There are 269 users in the forums

2008-09 San Antonio Spurs Thread

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DynastyChile:
Im surprised you guys let go BB, but i think its a good trade. I think RJ is overrated,but i guess the spurs didnt give up that much.

As the 4th best player on your team I would say he's excellent, maybe the best 4th option in the league now, if SA is healthy that is.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Im surprised you guys let go BB, but i think its a good trade. I think RJ is overrated,but i guess the spurs didnt give up that much.

As the 4th best player on your team I would say he's excellent, maybe the best 4th option in the league now, if SA is healthy that is.

Yup. They have a top-level post threat, a top-level PG, and two excellent players on the wing that can either shoot or go to the hoop. (Jefferson & Manu....assuming Manu's healthy)

That being said, the Spurs still need to address their PF/C situation. They were last in the league in offensive rebounding by a HUGE margin. The difference between them and the next to last team (29th) was wider than the difference between the 20th & 29th teams. That's something that they absolutely have to address, because they will not win a title with offensive rebounding that even remotely resembles that.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jun 23, 2009 at 11:44:46 ]
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Yup. They have a top-level post threat, a top-level PG, and two excellent players on the wing that can either shoot or go to the hoop. (Jefferson & Manu....assuming Manu's healthy)

That being said, the Spurs still need to address their PF/C situation. They were last in the league in offensive rebounding by a HUGE margin. The difference between them and the next to last team (29th) was wider than the difference between the 20th & 29th teams. That's something that they absolutely have to address, because they will not win a title with offensive rebounding that even remotely resembles that.

Yeah they seem to have little depth too. But if they keep Gooden like you said that could help. They might get Oberto back. Do they have any more Euro big men stashed overseas they can bring over? When your depth chart lists Bonner as starting that is a little scary.
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Yeah they seem to have little depth too. But if they keep Gooden like you said that could help. They might get Oberto back. Do they have any more Euro big men stashed overseas they can bring over? When your depth chart lists Bonner as starting that is a little scary.

Oberto's practically useless at this point, even if he comes back. Very little impact. They have Tiago Splitter overseas, who's a high energy PF type that they could use right now, but he's signed through next season and it would be very difficult to get him to come to the states as a result.
Originally posted by dobophile:
The Spurs need to get rid of Bonner, JV, and Finley (assuming Finley doesn't retire). They might need to part with Mason. The Spurs will try to trade for a decent, defensively-minded center. A big guy who can rebound and block.

Camby?

Camby can be had right now, but I don't think you can get him for a variety of reasons. However, I think that going the Free Agent route would be a better option anyway. The guy that keeps popping up in my mind is Antonio McDyess. He's one of the better offensive rebounders in the league (14th, in only 30MPG), a very good man defender, and can knock down those Kurt Thomas-y jump shots that keep people honest on Duncan. He would be a good use of the MLE (or at least a large chunk of it), and a better option than Gooden. I wouldn't be surprised for the Spurs to pursue him.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Jun 23, 2009 at 12:26:10 ]
The Spurs need to get rid of Bonner, JV, and Finley (assuming Finley doesn't retire). They might need to part with Mason. The Spurs will try to trade for a decent, defensively-minded center. A big guy who can rebound and block.

Camby?

Camby can be had right now, but I don't think you can get him for a variety of reasons. However, I think that going the Free Agent route would be a better option anyway. The guy that keeps popping up in my mind is Antonio McDyess. He's one of the better offensive rebounders in the league (14th, in only 30MPG), a very good man defender, and can knock down those Kurt Thomas-y jump shots that keep people honest on Duncan. He would be a good use of the MLE (or at least a large chunk of it), and a better option than Gooden. I wouldn't be surprised for the Spurs to pursue him.

Yeah, McDyess would be interesting.

The Spurs need to get rid of Bonner, JV, and Finley. Udoka should not be re-signed. Mason might be a good tradable asset, but he's also a good 5th scoring option. The Spurs can give their young guys---Hill, Gist, Mahinmi, Hairston, Williams---a chance next season.

The next couple weeks will be really interesting.

I like Mason and think you guys should keep him. I think that Spurs fans would have a higher opinion of him if Manu stayed healthy. He was asked to be something he isn't, and didn't thrive in that environment. Having Manu back puts him back into a position to succeed. But yeah, will be a very interesting offseason.
Never really been a fan of Jefferson's game he just isn't as consistent as he should be. But the Spurs basically got him for a gallon of gas so good move for them.

[ Edited by lamontb on Jun 23, 2009 at 13:15:13 ]

Camby?

Yeah, McDyess would be interesting.

The Spurs need to get rid of Bonner, JV, and Finley. Udoka should not be re-signed. Mason might be a good tradable asset, but he's also a good 5th scoring option. The Spurs can give their young guys---Hill, Gist, Mahinmi, Hairston, Williams---a chance next season.

The next couple weeks will be really interesting.

I like Mason and think you guys should keep him. I think that Spurs fans would have a higher opinion of him if Manu stayed healthy. He was asked to be something he isn't, and didn't thrive in that environment. Having Manu back puts him back into a position to succeed. But yeah, will be a very interesting offseason.

Yeah, I don't want to give up Mason. He struggled in the playoffs, but he was solid during the season. I'm interested to see what they do about the lack of centers. Maybe they're confident in Mahinmi, or maybe they have a free agent lined up. I'd love to see us get McDyess; I've always thought that guy would make a great Spur.

Oh, and I love the Jefferson trade.

[ Edited by pantstickle on Jun 23, 2009 at 14:10:51 ]
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Good trade for both teams.
Bill Simmons has no idea what he's talking about.

He said you should've made a move and sold Parker high for Foye and 6 and hope Hill becomes serviceable and a rookie at 6 and still contend.

Share 49ersWebzone