LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

San Antonio Spurs Offseason thread

After what Parker said about not being competitive anymore and seeing Pop's response, trade rumors don't surprise me. I wish the draft class was better.
Originally posted by dobo:
Parker for Casspi and #7 pick?

I would take it. Casspi would fit in great in the Spurs system.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Parker for Casspi and #7 pick?

I would take it. Casspi would fit in great in the Spurs system.

I agree. George Hill can take Tony's spot. If we can somehow unload Jefferson too, Casspi can take Jefferson's spot. Looks like the Spurs are eyeing Klay Thompson or Jonas Valanciunas if they move up. Getting either of the 2 would be great IMO. With Thompson, you'd get, maybe, the best shooter in the draft. With Jonas you'd get the Center, we all know they need.

If they hold on to #29, say they drafted Thompson at #7, they could pick up Jeremy Tyler who'd be a PF/C, has good size, he's raw but has potential. Good rebounder and can hit the mid-range shot. Or Donatas Motiejunas, who's great offensively, but has poor defense. But he's young and can be taught. Say if Jonas is the pick at #7, someone like Tyler Honeycutt/Jordan Hamilton/David Bertans could all help them in the long run.
Parker, Hill, and RJ are being actively shopped. I think Blair should also be shopped.

Dumping RJ is going to be costly.

Yeah, no one is going to want to pick up RJ's contract. Heard Kings were interested in the trade til Spurs tried to include RJ, then it cooled.

I hope we keep Hill and Blair.
Damn, I have been away and just heard this on the radio.

I'm all good for dealing Parker. Teams have won without top level PG's including us with a very one-dimensional Avery Johnson.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Damn, I have been away and just heard this on the radio.

I'm all good for dealing Parker. Teams have won without top level PG's including us with a very one-dimensional Avery Johnson.

Your exactly right. Plus with everything Parker's been saying in the media, seems like he's not to thrilled to be part of the team.
Great draft again. Sorry to see Hill go but worth it for a potential top 10 pick.

And glad we drafted quick PG.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Great draft again. Sorry to see Hill go but worth it for a potential top 10 pick.

And glad we drafted quick PG.

we need a big dude but I guess they're hard to find
In a couple years this team will be scarcely recognizable.

The Spurs managed to turn George Hill into three players, two of whom will be stashed overseas. Well, I suppose they might be able to buy out Lorbek and bring him over. They already have an intriguing young foreign prospect from last year's draft (Ryan Richards).

I don't really know anything about these players. But this feels like rebuilding. I don't think they're done trading yet.

Even Manu stayed overseas a few years after we drafted him. THe Spurs were the first great scouting team in Europe. I trust they know how to rebuild.
Once our defensive anchor Duncan is gone I'm going to flip the f**k out. We show no interest in any LEGIT big men

I trust them too, but they have made some significant mistakes the last few years. Jackie Butler's contract led to the loss of Scola. RJ has been a failure, and the Spurs doubled down on that failure last summer. Dumping his contract could mean the loss of Parker.

Getting rid of Hill might have been smart since he would have been hard to keep. The Spurs (again thanks to RJ) are going to need to make their roster cheaper for the foreseeable future, as the post-Duncan, post-Manu era will require financial flexibility to get a superstar or two. The Duncan era is limping to a close, there is no more contending.

Their saving grace is that they draft well. They have rights to several players who may end up being solid rotational players. But there is still no post-Duncan, post-Manu plan. They're not reloading, they're quietly blowing it up.

Unfortunately I agree
Originally posted by Ajanke:
I trust them too, but they have made some significant mistakes the last few years. Jackie Butler's contract led to the loss of Scola. RJ has been a failure, and the Spurs doubled down on that failure last summer. Dumping his contract could mean the loss of Parker.

Getting rid of Hill might have been smart since he would have been hard to keep. The Spurs (again thanks to RJ) are going to need to make their roster cheaper for the foreseeable future, as the post-Duncan, post-Manu era will require financial flexibility to get a superstar or two. The Duncan era is limping to a close, there is no more contending.

Their saving grace is that they draft well. They have rights to several players who may end up being solid rotational players. But there is still no post-Duncan, post-Manu plan. They're not reloading, they're quietly blowing it up.

Unfortunately I agree

What sucks is that it's difficult for teams like the Spurs to attract big names. After their 4th title, top FA's still weren't looking to come to a champion for an attempt at a ring. We've only been able to attract over-the-hill-players who are in their last years desperate for a ring.

In recent years, we have only been able to draft solid players who provide decent production from the bench.

I still think the only way we get top talent is if we trade Parker or sneak an unknown Euro in a future draft.

[ Edited by Joecool on Jun 24, 2011 at 13:47:47 ]
Teams interseted in Ray Allen if bought out: Miami Heat, Celtics, and his first choice will be the San Antonio Spurs..stay tuned
http://twitter.com/#!/NBASource1/status/84400766525259776
Would like to jump in here and say,

wooohooo!!!! lockout missing games. Spurs are getting ready for the prime picken's.

Championship!
Still wish the dubs drafted Kawhi
Share 49ersWebzone