There are 179 users in the forums

2008-09 San Antonio Spurs Thread

Originally posted by dobophile:
The Spurs have reportedly offered Yiannis Bourousis a 3 year contract worth between 10.5 and 12 million.

PF/C, 7'1'', 280 lbs.

From DraftExpress:

Quote:
Bouroussis remains one of the most productive big men in European basketball on a per-minute basis, he’s averaging 23 points and 13 rebounds per-40 pace adjusted on 59% shooting from the field. He’s not particularly athletic, but has a massive frame which he uses to draw fouls at a terrific rate, and is a threat to score with his back to the basket, shooting jumpers from outside, or finishing pick and roll plays in the lane thanks to his excellent hands. He’s also an excellent rebounder, particularly on the offensive end. Talk out of Greece is that he’s interested in exploring his NBA options this summer, and as we’ve written on a few occasions in the past, he could be a very interesting free agent target for certain teams. We’ll be taking an in-depth look at him this weekend, and may try to pick his brain as well.

I don't know anything about the guy, but he's also a former swimmer. I hope he doesn't suck.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
The Spurs have reportedly offered Yiannis Bourousis a 3 year contract worth between 10.5 and 12 million.

PF/C, 7'1'', 280 lbs.

From DraftExpress:

Quote:
Bouroussis remains one of the most productive big men in European basketball on a per-minute basis, he’s averaging 23 points and 13 rebounds per-40 pace adjusted on 59% shooting from the field. He’s not particularly athletic, but has a massive frame which he uses to draw fouls at a terrific rate, and is a threat to score with his back to the basket, shooting jumpers from outside, or finishing pick and roll plays in the lane thanks to his excellent hands. He’s also an excellent rebounder, particularly on the offensive end. Talk out of Greece is that he’s interested in exploring his NBA options this summer, and as we’ve written on a few occasions in the past, he could be a very interesting free agent target for certain teams. We’ll be taking an in-depth look at him this weekend, and may try to pick his brain as well.

I don't know anything about the guy, but he's also a former swimmer. I hope he doesn't suck.

You know who else is a former swimmer, don't you?

Yep, you guessed it. Duncan.

Yep.

Good ol' Duncan Goodhew
Most recent Ginobili trade rumor.

From http://www.truthaboutit.net/tag/gerald-wallace

Three team deal: San Antonio, Charlotte, Washington

Bobcats Get: Nick Young, Antawn Jamison, Etan Thomas
Bobcats Give: Gerald Wallace, Raja Bell, Nazr Mohammed

Spurs Get: Gerald Wallace, Andray Blatche, Mike James, the 5th Pick
Spurs Give: Manu Ginobili, Fabricio Oberto, Bruce Bowen

Wizards Get: Manu Ginobili, Fabricio Oberto, Bruce Bowen, Raja Bell, Nazr Mohammed
Wizards Give: Nick Young, Antawn Jamison, Etan Thomas, Andray Blatche, Mike James, the 5th Pick

Wizards Get: Manu Ginobili, Fabricio Oberto, Bruce Bowen, Raja Bell, Nazr Mohammed
Wizards Give: Nick Young, Antawn Jamison, Etan Thomas, Andray Blatche, Mike James, the 5th Pick

Dude...That is a terrible trade if your a Spurs fan...Bowen and Ginobili? For Wallace?
Originally posted by 49ermark:

Dude...That is a terrible trade if your a Spurs fan...Bowen and Ginobili? For Wallace?

I'm okay with giving up Bowen, he's just not as useful as he used to be. I like Gerald Wallace though, but I loves me some Ginobili.

I'm okay with giving up Bowen, he's just not as useful as he used to be. I like Gerald Wallace though, but I loves me some Ginobili.

Bowen: The Kobe stopper that never stopped Kobe.

Plus, it's Wallace AND Andray Blatche (very talented) AND the #5 pick. That's a helluva lot for Manu.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Why would the wiz give up all that young talent for guys clearly on the downside of their careers? Money? I love Ginobli but SA would be the only ones getting a good deal here, at least for the future. Ginobli's style of play at his age is a recipe for more injuries.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Why would the wiz give up all that young talent for guys clearly on the downside of their careers? Money? I love Ginobli but SA would be the only ones getting a good deal here, at least for the future. Ginobli's style of play at his age is a recipe for more injuries.

He sells tickets like a mofo though.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

Bowen: The Kobe stopper that never stopped Kobe.

He started for us in 2003. How did that season work out?

• TX9R
  • Veteran

Spurs are like the Packers, only game in town in a relatively small market. They won't have problems with tickets. Personally I think moving Ginobli now is a smart move for the future, whilel his value is still high. Duncan has some good years left, Parker is who they'll build around. Most dynasties crumble pretty quick, but they have an opporunity to have a down year or two and add youth and set up to be a contender again for another decade if they play their cards right.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

Spurs are like the Packers, only game in town in a relatively small market. They won't have problems with tickets. Personally I think moving Ginobli now is a smart move for the future, whilel his value is still high. Duncan has some good years left, Parker is who they'll build around. Most dynasties crumble pretty quick, but they have an opporunity to have a down year or two and add youth and set up to be a contender again for another decade if they play their cards right.

If they're trading any of the big 3, they should trade Tony Parker.

1. His value is sky-high right now. He appeared to be the best player on the Spurs during the playoffs, perhaps an emerging superstar. (In actuality, he's the third best player on the Spurs, and the most easily replaceable of the big 3.) He's just entering his prime, so a lot of teams will be curious about him. But no great team will ever be built around Tony Parker as its superstar.

2. Manu is in a contract year, and healthy. The Spurs have to see what he's worth before trading him. Plus, he's a unique talent . . . Mr. Intangible.

3. Duncan simply cannot be traded, except in the most unusual circumstances.

If you're talking about gearing up for one last run I could see that. If you're talking about building for the future without having to rebuild and still be competitive, Parker is the only one young enough to accomplish that.
Richard Jefferson to the Spurs for Bowen, KT, and Oberto.

Rumor or fact?
Originally posted by LA9erFan:

Rumor or fact?

per Chad Ford

A rumor or fact per Chad Ford? (it's a deal that makes sense for both teams)

Rumor or fact?

per Chad Ford

A rumor or fact per Chad Ford? (it's a deal that makes sense for both teams)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4281291
Share 49ersWebzone