LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 394 users in the forums

Adam James is a p***y -- Leach fired

the biased espn reporting of this situation is ridiculous. they quoted some no name player who's never seen the playing field criticizing the coach but had no mention of graham harrell's letter at all. makes me want to puke. so one sided. fire craig james, i hate him
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by cestmoi:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by dobophile:
Man, too bad Kansas already canned Mangino and snagged Turner Gill.

Wait . . . do you guys want Mangino the Hut?

LOL, Mangino was actually the first guy I thought of when Leach got fired, but only because both were let go due to complaints filed by athletes.

I'd like to hear from any Tech fans - any interest in the Mangina? Or do you think his reputation for being a big meanie will scare off your AD?

I would also love to hear Crabtree talk about what happened to Leach...

If Tech can't handle an un-investigated claim by a single player, they wouldn't take Mangino.

There's a lot of comparisons between the two situations, but they are completely different. Until droves of former Tech athletes come forward about indiscretions by Leach, there is no comparison.

Very similar guys in that they don't really "play the game" of shmoozing the alumni and higher ups. Both from the Stoops tree, I'm guessing he doesn't teach that side of being a coach to these guys, and in college it's a huge part unfortunately.
Oh and as far as those recruits, I guarantee not one of them will come to Tech now, why would they?

Only 2 out of 20 recruits have opened it back up. TX9R you need to follow more college ball, you would realize most recruits commit because of the school, not coach.
For example, when Mangino got fired I think they only lost 3 guys out of over 20 in the class.

You're dead wrong on that. Coaches are what attract players, I follow plenty of college ball. Mangino? HA! How good were his recruits to begin with? Castoffs that UT didn't want is all they've gotten with him. What kind of recruits did Alabama get 5 years ago? How good were Texas and OU, in the 90s? How's Nebraska done since Osborne left? Michigan? What about USC before Carroll? I could go on and on. Don't kid yourself. Maybe they don't lose all the recruits this year (and remember, he was just fired less than 24 hours ago and they already lost 2?), but wait a few years and you'll see I'm right. It's not like they were getting 4 and 5 star guys with Leach to begin with.

For further proof, look at Ron Zook at Florida and Urban Meyer at Florida.

When coaches are fired, as long as the entire staff is not decimated, most recruits stay.
The proof is easy to find, just look at recruiting classes after coaches are let go.
This time you're wrong TX9R, 10 players have been interviewed by Texas Tech's premium message board, 7 said they committed because of the school, two guys said they'd only met leach once, and it made no difference at all.
The only guys Tech will lose are the soft commits and the superstars who will probably go to Florida now.
He was never locked anywhere. He was told to stay put and had people watching him to make sure he was still there and doing ok.

Now I did hear a rumor that Leach said if he left he was kicked off the team but he was never locked anywhere.

Here is something you won't see on ESPN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5Q_5nYwWLU
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by joey82:
He was never locked anywhere. He was told to stay put and had people watching him to make sure he was still there and doing ok.

Now I did hear a rumor that Leach said if he left he was kicked off the team but he was never locked anywhere.

Leach should have sent him home.

And then he should have apologized for the entire misunderstanding instead of having his lawyer file a lawsuit.

Basically, he is responsible for his own firing.
Originally posted by crzy:

And then he should have apologized for the entire misunderstanding instead of having his lawyer file a lawsuit.

So a coach should send every injured player home then?

No, Leach should not have sent him home. Leach has a rule where all injured players still have to attend practice. James had a mild concussion, and the best thing for him was to be in a cool, dark room...so that's where he went. He wasn't "locked" in, he was being supervised by the training staff.

And he filed a lawsuit because they suspended him without even having an investigation. All he wanted to do was coach the bowl games. I don't see how anyone can say Leach was in the wrong here...they'll say "he locked James in a dark room!!". OK, that's James' story, but what about Leach's story? Oh wait, we didn't get to hear that because he was fired without due process.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

No, Leach should not have sent him home. Leach has a rule where all injured players still have to attend practice. James had a mild concussion, and the best thing for him was to be in a cool, dark room...so that's where he went. He wasn't "locked" in, he was being supervised by the training staff.

And he filed a lawsuit because they suspended him without even having an investigation. All he wanted to do was coach the bowl games. I don't see how anyone can say Leach was in the wrong here...they'll say "he locked James in a dark room!!". OK, that's James' story, but what about Leach's story? Oh wait, we didn't get to hear that because he was fired without due process.

He filed a lawsuit against his own employer. He basically fired himself.

Go sue your boss and see if you keep your job.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
This is the same coach that made that fat girlfriends comment and backed Mangino.

He always came off as an arrogant a*****e to me.

If I have a reason to sue my boss, I would.

This is the same coach that made that fat girlfriends comment and backed Mangino.

Oh no, he made a mean comment!!

Leach has the highest graduation rate and the lowest crime rate among players in the Big XII. You're way off in questioning his character.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

And you'd have lost your job.

THis entire issue could have been a minor issue if Leach acted differently.

And you'd have lost your job.

THis entire issue could have been a minor issue if Leach acted differently.

You could also say that this could have been a minor issue if the Texas Tech administration acted differently. Like by performing an investigation before suspending your coach who has had no prior indiscretions.

The administration wanted him gone, they were just waiting for any reason.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

Leach has the highest graduation rate and the lowest crime rate among players in the Big XII. You're way off in questioning his character.

Bobby Knight also had high graduation rates while choking his players, so that stat doesn't mean much to me.

Bobby Knight also had high graduation rates while choking his players, so that stat doesn't mean much to me.

Well whenever droves of players come forward and talk about how Leach treated them so bad, feel free to talk about how he deserved to be fired.

But that hasn't happened, and it won't happen. In fact, the opposite is happening, and we have former players coming forward to defend Leach's character and how he treated his players.
Share 49ersWebzone