Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by NinerFanMT:
Originally posted by BigRon:
Originally posted by 49erWill:
I think its official

So it looks like the Jays get nothing?? lol

Originally posted by mlbtraderumors.com:
3:56pm: Rosenthal and Morosi write that pitcher Phillippe Aumont of the Mariners and outfielder Michael Taylor of the Phillies are among the players heading to Toronto in the trade. They say an agreement is in place to send Halladay to the Phillies and Lee to the Mariners.

Its not that they get nothing, they just get nobodies.

I actually feel sorry for ya King. This deal is horrible for you guys.

yup it's pretty pathetic

I wonder how many players the Jays will get. The phrase "among the players" suggests more than just the two mentioned.
This is still a head-scratcher for me. Why swap Lee for Halladay? Makes no sense.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
This is still a head-scratcher for me. Why swap Lee for Halladay? Makes no sense.

I'd wait and see who the Phils gave up before casting judgement. I'm going to take a guess and say the Mariners provided most of the ammunition.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

I think most baseball people would say that Halladay is an upgrade over Lee. I also think they may have better balance in their starting staff in terms of lefty-righty. Remember, they have Hamels, Haap, and Moyer who are all left handed. The winner in this deal are the Mariners. They just got themselves a #1 stud pitcher.
nice Mariners
I LOVE JACK ZDURIENCIK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:
Part of the reason for this trade was that the Phillies felt that Lee was asking for to much money, and the Phillies felt that they could not resign him. The story indicated that Halladay is looking for 5 years, $100 million (with a discount to play for the Phillies). So let's say the discount is $10 million, making this an $18 million per season deal. If that's the case, and the Phillies felt Lee was unsignable, then what was he asking for????

I heard 23mil/year

Originally posted by 49erman5692:
nice Mariners

Another M's fan?
Originally posted by BigRon:
Originally posted by 49erWill:
I think its official

So it looks like the Jays get nothing?? lol

Originally posted by mlbtraderumors.com:
3:56pm: Rosenthal and Morosi write that pitcher Phillippe Aumont of the Mariners and outfielder Michael Taylor of the Phillies are among the players heading to Toronto in the trade. They say an agreement is in place to send Halladay to the Phillies and Lee to the Mariners.

Its not that they get nothing, they just get nobodies.

For the Jays sake I hope they get more than just those 2 players. Taylor is good ( the 5th rated Phillies prospect in 09) but the prize was Dominic Brown who is their top prospect. They should have held out for Brown. Aumont was the Mariners 3rd rated prospect. That just is not enough to deal Roy Halliday. There better be a lot more than that!
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Blue Jays
Interesting developments...

MLBTR

7:04pm: Drabek and "other top [Phillies] prospects" will be involved in the deal, according to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com (via Twitter). According to Salisbury, Brown will remain with the club.

6:55pm: J.A. Happ and Joe Blanton took physicals and could be a part of the deal, writes Rob Maaddi of the Associated Press. Domonic Brown also took a physical today, who is said to be coveted by the Jays.

6:46pm: "People" tell Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun that Aumont is not a part of the deal (via Twitter).
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
nice Mariners

Originally posted by SacRock14:
Interesting developments...

MLBTR

7:04pm: Drabek and "other top [Phillies] prospects" will be involved in the deal, according to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com (via Twitter). According to Salisbury, Brown will remain with the club.

6:55pm: J.A. Happ and Joe Blanton took physicals and could be a part of the deal, writes Rob Maaddi of the Associated Press. Domonic Brown also took a physical today, who is said to be coveted by the Jays.

6:46pm: "People" tell Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun that Aumont is not a part of the deal (via Twitter).

I hear Michael Taylor's name being thrown around too. If the Jays get both of them, that is a King's ransom.
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Wow, even after Lee was so damn dominant too. I think the phillies blew it to be honest.

Im a dodgers fan...but if the phils were to have kept both halladay and lee...pfff forget it

Im so disappointed the dodgers didnt go after halladay cause we really need an ace asap
I simply cannot believe the Phillies unloaded Cliff Lee for the names being thrown around from Seattle. There isnt one player that is a sure fire star that the Phillies are getting back and not even close to what they are giving up for Halliday.

Halladay-Lee-Hamels-Martinez-Haap-Blanton WOW.. I think that would have been almost a given to win the title with the lineup they have. Even if you cant sign Lee long term it would have made all the sense in the world to go for it next year.

Seattle seems like they got the best of the deal but only if they at least win the division next year. Lee is basically going to be a 1 year rental and they did give up 3 young players.

Toronto did pretty well in my opinion with the players they are getting. Drabek is a potential stud and rumors have been thrown out that they will take Michael Taylor and deal him for Brett Wallace from the A's. IN any case, they needed to rebuild and they seem to have done well.

Phillies.. well they did get Halladay but I think they paid a lot to get him and lost a chance to be WAY more dominant than they Yanks next yr.
Originally posted by dobophile:
Wow, Seattle just stole a left-handed ace to complement King Felix.

Definitely, and the Jays got a ton in return for Halladay. I think the Phillies came out the worst in all of this.
Get ready for the Phillies to make yet another run for a World Series championship!

[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 17, 2009 at 00:30:27 ]
Share 49ersWebzone