LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 290 users in the forums

2009 Oakland A's thread

Speaking of Anderson, here's what Law from ESPN said about him on his twitter page last week...
Quote:

might prefer Brett Anderson to Dan Haren by the end of this year.
7:09 PM Mar 8th from txt
  • JR80
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerpride:
Speaking of Anderson, here's what Law from ESPN said about him on his twitter page last week...
Quote:

might prefer Brett Anderson to Dan Haren by the end of this year.
7:09 PM Mar 8th from txt

exciting! But a little early in my book....
  • JR80
  • Veteran
Tejada's willing to play 3rd now.....please come back to Oakland?
Eric Chavez is such a piece of s**t. I can't believe I bought into his lie.

He'll never be good again.
If Chavez can't play, Nomar will be given a shot to play 3B, as would Crosby before the A's even think about bringing back Tejada.
If Chavez's $$$$$$$$ wasn't on the books after this season, we could (at least) look into the option of re-signing Holliday. I don't think that Wolff is interested in paying both salaries at once.
Holliday is gonna want a 5/100+ deal next offseason especially if the economy shows any life of a rebound.

Chavez only makes in the low teens so I doubt the A's would sign Holliday long term even if Chavez's deal was off the book.

You know a big market team like one of the NY, BOS, LA or CHI teams will make it duty to go after him.

I think it's one and done regardless of what situation the A's are in.
I agree. It is what it is.

I just feel that, from a financial perspective, the situation would be a lot more conceivable if Chavez wasn't a $11M a year liability. Catch my drift?

If Chavez = $11M, then Holliday is easily IMO worth $18M+.
Even a new stadium probably won't solve the A's long term issues with keeping their young talent.

They're always gonna be at best a mid market team ala CLE and look how many of their young studs have left over the years. Even if the A's get a new park, they're not gonna be able to keep all their young home grown players they develop.

Maybe instead of one like they did with Chavez during this era, they'd be allowed to keep 2 or 3 at the most "core players" around for a decade like they have with Chavez whos been in the bigs full time since 98 I believe.
Speaking of a new park for the A's potentially, news today that Selig hasn't "wavered" on his territorial rights regarding the south bay although I doubt it's what he truly believes will continue to take place heading into the next decade.

From ML's blog...
Quote:

Going back to T-rights, the Chronicle's Giants beat writer Henry Schulman asked Larry Baer, who said "From what we could tell, there is no change in (Selig's) position." That's exactly how I expect it to be for some time to come. That's why Wolff asked San Jose pols to tone down their enthusiasm. If he had not intervened, at some point someone was going to ask MLB directly about T-rights, and whether they asked nicely or aggressively, it wasn't going to curry favor with the Lodge. T-rights, whether stadium or broadcast, is MLB's leverage over any city or market. There's no point in asking unless you come to them unless you're ready to talk turkey. San Jose is in no position to do that yet.

Threats from legislators about removing the antitrust exemption would be misplaced. The exemption, which allows MLB to wield its iron fist over franchise movement, has kept the team in Oakland. If it didn't exist, the A's might already be somewhere else. If it were removed, San Jose would have no restrictions against teams moving there, and that would make Wolff's job easier. I'd love to see the exemption killed, but only because of the right motivations and principles, not something as misguided as what Dellums is considering.

It's going to be a long slog for any ballpark effort for the next 1-2 years. Let's not get distracted by the small stuff.

Cahill struggled today.

Looked good in the 1st when he K'ed Kemp and Ethier but had a rough 2nd.

Believed this was his first really awful outing this spring, albeit he had only 3 outings this entire ST.
Originally posted by ninerpride:
Speaking of a new park for the A's potentially, news today that Selig hasn't "wavered" on his territorial rights regarding the south bay although I doubt it's what he truly believes will continue to take place heading into the next decade.

From ML's blog...
Quote:

Going back to T-rights, the Chronicle's Giants beat writer Henry Schulman asked Larry Baer, who said "From what we could tell, there is no change in (Selig's) position." That's exactly how I expect it to be for some time to come. That's why Wolff asked San Jose pols to tone down their enthusiasm. If he had not intervened, at some point someone was going to ask MLB directly about T-rights, and whether they asked nicely or aggressively, it wasn't going to curry favor with the Lodge. T-rights, whether stadium or broadcast, is MLB's leverage over any city or market. There's no point in asking unless you come to them unless you're ready to talk turkey. San Jose is in no position to do that yet.

Threats from legislators about removing the antitrust exemption would be misplaced. The exemption, which allows MLB to wield its iron fist over franchise movement, has kept the team in Oakland. If it didn't exist, the A's might already be somewhere else. If it were removed, San Jose would have no restrictions against teams moving there, and that would make Wolff's job easier. I'd love to see the exemption killed, but only because of the right motivations and principles, not something as misguided as what Dellums is considering.

It's going to be a long slog for any ballpark effort for the next 1-2 years. Let's not get distracted by the small stuff.

Bud Selig is a f*cking joke. I don't know why he has it out for the A's but it's always been that way. From the time he wanted to contract the A's even though they were one of the most successful franchises around at that time, till now. it's apparent that eh woudl love tos ee the A's fail. None of the other teams have territorial rights set up so unfairly.

He says that we can't compete in our current situation but refuses to waive the T rights and let us find a stadium that we can "compete" in. It reeks of a double standard. He wont even do justice for his so called fraternity brother that's how much he hates the A's.

Throw in the fact that the steroid epidemic happened under his watch and he just turned a blind eye, while allowing the sport to be forever tainted and then denyin any wrong doing (aww shucks don't look at me. I don't knmow nothing) and then calling Arod an embarrasement when all the other steroid users were doing the same sh*t yet he's going to call one person out to save his face. No Bud Selig YOU'RE the disgrace. Either you should be tried in front of the federal government for allowng an illegal substance to run rampant or you're naive and shouldn't be the commissioner of MLB necause you're in over your head.

What a f*cking toolbag. I'm too p*ssed of right now, I need to go smoke a bowl and chill out.
I agree about the territorial rights.

A's have 2 counties as "their" counties while SF has the other 5 or so counties in the bay area.

And the south bay wasn't even their's until Haas just for a good will gesture, bad business mistake on his part, but he cared about the bay area that he didn't want to see the SFG leave the area so he gave their rights to the south bay so they could build a park there.

Now what two decades later the A's are trying to build in what was once "open territory" and SF won't have any of it and IMO could care less if the A's move out of the area, in fact I think that's what they really want.

f**k that org no matter what happens and with the way the pro SF media treats the A's...those are just a couple of the handful of reasons why I'll always root for the SFG to stink as an A's fan and Oaklander.
Heads up, MLBN tomorrow at 2:30 PM PST, A's hour long 30/30 show.
Buck has been having a solid spring so far with about a .320 BA and 3 HR's. I'm not one to put much wait into Spring stats but he seems to be carrying over the power stroke he showed off at the end of last year into this year. Just hope he can stay healthy. How many times do I have to say this about an A's player?

Who do you think gets the closer job this year? If you put me up against a wall and shoved a gun in my face I would say Ziggy but I think they could both end up getting 20 saves this year. Devine is filthy, but just can't stay healthy (gah hear I go again).
Share 49ersWebzone