There are 248 users in the forums

What's Your Definition Of A Sport?

Sport: Football, basketball, hockey, soccer, baseball, track and field, swimming

Not a sport: Golf, NASCAR, bowling

Sorry, but if a 59-year-old man can almost win one of the major titles in your "sport", then it's not much of a sport.
I'm not sure what a sport is, but I have long thought that if you can drink beer while doing it, then it's not a sport. Beer drinking = activity.
Originally posted by fzrdave:
I'm not sure what a sport is, but I have long thought that if you can drink beer while doing it, then it's not a sport. Beer drinking = activity.

one exception to that rule would be rugby. go to a tournament and you'll see players downing beers between matches all the time.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Where do these fit in...

Lacrosse

Waterpolo

Polo

Figure Skating

Synchronized Swimming

Cricket

Croquet

Squash

Surfing

Curling

Luge

Skeleton
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Where do these fit in...

Lacrosse

Waterpolo

Polo

Figure Skating

Synchronized Swimming

Cricket

Croquet

Squash

Surfing

Curling

Luge

Skeleton

Into the "Rich white people" section.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Where do these fit in...

Lacrosse

Waterpolo

Polo

Figure Skating

Synchronized Swimming

Cricket

Croquet

Squash

Surfing

Curling

Luge

Skeleton

Into the "Rich white people" section.

surfing for rich white people?????
Only Americans could speculate on whether or not cricket is a sport.

So lets break it down. What exactly turns an activity into a sport and why?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
If baseball is a sport, than so is cricket.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Only Americans could speculate on whether or not cricket is a sport.

So lets break it down. What exactly turns an activity into a sport and why?

I'm not American
This has been done many times before so all of the stupid "golf isnt a sport" comments will come out. It does make me laugh considering the guys who say that probably cant shoot under a 100 or have a clue how tough it is to really be even a single handicap golfer.

You dont have to be in your 20s and in amazing physical shape to play a "sport" Golf requires incredible hand eye coordination and as much mental focus than any of the other sports you can name. The funny thing is... look at guys like Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley try to play golf. Jordan is fair at best and Barkley is a buffoon.
Ask them if they think its a sport.

in my opinion, and thats the only opinion that matters...

a sport requires 1 of 2 things.

1.) offense and defense.

which in turn is the same as my number 2.

2.) what you do while engaged in sport, has to effect the way your competitor plays. you have to react based upon what they do.

so competitive cheerleading is the same synchronized s**t over and over and what their competitors do, does no affect their routine.
so not a sport.

understand?

golf is interesting. if golf is a sport, then so is putt putt golf.

and horse shoes.

its difficult, yes. im not good at it. but golf being hard doesn't make it a sport.

same with a spelling be.
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by fzrdave:

one exception to that rule would be rugby. go to a tournament and you'll see players downing beers between matches all the time.

Yeah, but that's between matches (not games?). There's no way you can drink beer while playing rugby. It would just simply be impossible. Now bowling, on the other hand, I have found that drinking beer helps between rolls and tequila shooters really help a lot up to a certain point where it then all goes horribly wrong really fast.
Originally posted by dobophile:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by dobophile:
Not golf.

Déjà vu.

Not golf.

Vujà Dé.
By definition, f**king is a sport.

I compete against myself, and against the schmuks that the whore I'm bangin' at the time has been with in the past. And I sweat like a S.O.B. Payment = The almighty orgasm.
athletic ability needed

scoring

a ball/equipment
Share 49ersWebzone