49ers 2024 Salary Cap Thread, Cap Room=$6,197,214 as of 4/13/24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by DarkShinobiX:
Originally posted by bigwads:
Instant cap savings for cutting: 1) McKinnon-$4,550,000 2) Colemen-$4,900,000; 3) Goodwin-$3,656,000 4) Sol. Thomas-$3,896,022(if traded)

Total: $17,002,022.

If we restructure Garapolo we get another ~$18,000,000 or so.

Technically with top 51 rule, take away $510K as someone will replace them on the top 51 list. Also Solly is actually closer to $4.3M in cash/$4M in cap ish.

Redoing Jimmy would save over $19M, Dee would save over $10M, and over $7M for Staley.

I seriously doubt the team would ask Staley to restructure his deal, seeing how he already did a couple years back and realistically speaking next is very likely his last.

Technically they don't need to ask Staley, restructures are now automatic for teams, it cuts out negotiations and such. So if they want to restructure anyones deal, they can and will.

Now that I didn't know. Very good information. I'm excited to see what we do with the next few months.!
Originally posted by mayo49:
AB, what cap number do you think we need to get to - to get everything accomplished?

Restructure Jimmy, Dee, and Staley, cut Goodwin, and either cut or redo Jet, and we would be good to get our guys re-signed, or get someone added, like a Darius Slay.
  • dj43
I wonder when a top-tier player will be willing to step up and say, "$10M is enough, I don't need another $10M just for bragging rights. I would rather you pass that money on to other teammates so we can keep this crew together and keep winning."

Every year we hear UFAs say they want to go to a winning team, however, their own contract demands have prevented their current team from winning. At some point, one might hope that long-term winning is more important than some extra millions.

Maybe this year the 49ers will make the move...
  • fip24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
I wonder when a top-tier player will be willing to step up and say, "$10M is enough, I don't need another $10M just for bragging rights. I would rather you pass that money on to other teammates so we can keep this crew together and keep winning."

Every year we hear UFAs say they want to go to a winning team, however, their own contract demands have prevented their current team from winning. At some point, one might hope that long-term winning is more important than some extra millions.

Taking less for the good of the team sounds great to everyone other than the person/player being asked to take less. Would you take less money so that others at your company can make more?
I don't blame these guys for getting everything they can during this very short window as an NFL player

Unfortunately the agents are often the reason behind the demands. Five % of 15 million instead of 10 million is another $250,000 in the agents pocket. I'm guessing they get paid based on what's guaranteed so they get their money.
  • dj43
Originally posted by fip24:

Taking less for the good of the team sounds great to everyone other than the person/player being asked to take less. Would you take less money so that others at your company can make more?
I don't blame these guys for getting everything they can during this very short window as an NFL player

The company model doesn't really work here.

A competitive model like pro football works if the team has excellent chemistry and star players are willing to take a bit less so that balance and depth can be maintained.

Arik Armstead is a good example. He may be in line for an $18M/yr contract. Would he be willing to take $14M/ so the team could afford to resign Sanders?

$14M is still a boatload of cash, and if his agent is doing a good job for him, he will line up plenty of sound investment opportunities that will more than make up for the $4M he gave up so the team could sign other important players.

If doesn't work for role players who are on vet minimum or the equivalent. They need to get all they can while they can. They may never see a $2M/yr contract.
Imagine, if Kittle, DeFo, AA, Ward, and Sanders all took a few million less a year, they could afford someone like a Darius Slay long term.
Imagine, if Kittle, DeFo, AA, Ward, and Sanders all took a few million less a year, they could afford someone like a Darius Slay long term.

Cocktease

Still so glad you're back
[ Edited by elguapo on Feb 22, 2020 at 2:11 AM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:

Cocktease

Thanks bud, glad to be back. Would be cool to see something like this happen though.

A competitive model like pro football works if the team has excellent chemistry and star players are willing to take a bit less so that balance and depth can be maintained.

Arik Armstead is a good example. He may be in line for an $18M/yr contract. Would he be willing to take $14M/ so the team could afford to resign Sanders?

$14M is still a boatload of cash, and if his agent is doing a good job for him, he will line up plenty of sound investment opportunities that will more than make up for the $4M he gave up so the team could sign other important players.

If doesn't work for role players who are on vet minimum or the equivalent. They need to get all they can while they can. They may never see a $2M/yr contract.

I can't get this fantasy out of my mind where AA and Buck decide that they'll both take $15M/yr contracts because they want to help the team and stay together as starters on the d-line. Then that inspires several other players to make team friendly deals and this season they kumbaya their way to a Super Bowl win.
[ Edited by 49erphan on Feb 22, 2020 at 7:15 AM ]

The thought of players taking less for the good of the team sounds nice but very few will actually do it. Not everyone is married to a super model making $40 million a year. The agents don't like that either since it takes money out of their pocket.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
The thought of players taking less for the good of the team sounds nice but very few will actually do it. Not everyone is married to a super model making $40 million a year. The agents don't like that either since it takes money out of their pocket.
Maybe they can get Richard Sherman and his wife to represent them
Originally posted by 49erphan:

I can't get this fantasy out of my mind where AA and Buck decide that they'll both take $15M/yr contracts because they want to help the team and stay together as starters on the d-line. Then that inspires several other players to make team friendly deals and this season they kumbaya their way to a Super Bowl win.

Ya, that's just not realistic. Very few players do that, and I don't expect players who live in Cali to do the same. They worked hard and have the talent to be payed a crazy amount and be set for life. An extra 5 million a year is still a lot. And when you consider where most these players come from, they aren't looking at 5 mil like it's chump change.

Especially when you play such a violent sport that can end your career on any given play. Maybe if contracts were fully guaranteed players would be more inclined to do so. but AA taking 10-15 mil less over 5 years, when he can be cut after 2 years and only see a third of that money is gonna make most players say hell no.
Originally posted by elguapo:

Cocktease

Thanks bud, glad to be back. Would be cool to see something like this happen though.

I agree it would be so awesome but I don't think we will make a move for a corner of his talent until after Sherman is not with us. It sucks to say but it seems pretty realistic. We would be wise to get another good corner because then we would not have problems with teams like Kansas City or a bad matchup with Sherman even though he doesn't get beat that often. It would be worth giving up Armstead for Slay in my opinion
welcome back, ab!

from a cap perspective, what's the difference between a round 1 guy cost profile versus them getting a 2 and a 4 back? they seem to do a good job of mining talent in the lower rounds and free agent list anyways.
Share 49ersWebzone