There are 211 users in the forums

2009 SF Giants thread

Originally posted by WestCoast:
Why are the Giants so high on Kevin Frandsen?

I just don't see it

GAMER
John Bowker went yard today with a 3 run shot. I have such high hopes for that kid.
Originally posted by 49ersAREMYLIFE:
John Bowker went yard today with a 3 run shot. I have such high hopes for that kid.

if he can adjust to pitching and lay off that damn pitch at eye level we may have something. damn i wanted to see posey's at bat in which he hit a sacrifice fly

For some reason, people don't want to give this kid a chance, but anyone with that kind of power and quick/compact stroke should be given a chance to develop. It may take him another year or two to really figure things out, but once he does, he's going to consistently put up 25-35 HRs per year.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean:

For some reason, people don't want to give this kid a chance, but anyone with that kind of power and quick/compact stroke should be given a chance to develop. It may take him another year or two to really figure things out, but once he does, he's going to consistently put up 25-35 HRs per year.

Where? In AAA? Haha...jk.

I like this guy too. I think he should get a bigger shot at 1b.

THATS WHAT IM SAYIN! Thank you Ghost.

Bowker is just BURSTING with potential as a power hitter and we need to give him every possible chance we can, which is why im glad hes playin RF because Villalona has got 1B on reserve practically.
Originally posted by ritchie:

Depending on when Villalona comes up, I hope he doesnt win at 1B. If Villalona is up in the next two years I hope Bowker stays in the OF, he actually has got decent range out there too.

Depending on when Villalona comes up, I hope he doesnt win at 1B. If Villalona is up in the next two years I hope Bowker stays in the OF, he actually has got decent range out there too.

I like Bowker, but if he becomes really good, then what that does is give the Giants options.

I know Angel is immensely gifted, but I'm not putting all my 1b baskets into 1 person just yet. Theres too many factors involved to have him penciled in as the guy who starts in 2011.

I like Bowker, but if he becomes really good, then what that does is give the Giants options.

I know Angel is immensely gifted, but I'm not putting all my 1b baskets into 1 person just yet. Theres too many factors involved to have him penciled in as the guy who starts in 2011.

for reals, i can dig that.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Why are the Giants so high on Kevin Frandsen?

I just don't see it

I watched him play most of my high school career. He was 1st team, all-league, all-section, all-state. He set most of Bellarmine's records also. He's a player to say the least.

I attribute him to a Robby Thompson-type. He doesn't have all the power in the world, but can spray it all over the field and can come through in the clutch when needed. He'll be the starter if he can stay healthy.

[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Mar 2, 2009 at 00:19:13 ]

I think people have an issue with his plate discipline. He can't seem to put together enough solid AB's without swinging for the fence most of the time. He has an impatience about him when he's up to bat, which I think he'll grow out of.

With that said, I agree that consistency comes with more AB's and I think he deserves a chance to develop. He could turn into something special if he can string a few good games together.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

I think people have an issue with his plate discipline. He can't seem to put together enough solid AB's without swinging for the fence most of the time. He has an impatience about him when he's up to bat, which I think he'll grow out of.

With that said, I agree that consistency comes with more AB's and I think he deserves a chance to develop. He could turn into something special if he can string a few good games together.

Totally agree, but we just have to keep in mind that last year was his rookie season...that's a tough adjustment for most hitters, but particularly young power hitters who aren't used to major league stuff. He just needs time to make his adjustments and learn some plate discipline and he'll be fine.
Bowker should be able to contribute but it doesn't look like he will be a starter. Ishy seems to have the edge at 1b and Bowker would probably be the 5th OF. The Giants do need power so lets hope he does get better plate discipline and cut his strikeouts down this year.
Originally posted by ninerfaninLA:
Bowker should be able to contribute but it doesn't look like he will be a starter. Ishy seems to have the edge at 1b and Bowker would probably be the 5th OF. The Giants do need power so lets hope he does get better plate discipline and cut his strikeouts down this year.

Hopefully he can jump up to 4th and backup at 1st base so he can get as many at bats as possible.
Originally posted by ninerfaninLA:

Hopefully he can jump up to 4th and backup at 1st base so he can get as many at bats as possible.

He would have to pass Schierholtz for that to happen and I know the Giants have high hopes for him this year. If the Giants fall out of the race by the all star break look for them to move Randy Winn which will clear a spot.
Share 49ersWebzone