There are 230 users in the forums

***Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread***

Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by Knowledge:
Ryan Howard ruptured achilles....smfh couldnt have ended any worse

while I am glad the phillies lost, this sucks. I never wish for that.

I agree. Howard seems like a nice guy and you never want anyone to have an injury that bad. I hope he comes back strong.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
this team needs to get younger good thing we got alot of money coming off the books this year

Rollins-8 mil
Ibanez-12 mil
Lidge- 12 mil
Oswalt- 14 mil
Madson- 5 mil

Madson is the only one that i really see coming back...Rollins wants his money and to many years so i think hes gone and the others are just done

Jose Reyes?

would be nice

where do you think Rollins will land?

hes a west coast guy so if i had to guess the A's or Giants

fine with me, we need a shortstop.

we need a SS, but not Jimmy Rollins. Hes going to be 33 in 2 months, and his production has dropped off. if hes fine making 2-3 mil a season for maybe 2 years thats fine, but not if hes expecting to continue making 8 mil a season. Hes really not very good anymore.

although that kind of signing is right down Sabean's alley. "hes old, check. hes used to be good, check. hes from the bay area, check....ok, Jimmy, how does 5 years/55 mil sound?"

sheeeeeeeeeeeet......Rollins is looking for about 12-15 mil a year

Sabean is the only GM dumb enough to give him that kind of money. I see 3/36 with a club option for Rollins and the Giants. I hope not but I would not be surprised at all. Just dont see him as elite any longer and certainly not worthy of that kind of contract.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I agree. Howard seems like a nice guy and you never want anyone to have an injury that bad. I hope he comes back strong.

Well the good news is he only has 5 years and $120 million left on his contract
this team needs to get younger good thing we got alot of money coming off the books this year

Rollins-8 mil
Ibanez-12 mil
Lidge- 12 mil
Oswalt- 14 mil
Madson- 5 mil

Madson is the only one that i really see coming back...Rollins wants his money and to many years so i think hes gone and the others are just done

Jose Reyes?

would be nice

we need a SS, but not Jimmy Rollins. Hes going to be 33 in 2 months, and his production has dropped off. if hes fine making 2-3 mil a season for maybe 2 years thats fine, but not if hes expecting to continue making 8 mil a season. Hes really not very good anymore.

although that kind of signing is right down Sabean's alley. "hes old, check. hes used to be good, check. hes from the bay area, check....ok, Jimmy, how does 5 years/55 mil sound?"

Sabean is the only GM dumb enough to give him that kind of money. I see 3/36 with a club option for Rollins and the Giants. I hope not but I would not be surprised at all. Just dont see him as elite any longer and certainly not worthy of that kind of contract.

I just dont see how he can come to the negotiating table with any basis for being paid that much. like i said, hes going to be a 33 year old SS whos basically got 30 steal speed and thats about it. how is his agent going to convince anyone that he should be getting paid MORE than his previous contract? his production keeps dropping steadily, and besides his steals, hes been crap. and when youre 33, a teams response to "30 steals in 2011" is going to be "we cant bank on a guy heading into his mid 30's to keep stealing 30 bags."

playing at AT&T, hes basically going to be a 10 HR, 50 RBI, .255 avg hitter with 25 steals? his defense isnt much of an asset either. those numbers look alot like the production wed get from Andres Torres.

I will be if we sign Rollins to a deal like that.

Rollins-8 mil
Ibanez-12 mil
Lidge- 12 mil
Oswalt- 14 mil
Madson- 5 mil

Jose Reyes?

would be nice

I just dont see how he can come to the negotiating table with any basis for being paid that much. like i said, hes going to be a 33 year old SS whos basically got 30 steal speed and thats about it. how is his agent going to convince anyone that he should be getting paid MORE than his previous contract? his production keeps dropping steadily, and besides his steals, hes been crap. and when youre 33, a teams response to "30 steals in 2011" is going to be "we cant bank on a guy heading into his mid 30's to keep stealing 30 bags."

playing at AT&T, hes basically going to be a 10 HR, 50 RBI, .255 avg hitter with 25 steals? his defense isnt much of an asset either. those numbers look alot like the production wed get from Andres Torres.

I agree with everything you just said. You do remember who are GM is right I would just avoid Rollins entirely
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

lol and tearing his Achilles is how he began that new contract. I must be awesome to be a baseball player. signing a contract is like signing a lottery check, and they put themselves through about 5% of the blood, sweat, and tears as NFL players do.

Rollins-8 mil
Ibanez-12 mil
Lidge- 12 mil
Oswalt- 14 mil
Madson- 5 mil

Jose Reyes?

would be nice

I agree with everything you just said. You do remember who are GM is right I would just avoid Rollins entirely

I can picture Sabean sweet talking to a framed picture of Rollins in his office right now. "dont worry Jimmy....someone as old and mediocre as you belongs in San Francisco. I just love staring at your 2007 production. and why shouldnt you get rewarded for that season? we have plenty of money to throw around."
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

lol and tearing his Achilles is how he began that new contract. I must be awesome to be a baseball player. signing a contract is like signing a lottery check, and they put themselves through about 5% of the blood, sweat, and tears as NFL players do.

I wish baseball did not have guaranteed contracts. Probably anyone other than the players, their families, and their agents feel the same way. I wish there was something in place where no contract could be guaranteed more than 3 years. Oh well... it isnt going to change.

Rollins-8 mil
Ibanez-12 mil
Lidge- 12 mil
Oswalt- 14 mil
Madson- 5 mil

Jose Reyes?

would be nice

i agree with everything you said except his defense isnt much of an asset.... absolutely great defensively...and the only way i can see him getting paid that much is because the SS position is very thin..Rollins is prolly still a top 5 SS

Rollins-8 mil
Ibanez-12 mil
Lidge- 12 mil
Oswalt- 14 mil
Madson- 5 mil

Jose Reyes?

would be nice

i agree with everything you said except his defense isnt much of an asset.... absolutely great defensively...and the only way i can see him getting paid that much is because the SS position is very thin..Rollins is prolly still a top 5 SS

I think top 5 is a stretch for sure:
1) Tulow
2) Reyes
3) Cabrera
4) Hanley
5) Castro
6) Andrus
7) Hardy
8) Ramirez
9) Jeter
10) Escobar

I might put Rollins around 10th but no higher than that.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Oct 8, 2011 at 7:46 PM ]

Rollins-8 mil
Ibanez-12 mil
Lidge- 12 mil
Oswalt- 14 mil
Madson- 5 mil

Jose Reyes?

would be nice

eh, cant agree with you there. Troy Tulowitzki, Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez, Asdrubal Cabrera, Starlin Casto, Elvis Andrus, J.J. Hardy, Jhonny Peralta even might have passed him with the season he put up. Rollins is now in the Derek Jeter, Erick Aybar, Alexei Ramirez range. hes on top of that group, but hes not top 5 anymore.
http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/team/transactions.jsp?c_id=phi#month=11&year=2011&team_id=143

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7347989/2011-free-agency-cincinnati-reds-dontrelle-willis-philadelphia-phillies-agree-source-says
this offseason is full of meh
Mike Trout a Phillie yet?

Share 49ersWebzone