LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

Mark Ingram Named 2009 Heisman Trophy Winner

Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by joey82:
Heisman has been a complete joke for years now. Honestly, I think most people feel the same way about it and thus they really don't care that much who wins it.

Look at the last ten or so winners and not only did most of those players not do crap in the NFL they also weren't necessarily that great in college either.

Honestly they just need to change the description from most outstanding college player to The QB or RB that leads an undefeated or one loss team to a BCS bowl.

You have to go back further than that. The last significant Heisman winner I can think of is Barry Sanders. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Eddie George 95
Charles Woodson 97
RIcky Williams 98
Carson Palmer 02

All solid careers.
i suspect that what won it for ingram, in the end, was fact that his team played florida the week before the voting ended, and he played well....that was fresh in many voters minds, i suspect, who waited til last minute to submit their votes....mccoy didnt play well vs nebraska, and gerhart didnt play at all that week, to their disadvantage
Do not have a link but from what they said on KNBR last week is that Gerhart went up against more top 5-10 D's than Ingram. I think Gerhart should have won
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by joey82:
Heisman has been a complete joke for years now. Honestly, I think most people feel the same way about it and thus they really don't care that much who wins it.

Look at the last ten or so winners and not only did most of those players not do crap in the NFL they also weren't necessarily that great in college either.

Honestly they just need to change the description from most outstanding college player to The QB or RB that leads an undefeated or one loss team to a BCS bowl.

You have to go back further than that. The last significant Heisman winner I can think of is Barry Sanders. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Eddie George 95
Charles Woodson 97
RIcky Williams 98
Carson Palmer 02

All solid careers.

Solid, sure. Elite? Nope.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Originally posted by ninerempire25:
Heisman = Popularity

Gephart lead the nation in MOST rushing categories & didn't win .

WTF

He should have won it.

Maybe just maybe they also took into account team record, conference strength, team accomplishments. Maybe...

isnt the heisman an individual award though?

Yes. And one individual has his team playing in the National Championship. The other individual doesn't.

Mark Ingram is certainly deserving

Looking at the games he struggled, bama struggled as well.

Gerhart was deserving as well (i probably would have voted for him since I watched more stanford games as well)

Most of the games he had low numbers in, were Alabama blowouts. I'm not gonna say I watched those games, but there seems to be some correlation there.

Second to last game of the season, against Auburn:

Ingram had 16 rushes for 30 yards

Alabama won at the end, 26-21

You don't deserve the Heisman when you turn in a performance like that at the end of the season in a rivalry game.

Should have gone Gerhart--Suh--Ingram IMO.

Ingram seems like a good kid though, so I'm not really that upset that he won it.
Share 49ersWebzone