LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Marquez vs Mayweather

i'm close to believing mayweather could travel in time and knockout ali in his prime and people would still say he ain't s**t.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
i'm close to believing mayweather could travel in time and knockout ali in his prime and people would still say he ain't s**t.

ya, but i do believe mayweather would fight ali right now and call himself the GOAT.

Mayweather's good no doubt..but don't get it twisted...He's not on Ali's level.
Originally posted by phiLthyphiL:

obviously i agree. but after he just soundly beat the number 2 ranked p4p fighter, people still can't give him credit? that's ridiculous

obviously i agree. but after he just soundly beat the number 2 ranked p4p fighter, people still can't give him credit? that's ridiculous

Second ranked pound for pound fighter who did move up 1.5 divisions and said it himself...he just didn't have enough speed at that weight. I'd really love for Mayweather to fight a Mosley, a Cotto, a Paul Williams. Then he can shut all the critics up, myself included.

He had good fights against Castillo and Corrales on his resume, I'm just not high on any of his other wins. The win against Marquez was impressive...but let's see him take on someone in his division.
Juan Manuel just got paid

Not bad for a 37 year old, hangin in there with Mayweather, going the distance.

Second ranked pound for pound fighter who did move up 1.5 divisions and said it himself...he just didn't have enough speed at that weight. I'd really love for Mayweather to fight a Mosley, a Cotto, a Paul Williams. Then he can shut all the critics up, myself included.

He had good fights against Castillo and Corrales on his resume, I'm just not high on any of his other wins. The win against Marquez was impressive...but let's see him take on someone in his division.

I agree.

why doesn't he try to prove himself by beating the champion in his own weight class?
Why do people keep saying Mayweather dominated Marquez and Pac-Man didnt?

Do you guys even watch boxing, Pac-Man fought Marquez in his natural weight class twice, Mayweather could have fought Cotto, Mosley, Magarito or Paul Williams true welterweights but he fought a lightweight champ at welterweight size. and he came in overweight.

Like I said PBF is extremely over-rated it is easy to look good vs inferior opponents.
Its like shaq playing me 1-on-1 and then calling himself the greatest center ever.

Grow some ball PBF fake ass champ. Your legacy and I use that term loosely will forever be questioned.

He will wait until pac-man fights all the top guys and then fight him, like the b***h he is.
  • eddie23
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Hollywood49er:
Why do people keep saying Mayweather dominated Marquez and Pac-Man didnt?

Umm...

Because Mayweather dominated Marquez and Pac-Man didn't.

But anyway, I agree, he will never be an ATG (in my eyes at least) if he doesn't clean up his own division(WELTERWEIGHT)!!!

Ricky and Marquez have no business fighting at welterweight. Plus Ricky is OVERRATED, his best win was a washed up Kosta Tzsyui, which also catapulted him to fame (The English tend to OVERRATE their fighters, like seriously). ODLH hadn't fought a meaningful fight since '04. Sure he fought Ricardo Mayorga in '06 but they were both on their way out when they faced each other, both at age 33. OLDH being the better boxer overall, is no surprise he won. Floyd vs a Prime Oscar would have been a different story IMO.

Sure a victory vs. the Pac-Man will look nice on his resume, and Pac-Man may turn out to be a legit welter, we'll see. BUT Floyd needs to take on fighters his own size, go fight Mosley, Cotto, maybe Paul Williams.

I like Floyd as much as anyone else but I will always be critical of where he ranks, and will debate it to no end, until he stops running and beats a couple of those guys (REAL WELTERS) and clears all doubts out of my mind.

I'm ready to put him up there with the ATG's but he's hasn't done enough to convince me.
that was way too predictable.. it was over from the getgo

most exciting part of the night was the post fight interview

mosley is a punk

mayweather is great.. can't deny that.. and if pacman beats cotto.. pacman/mayweather would be the fight of the decade

Originally posted by bayarealuv:

mosley is a punk

mayweather is great.. can't deny that.. and if pacman beats cotto.. pacman/mayweather would be the fight of the decade

yea, then we'll be sitting here the monday after mayweather beats pacman hearing all the same excuses.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

mosley is a punk

yea, then we'll be sitting here the monday after mayweather beats pacman hearing all the same excuses.

what excuses?
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

mosley is a punk

what excuses?

oh, IDK, i figured this thread would be bombarded with excuses as to why mayweather beat marquez. Didn't even bother to read. muh bad.
Diego Corrales
José Luis Castillo (twice)
Phillip Ndou
Arturo Gatti
Zab Judah
Carlos Baldomir
Oscar De la Hoya
Ricky Hatton

Floyd has beat all of them, and quite a few he had to move up to fight because he was the smaller fighter. He's won world championships in 5 weight classes, yet people are already talking about Pacman being smaller when they started in the same weight class. The only person he ever refused to fight when the fight was actually on the table, and that was when he Mayweather had just split from Arum. Any other fight or fighter that he supposedly ducked was never actually a fight actually presented to his handlers, just media gossip, and fans blind hopes.

Fact is when he is presented with a fight he has fought and he has won. Boxing politics stand in the way of a lot of potential fights, Bob Arum and Mayweather's beef that keeps them from doing business, and thus keeps Mayweather from fighting Arum-backed fighters, is just par for the course unfortunately. To make more of it than that is just blind hatred for Floyd. All of boxing is ruled by money first and entertaining fights second, and if anything Mayweather has done a good job of trying to marry the two by taking on big name fighters in big money bouts. Its not his fault he outclasses those big names on fight night, if people really wanted to see him fight Williams and Cotto and guys of that elk they would start buying their fights and raising their status, instead of ordering DLH's latest comeback fight.

Floyd and (everyone else in boxing for that matter) is chasing the money and that comes from buyrates whoever brings the buys gets the prize, that's how its been and how it will be.
Diego Corrales
José Luis Castillo (twice)
Phillip Ndou
Arturo Gatti
Zab Judah
Carlos Baldomir
Oscar De la Hoya
Ricky Hatton

Floyd has beat all of them, and quite a few he had to move up to fight because he was the smaller fighter. He's won world championships in 5 weight classes, yet people are already talking about Pacman being smaller when they started in the same weight class. The only person he ever refused to fight when the fight was actually on the table, and that was when he Mayweather had just split from Arum. Any other fight or fighter that he supposedly ducked was never actually a fight actually presented to his handlers, just media gossip, and fans blind hopes.

Fact is when he is presented with a fight he has fought and he has won. Boxing politics stand in the way of a lot of potential fights, Bob Arum and Mayweather's beef that keeps them from doing business, and thus keeps Mayweather from fighting Arum-backed fighters, is just par for the course unfortunately. To make more of it than that is just blind hatred for Floyd. All of boxing is ruled by money first and entertaining fights second, and if anything Mayweather has done a good job of trying to marry the two by taking on big name fighters in big money bouts. Its not his fault he outclasses those big names on fight night, if people really wanted to see him fight Williams and Cotto and guys of that elk they would start buying their fights and raising their status, instead of ordering DLH's latest comeback fight.

Floyd and (everyone else in boxing for that matter) is chasing the money and that comes from buyrates whoever brings the buys gets the prize, that's how its been and how it will be.

Yeah, Mayweather and Pac have actually had very similiar careers in that they have been moving up weight classes at pretty much the same rate and during the same years. Does Floyd have a natural half a dozen pounds on Manny? Sure probably but not more than that.
Share 49ersWebzone