There are 148 users in the forums

What's the toughest job/moment in sports?

What's the toughest job/moment in sports?

You've probably seen the EPSN the Mag commercial where athletes like Cole Hamels and Ocho Cinco are arguing over the bigger moment or harder job in sports.

What do you think is the toughest thing to accomplish in sports when it comes to big, game winning moments?

I think I have to give my nod to the winning goalie in OT hockey. It's the only one that requires absolute perfection to win, especially when so many things are out of your control. And there is no second chance, your team can't make a comeback after a slight mistake.

Plus, it can last for 10 seconds or 4+ periods, so you have to be both 100% focused and in the moment, but have enough stamina to go as long as necessary.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Scoring a goal in soccer, not only is it the most difficult it can be the most important.
If I had to make 2 free throws with barely any time left to tie the game then that would be hard as hell IMO.
Originally posted by dman:
Scoring a goal in soccer, not only is it the most difficult it can be the most important.

this.
I'm really not a soccer fan, but I would have to go with scoring a GW goal he really hard and rare that you see teams score within the last 5 minutes of a game.
I'd have to say GW soccer goal and in hockey too
Voting for Pablo is wearing me out.
Originally posted by 1251alex:

this.

obvious answer.. lock the thread

Have you played soccer? Some of those players can score goals with ease. It's all about your surrounding cast. If they can get you the ball, you'll score.
  • dman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:

Have you played soccer? Some of those players can score goals with ease. It's all about your surrounding cast. If they can get you the ball, you'll score.

Yes ... Ive been playing for over 20 years.

And you think scoring that goal (in hockey or soccer) is harder than stopping it from being scored?

ANYONE can score the goal, even your own teammates. But regardless of who did it, how, if it was skill or luck or whatever, if you let ONE goal in, your team loses, so you have to be perfect.

The guy scoring the winning goal gets the most glory, but I think the harder job is the goalie who DOESN'T allow the goal to be scored.

Because even though scoring is relatively rare in the those sports, it inevitably happens. (In a overtime, playoff situation it HAS to, or the game never ends.) There are countless ways to actually score the goal, but the only way to win is to be perfect in goal.
Bottom of the 9th, Full Count, 2 outs, down runs.

Winning the Daytona 500 or.......

.....finishing Talledega in one piece.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Jul 7, 2009 at 2:10 PM ]
Going into the 12th round in a boxing match and needing to KO someone to win.

Share 49ersWebzone