LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 274 users in the forums

***Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread***

Originally posted by Knowledge:
Time to get the brooms ready...next gonna be easy though..Phils can't seem to hit Lincecum

Cant really seem to hit cain or bumgarner either, but as you can see, you can still win because of our crap offense.
Time to get the brooms ready...next gonna be easy though..Phils can't seem to hit Lincecum

Originally posted by BoiseNiner:

Surprising since he's only a "very good" pitcher.

Very good pitchers are hard to hit

had a hard time with Cain as well

boy if there two teams meet in the playoffs

Doc vs Timmy

Lee vs Cain

Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Great pitchers duel tonight once Bumgarner settled in.

I'd love to see our pitchers face our lineup sometime.

These games really do have that rivalry/playoff type feel to them.

I honestly in no way fear Howard. I know dude has mad power but his average is so bad and anytime there are two strikes I feel like its a guaranteed K. (Now he's gonna have a monster game cuz I said that) but its like any time there are two strikes he will swing at anything. I wonder What his average is with two strikes?

i expected howard to struggle he just stinks against lefties...Howard is what he is..a big power bat that will stike out alot but dirve you in 140 rbis a year..i love the guy..my favorite Philly...if howard only struck out 100 times a year and batted .300 every year hed be the greatest hitter to ever play the game...hes not that

Howard 1-11 with 8 Ks

I would be so frustrated if i had the second highest paid player in baseball be like that as often as he does it.

Good series. Hope to see u guys in the NLCS again

I honestly in no way fear Howard. I know dude has mad power but his average is so bad and anytime there are two strikes I feel like its a guaranteed K. (Now he's gonna have a monster game cuz I said that) but its like any time there are two strikes he will swing at anything. I wonder What his average is with two strikes?

i expected howard to struggle he just stinks against lefties...Howard is what he is..a big power bat that will stike out alot but dirve you in 140 rbis a year..i love the guy..my favorite Philly...if howard only struck out 100 times a year and batted .300 every year hed be the greatest hitter to ever play the game...hes not that

lol, and if Eli Whiteside hit .320 every year, with 40 HR and 30 SB for 15 years, hed be a top 5 player of all time.

Howard is a good player, but not a great player. hes got big power, but strikes out WAY too much, and doesnt really walk. RBI's mean very little, because it has to do with whos on base in front of you. its nice he drives in 140, but he could have been the same player on the Oakland A's, and hed have like 85 RBI's.

Howard has benefited from playing in a good lineup in a great hitters park. his career avg is mediocre, his career OB% is low for a guy who is supposed to be a star 1B, and his high career SLG% with average doubles totals throughout the years is indicative of how much he relies on the HR for his production. plus hes a threat to break the single season K record every season.

Ian Kinsler has the same career WAR as Howard in 2 fewer seasons played.

Its partially the HORRIBLE contract the Phillies gave Howard, but ive always thought he was pretty overrated, and wouldnt be such a star away from the Philly bandbox under the bright lights of the east coast.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Aug 7, 2011 at 4:29 PM ]

Howard 1-11 with 8 Ks

I would be so frustrated if i had the second highest paid player in baseball be like that as often as he does it.

Good series. Hope to see u guys in the NLCS again

phillies fans have just come to accept it...if he didnt lead the league in rbis almost every year then it would be a problem
Originally posted by Niners99:

lol, and if Eli Whiteside hit .320 every year, with 40 HR and 30 SB for 15 years, hed be a top 5 player of all time.

Howard is a good player, but not a great player. hes got big power, but strikes out WAY too much, and doesnt really walk. RBI's mean very little, because it has to do with whos on base in front of you. its nice he drives in 140, but he could have been the same player on the Oakland A's, and hed have like 85 RBI's.

Howard has benefited from playing in a good lineup in a great hitters park. his career avg is mediocre, his career OB% is low for a guy who is supposed to be a star 1B, and his high career SLG% with average doubles totals throughout the years is indicative of how much he relies on the HR for his production. plus hes a threat to break the single season K record every season.

Its partially the HORRIBLE contract the Phillies gave Howard, but ive always thought he was pretty overrated, and wouldnt be such a star away from the Philly bandbox under the bright lights of the east coast.

whiteside doesnt produce period so you can even compare...howard would have MVP numbers every year if he batted .300 like he did his second year in the league..but hes not that...and i stopped reading after you said RBI's mean very little

whiteside doesnt produce period so you can even compare...howard would have MVP numbers every year if he batted .300 like he did his second year in the league..but hes not that...and i stopped reading after you said RBI's mean very little

lol whats funny is a guy named "Knowledge" thinks RBI's mean anything. guess its not baseball knowledge...

RBI's are a purely chance based stat. guys who hit 4, 5, and 6 get them. guys who bat elsewhere dont get as many. put one guy at leadoff, and another in the 5 hole, and the 5 hole guy WILL have more RBI's. its not because hes better, its because he batted with men on base much more often.

Keith Law on RBI's:

Do you really think that RBIs are useless, rather than just overvalued?

Totally useless. In terms of measuring the value of a player’s performance, I find them absolutely useless because 1) it’s determined by how many opportunities you get — the guys who hit in front of you in the lineup, how often did they get on base; and 2) there’s no particular skill to driving runs in. There’s no such thing as a hitter who is significantly better in RBI opportunities. Guys might do that over a year or two over the course of their careers, but you are not seeing guys who are just substantially better than the norm with runners in scoring position. Obviously all hitters hit a little bit better with men on base and pitchers working out of the stretch, maybe he doesn’t generate the same velocity. But in general, a hitter’s a hitter, whether there’s nobody on base or there are guys on second and third. ...

There’s not really a guy out there who’s better in RBI situations. If you’re in an RBI situation, if you’re in a clutch situation, the guy you want at the plate is just your best hitter, period – the guy who’s going to produce the most offensively or give you the least chance of making an out, because obviously in a clutch situation, in an RBI situation, the last thing you want is an out. So get me the guy up there who’s the least likely to make an out or who’s most likely to get that extra-base hit, regardless of what the situation is, because I think if you really look deep down into it, over the course of multiple seasons, you won’t find that those guys who you’re talking about who step up in big situations really exist.
80-42

Madson
man is this September gonna be boring
Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!! Clinched the division 5 years running. Here's to breaking the Braves' record of 14 straight!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL 7 losses in a row now after their 98th win. you guys only needed 4 wins in your final 12 games to set the Phillies wins record. still need 4 wins with 5 to play.

This is what happens to teams who coast into the playoffs. they lose that feeling of urgency and go cold. with the D'Backs being red hot, id be sweating just a little if i was Philly. theres a good reason why its been 25 years since the last time the NL wins leader has won the WS.
LOL 7 losses in a row now after their 98th win. you guys only needed 4 wins in your final 12 games to set the Phillies wins record. still need 4 wins with 5 to play.

This is what happens to teams who coast into the playoffs. they lose that feeling of urgency and go cold. with the D'Backs being red hot, id be sweating just a little if i was Philly. theres a good reason why its been 25 years since the last time the NL wins leader has won the WS.

we've been rolling out the JV squad...not a bit worried...unlike last year(Giants) there is not a team in the NL that has a pitching staff that im worried about...if we get rolled the last 3 games of the season by the Braves then ill start to get worried
Share 49ersWebzone