast system to succeed, and after last night's game, I have even more doubts.

LOL to this comment. Ya.. I'm sure that McCoy "wimped" out and decided to let his team down in the biggest game of his life. That was a major shot directly to his throwing shoulder. I guess Joe Montana should be accused of that too since he got knocked out of two playoff games against the NY Giants effectivly costing the Niners the wins. Injuries happen and sometimes at the worst possible moment.

I'm not a huge McCoy fan and never thought he should be a first rd pick. However, I dont think this hurts his draft stock.

yes, I know injuries happen. But on the replays it didn't look like the defender was anywhere near his shoulder, and I don't see him slamming in to the O-lineman either. It looks like he was hit more in the back.

And it wouldn't be the first time players fake injuries, see Humphries, Stan and concussions.

looking at the hit, again it doesn't look like it hit his shoulder, I can't see what would have knocked him out of the game, that's why I asked the question. Maybe actual UT fans can say if he has a history of wilting in the big one sort of like Peyton Manning used to have.

What was up with the Texas defender intercepting the ball on the fake punt. It looks like he cost his team 20 yards of field position. He should have knocked it down and taken it at the original Bama line of scrimmage.
McCoy was out of the game by the time I got home, so I didn't see the "hit" originally. I saw it on the highlight shows later. Didn't look like much to me, didn't even look like it was right on the shoulder. Did he wimp out on the big stage? How much does this hurt his draft stock? I wanted the Niners to draft him at the beginning of the season, but realized he needs a west coast system to succeed, and after last night's game, I have even more doubts.

LOL to this comment. Ya.. I'm sure that McCoy "wimped" out and decided to let his team down in the biggest game of his life. That was a major shot directly to his throwing shoulder. I guess Joe Montana should be accused of that too since he got knocked out of two playoff games against the NY Giants effectivly costing the Niners the wins. Injuries happen and sometimes at the worst possible moment.

I'm not a huge McCoy fan and never thought he should be a first rd pick. However, I dont think this hurts his draft stock.

What was up with the Texas defender intercepting the ball on the fake punt. It looks like he cost his team 20 yards of field position. He should have knocked it down and taken it at the original Bama line of scrimmage.

I never thought of that. I'm sure he didn't think about it either, he only had like a second to react.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
No way was he faking or embellishing. I guarantee this game meant more to him than anything in the world. He is very tough and for the most part has taken a beating most of his career and always got back up. It's ludicrous that anyone would suggest otherwise, but I'm hearing it here in AUstin. People actually think he was more concerned about his NFL career. A Texan from a small town who dreamed of playing QB for UT his whole life.

yes, I know injuries happen. But on the replays it didn't look like the defender was anywhere near his shoulder, and I don't see him slamming in to the O-lineman either. It looks like he was hit more in the back.

And it wouldn't be the first time players fake injuries, see Humphries, Stan and concussions.

looking at the hit, again it doesn't look like it hit his shoulder, I can't see what would have knocked him out of the game, that's why I asked the question. Maybe actual UT fans can say if he has a history of wilting in the big one sort of like Peyton Manning used to have.

When I saw it on TV I thought the same as you. But ESPN this morning had an angle at slow-mo that clearly showed he took a helmet directly on his right shoulder. And it was some kind of nerve damage. I highly doubt he was faking.

Anyone else get sick of the announcer saying he hopes Engram's father is watching this? I sure as hell hope he DOESN'T get to see this. The whole point of prison is to take away your rights, like your right to watch your son grow up and win national title games. Prisoners shouldn't be sitting around watching college football. If he wanted to see it he shouldn't have broke the law.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dobophile:
^ I agree completely re: Ingram's father. I have no sympathy for that piece of crap. Why should I care about his feelings of pride or satisfaction?

Ditto. I'm supposed to feel sorry for a guy who played in the NFL for years and still managed to be a criminal? Tre Newton has a similar stary, father played ball, blew his money, sold (MASS) dope, yet somehow avoided jail and tried to eat him on more than one occasion.
Originally posted by TX9R:
^ I agree completely re: Ingram's father. I have no sympathy for that piece of crap. Why should I care about his feelings of pride or satisfaction?

Ditto. I'm supposed to feel sorry for a guy who played in the NFL for years and still managed to be a criminal? Tre Newton has a similar stary, father played ball, blew his money, sold (MASS) dope, yet somehow avoided jail and tried to eat him on more than one occasion.

My girlfriend kept screaming, "He doesn't have cancer, he's a criminal!"

I agree with you guys, I hope he didn't get to watch the game. He's a f**king felon!
Originally posted by pantstickle:

I agree with you guys, I hope he didn't get to watch the game. He's a f**king felon!

Hmmmmm. So who here agrees?
Texan
Texan
Texan
Hippie liberal california kid

Maybe Tay-hoss ain't so bad after all. I like pickup trucks, lots of land and the beef at Houston airport was unbelievable. Ut oh.
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:
I got the feeling that Boise St or even TCU would have matched up very well against Alabama. And before anyone doubts that they could win, just look at last year when Utah embarrassed Alabama. Utah is a Mountain West team as is TCU.

I still rank Alabama #1 but I think a game with Boise St would be a good game. Better than the game against Texas by far. Boise St just seems to be lights out in these big games, especially when everyone wants to over look them.

I obviously would love to see that game. Boise plays off being the underdog and i think they could make it a good game against Bama. Not saying they would win but they definitely wouldn't roll over.

14-0 and us in Boise are very proud of our team. Not many outside Boise even gave them a chance against TCU. The defense(to the surprise of many) really stepped up against a great running attack. Not sure how they'd do against that beastly Alabama running game though.

Alabama is the deserving champ and I'm not going to dispute that at all. Just would love to see Boise get a crack at them.

Boise Niner, I actually called that game. I told my son, Boise St would win, if the BSU defense could take TCU out of their game plan on offense. Bingo, that's exactly how it went down and TCU didn't really know what to do.

Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Hmmmmm. So who here agrees?
Texan
Texan
Texan
Hippie liberal california kid

Maybe Tay-hoss ain't so bad after all. I like pickup trucks, lots of land and the beef at Houston airport was unbelievable. Ut oh.

Lemme guess, you've heard that Austin is nice.

I have heard that.

Meh, I could never leave Cali though. Weather, beach, mountains and mostly family.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:

When I saw it on TV I thought the same as you. But ESPN this morning had an angle at slow-mo that clearly showed he took a helmet directly on his right shoulder. And it was some kind of nerve damage. I highly doubt he was faking.

Anyone else get sick of the announcer saying he hopes Engram's father is watching this? I sure as hell hope he DOESN'T get to see this. The whole point of prison is to take away your rights, like your right to watch your son grow up and win national title games. Prisoners shouldn't be sitting around watching college football. If he wanted to see it he shouldn't have broke the law.

No way was he faking or embellishing. I guarantee this game meant more to him than anything in the world. He is very tough and for the most part has taken a beating most of his career and always got back up. It's ludicrous that anyone would suggest otherwise, but I'm hearing it here in AUstin. People actually think he was more concerned about his NFL career. A Texan from a small town who dreamed of playing QB for UT his whole life.

thank you both. Like I wrote, at the beginning of the season I was hoping McCoy would end up wearing red and gold. Still wouldn't be disappointed if we picked up a west coast coordinator who knows how to develop a young QB. I didn't see the play live. It's just that same replay I saw posted above, made me scratch my head and wonder how the hell his shoulder got injured from that, because it's not obvious from that angle.

And re Engram's father. I agree with the Texans and hippy truck drivin' Californian, f**k him.

Boise Niner, I actually called that game. I told my son, Boise St would win, if the BSU defense could take TCU out of their game plan on offense. Bingo, that's exactly how it went down and TCU didn't really know what to do.

Whoa!! You're tellin' me that in a matchup between two teams, you were able to successfully guess which one would win? Crazy!!!
  • TheNatureBoy
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
What a rip off. This was like watching an old Tyson fight where it's over before you're pizza is even ready. All that build up and the game is over 2 minutes in. Texas had no chance without their best player. The fact they even kept it close leaves no doubt they would have dominated with Colt in the game. No doubt.

No doubt? I was rooting for Texas to win because I cant stand Saben but I just dont see how you can make that statement. Bama played a very conservative game and sat on the lead. It certainly would have been a different type of game but I dont think you can say without bias that Texas wins without a doubt.

Texas D was dominating the passing game and bottling up the run early, they were flying all over the field. We were driving the field when Colt went down. That took the air out of the entire team and the play calling became so predictable Bama really didn't have to work at all facing a true freshman who has pretty much never played. Had Colt at least lasted a quarer we would have built a double digit lead and forced Bama to pass, which they clearly could not do. Even with all that, UT still had a chance to win. Bama is the luckiest team I have ever seen. The one positive is that maybe Mack Brown will realize VY is gone and stop putting our QB in these positions with this ridiculous spread offense that gets guys hurt.

You can't predict the outcome of the game based only the first few minutes. Momentum shifts constantly in football games. From what I recall Colt was sacked like 3 times, Bama didn't even start to run Ingram until after Colt was out, and Saban gave UT a gift with that boneheaded 4th and long fake punt call.

True, but also when teams jump out quick and early you generally have the makings of a blowout, snowball effect. COlt going out clearly relaxed Bama and caused Texas to panic and abandon their gameplan. It was obvious Bama's plan was like against FLA where they were going to pass early to set up the run, Texas destroyed that. Once Colt went out and we went in to Jimmy Raye mode, there was no need for Bama to do anything other than play field position. They won and congrats to them, but all things considered I beleive it would not have been close had Colt played the whole game.

Blah Blah Blah and if my my aunt had n***ts then she would be well you know the rest. For you to say if Colt had played Texas would have won is conjecture the truth is we don't know because he got KNOCKED OUT on a clean football play. Bama's conservative play calling is the ONLY THING that stopped them. Texas didn't detroy anything. Bama had TWO running backs go over 100 yards dude. They had you guys on skates (the kind of football the 49ers want to run). Just accept the lost and learn to learn to love it cause its the best thing going today....RTR

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

Whoa!! You're tellin' me that in a matchup between two teams, you were able to successfully guess which one would win? Crazy!!!

Share 49ersWebzone