There are 175 users in the forums

2008-09 San Antonio Spurs Thread

So you guys intentionally laid down in this game in hopes of the Cavs getting HCA so that if they eventually meet the Lakers in the Finals they would have the advantage??

I guess that's your best chance at stopping the Lakers this year.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
So you guys intentionally laid down in this game in hopes of the Cavs getting HCA so that if they eventually meet the Lakers in the Finals they would have the advantage??

I guess that's your best chance at stopping the Lakers this year.

I will be happy if the Cavs get home court for the Finals.

Anyways, well, it looks like the Spurs are not a good enough team to go all the way. Last year and this year, during regular season, they have had issues against the top teams in the league and I was hoping it would change for the better in the second half of the season, but it hasn't.

If you think Pop has a master plan...well...he doesn't and he never does. The only thing I could see is that he's resting Parker to get ready for the playoffs and he's getting Finley ready for the type of minutes he will be playing in the playoffs. Aside from that, Pop is going to do what he does and if you beat his plan, then you have him beat. He's not very good at major adjustments.

The reason the Spurs are one of the top teams is that they have top level talent along with consistent play. That alone will get you enough games above .500 to look like you are at the top.

Unless Tim Duncan comes out blazing in these playoffs, Spurs won't make it to the Semis.

However, I will still believe they will win every playoff game until they actually lose it, so don't think the smack talking has stopped.

Originally posted by LA9erFan:
You could make a case for Robinson's 1991-92 season as being the sickest statistical season in the modern era.

PPG: 23.2
RPG: 12.2
APG: 2.7
SPG: 2.3
BPG: 4.5
FG%: 55.1%

Nobody ever mentions David Robinson's 71 point 14 rebound 5 assist performance from 1994, but you hear about Kobe's 81 point game all the time......Which was the better performance?

DAVID ROBINSON V.S Clippers (Dominique Wilkins,Mark Jackson,Ron Harper)

-44 min.
-71 points (26 for 41)
-14 Rebounds
-5 Assist
-2 Blocks

KOBE BRYANT V.S. Raptors (Chris Bosh, Jalen Rose, Mike James)

-42 min.
-81 points (28-46)
-6 Rebounds
-3 Steals
-2 Assist
-1 Block
Robinson's 71 point game was the last game of the year in a game that meant nothing to either team. Robinson & Shaq were neck and neck going into the last game for the scoring title, and the Spurs went out of their way to make sure that Robinson won it. The Clippers were already in vacation mode. Wilkins (who was OLD by then) played 21 minutes, Jackson played 16, and Harper played 20. The guys that got the most minutes were Terry Dehere, Bo Outlaw, and Harold Ellis. While it's an amazing accomplishment, Robinson scored his 71 points in garbage time, and the agenda of the Spurs coming into that game was specifically to get him the scoring title.
Robinson's 71 point game was the last game of the year in a game that meant nothing to either team. Robinson & Shaq were neck and neck going into the last game for the scoring title, and the Spurs went out of their way to make sure that Robinson won it. The Clippers were already in vacation mode. Wilkins (who was OLD by then) played 21 minutes, Jackson played 16, and Harper played 20. The guys that got the most minutes were Terry Dehere, Bo Outlaw, and Harold Ellis. While it's an amazing accomplishment, Robinson scored his 71 points in garbage time, and the agenda of the Spurs coming into that game was specifically to get him the scoring title.

Goes to show how much the Lakers had Shaq's back.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Probably because he was playing in Orlando at the time.

Interesting story LA, I heard Robinson scored 71 because his normal soft persona was replaced by pure rage when someone handed him a can of this to shave with that morning:

Originally posted by TheSixthRing:

Interesting story LA, I heard Robinson scored 71 because his normal soft persona was replaced by pure rage when someone handed him a can of this to shave with that morning:

Haha, you have an insanely good memory.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

I guess that would explain what happened in the playoffs when he was thouroughly dominated by Dream, he was tired from that 71 points. I'll never get tired of that one play where Dream gave him about 5 moves then scored, Robinson was already beaten after the 1st 2, flat footed.
Originally posted by TX9R:

I guess that would explain what happened in the playoffs when he was thouroughly dominated by Dream, he was tired from that 71 points. I'll never get tired of that one play where Dream gave him about 5 moves then scored, Robinson was already beaten after the 1st 2, flat footed.

Travelling, I tell ya!!

The dream would be called for traveling today. They actually enforce that rule on the post now.

Travelling, I tell ya!!

The dream would be called for traveling today. They actually enforce that rule on the post now.

LMAO. That wasn't traveling, that was complete pwnage. Olajuwon had the best big man footwork in the history of the game.

That was the next year, though. (94-95 season...Robinson scored 71 in 93-94)
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

Travelling, I tell ya!!

LMAO. That wasn't traveling, that was complete pwnage. Olajuwon had the best big man footwork in the history of the game.

Are you sure? I was almost positive he got the 71 in his MVP year, and that was the year it was Houston vs SA in the conf finals when that array of moves was unleashed. That was when Dream did the "destroy all the best centers in the NBA" tour on route to repeating as champs as the underdog in every series. I could be wrong.

Travelling, I tell ya!!

Are you sure? I was almost positive he got the 71 in his MVP year, and that was the year it was Houston vs SA in the conf finals when that array of moves was unleashed. That was when Dream did the "destroy all the best centers in the NBA" tour on route to repeating as champs as the underdog in every series. I could be wrong.

That was the year. Shaq got owned in the Finals by the Dream. THAT was the one team I think the Jordan Bulls would not be able to handle.

They had the sickest and deadliest shooters to go along with Kareem. Just look at that amazing roster of shooters:

Sam Cassell
Robert Horry
Kenny Smith
Clyde Drexler

What the Jordan Bulls always had going for them was that they always played a Center who didn't post up well. They always had trouble with Ewing and Smitz but The Dream was as far above those to as Jordan was above any other Guard at the time. Now you include some sick shooters that could drop your team cold and I don't see the Bulls being able to win with Jordan.
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 6, 2009 at 10:55 AM ]

Travelling, I tell ya!!

That was the year. Shaq got owned in the Finals by the Dream. THAT was the one team I think the Jordan Bulls would not be able to handle.

They had the sickest and deadliest shooters to go along with Kareem. Just look at that amazing roster of shooters:

Sam Cassell
Robert Horry
Kenny Smith
Clyde Drexler

What the Jordan Bulls always had going for them was that they always played a Center who didn't post up well. They always had trouble with Ewing and Smitz but The Dream was as far above those to as Jordan was above any other Guard at the time. Now you include some sick shooters that could drop your team cold and I don't see the Bulls being able to win with Jordan.

• TX9R
  • Veteran

Travelling, I tell ya!!

Sam Cassell
Robert Horry
Kenny Smith
Clyde Drexler

A debate that will go on forever. The Rox acually matched up well against those Bulls teams, Mad Max played him as tough as anyone, I beleive we had a winning record against them in those years. When the 3s were falling Houston was unbeatable, period. If you doubled Dream, that was 3. Once they started falling you had to respect, then Dream ate you alive. Defensivley they were stifling. It was a thing of beauty. Plus Jordan was great, but does anyone think they really would have won 8 in a row? The 2 years off gave that team time to rebuild and get hungry again. Jordan or no Jordan, I don't think they would have beaten Houston both years, his supporting cast was pretty much gone at that point.
Share 49ersWebzone