There are 216 users in the forums

***Official Boxing Thread***

Originally posted by Niner_Demon:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I expected an adjustment at that point. Garcia should have been more specific about letting Rigo step in to something. Nonito had never seen someone that could match him in speed and reflexes. he was too mindful of that.

i was actually pretty shocked to see Rigo's speed

I was impressed how he was beating Donaire to the punch. He made him fight his fight the whole night. Nonito was afraid to commit to anything hard in fear of missing and getting caught with something hard. I expevted to see more straight punches from Donaire. In particular the straight right after a left hook lead.

Rigo responds well to getting hit. Every time he got caught, his straight left responded. What I couldn't understand was Donaire not being able to adjust to that. When he threw the left hook, Rigo responded with the straight. It wasn't until round 10 when he finally dodged the straight after throwing the left.
I expected an adjustment at that point. Garcia should have been more specific about letting Rigo step in to something. Nonito had never seen someone that could match him in speed and reflexes. he was too mindful of that.

I was impressed how he was beating Donaire to the punch. He made him fight his fight the whole night. Nonito was afraid to commit to anything hard in fear of missing and getting caught with something hard. I expevted to see more straight punches from Donaire. In particular the straight right after a left hook lead.

Rigo responds well to getting hit. Every time he got caught, his straight left responded. What I couldn't understand was Donaire not being able to adjust to that. When he threw the left hook, Rigo responded with the straight. It wasn't until round 10 when he finally dodged the straight after throwing the left.

You would think that his size and reach could have been better used. Rigo had the sharper straight punches that night.
looking ahead, I wouldn't mind Rigo vs Broner or Gary Russell Jr.

You would think that his size and reach could have been better used. Rigo had the sharper straight punches that night.

Rigo being smaller, faster, and a southpaw was a tough combo for Donaire to adjust to

Depends on how Broner adjusts to welterweight, not a big fan of a Gary Russell Jr. bout with Rigo. Wouldn't mind seeing Rigo vs Mares bout.

If Broner adjusts to welterweight, who wouldn't like a Broner vs Garcia bout?

You want Rigo to jump 25 lbs.
i still haven't watched the whole fight.. i caught the final 3-4 rounds

disappointing to say the least.. at least we know donaire has a chin.. he was getting caught

andre ward mentioned that rigo has over 400 amateur fights under his belt so he's built to cruise after the 4th round
canelo next tho! boxing is back
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

Depends on how Broner adjusts to welterweight, not a big fan of a Gary Russell Jr. bout with Rigo. Wouldn't mind seeing Rigo vs Mares bout.

Its a huge jump. Two fights ago Broner was at 130Lbs.

Oh I know, isn't he still scheduled to fight Paulie Mags @ welterweight? I'm really worried the gain in weight will slow him down and his power is great @ 130lbs, but how does it transition to 147lbs? Would've preferred he stay lower in weight before moving up to possibly junior welter in like a year or two, not straight up to welterweight.

I don't think Paulie's gonna test Broner that much, I mean the guy probably should have lost to Cano, who wound up getting stopped by a shot, bloated Erik Morales FFS

Oh I know, isn't he still scheduled to fight Paulie Mags @ welterweight? I'm really worried the gain in weight will slow him down and his power is great @ 130lbs, but how does it transition to 147lbs? Would've preferred he stay lower in weight before moving up to possibly junior welter in like a year or two, not straight up to welterweight.

Mosley did it from 135 to 17 to beat Oscar. But Mosley was a solid 135lbs. Broner might be trying to do too much.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Good technical fight, could've gone either way, congrats to Rigo...

That 115-113 score was bad enough, but Lederman's daughter scoring 116-112 set women back 30 years

Wait are you serious? That was the most legit score. Rigo put on a clinic.

Oops, my bad, I meant 115-113 was "Good enough" (I blame the cheap tequila shots), but that 116-112 by Ledermans daughter (which I found out was actually a 116-111 later via ESPN) was atrocious. When did Rigo pull out enough to get a 2-3 round victory w/a 10th round two point swing for Donaire?

I had it 114-113, Rigo with 7 rounds to Donaire's 5. Rigo lost a point from 10th round knockdown.

Round 1: Rigo (came out with that nasty left)

Round 2: Donaire (kept composure)

Round 3: Donaire

Round 4: Donaire

Round 5: Donaire

Round 6: Rigo (Turned into his style of fight, more technique than Donaire could muster)

Round 7: Rigo

Round 8: Rigo

Round 9: Rigo

Round 10: Donaire (knockdown makes it 10-8)

Round 11: Rigo (Donaire let up too much, needed to keep pressing, I believe his eye injury was caused by his lack of aggression this round)

Round 12: Rigo (was worried Donaire would get it stopped b/c his eye was shot)

Disagree. Donaire got maybe two of those first 5 rounds at best.

Was curious about everyone's disagreements, so I rewatched with sober eyes, and definitely see that I was using booze/Donaire fan eyes to watch the early rounds. Rigo got Donaire into his fight early and definitely won by more than two rounds. As much as I'd like to see a bout between Rigo and Mares, I think the best fight would be a rematch and see if Donaire can put his big boy pants on

Mosley did it from 135 to 17 to beat Oscar. But Mosley was a solid 135lbs. Broner might be trying to do too much.

I'm not saying he can't, but why would he risk such a high jump with so much competition closer to his weight class? I'd still give Broner the advantage just by talent and style alone, but just worried his speed might suffer and he drastically relies on it, unlike Mosely who I feel relied more on his power which did translate.
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
I don't think Paulie's gonna test Broner that much, I mean the guy probably should have lost to Cano, who wound up getting stopped by a shot, bloated Erik Morales FFS

True, Paulie isn't a power guy, he fights to get through 12 rounds and go to the cards. I'm just worried Broner jumping up so much weight that he will lose the speed he keys his style.
Share 49ersWebzone