LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

49ers 2024 Salary Cap Thread, Cap Room=$6,197,214 as of 4/13/24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kirkscrafford:
Does Coleman come off the books because he went on season long IR?

No, the 49ers are required to pay him his full $2.005M salary while on IR.
Okay... so let's look at this conservatively. We're over the cap next year before cuts/trades/rollover and not factoring in any re-signings I believe. We will also need to get deals done for Buckner and Kittle. Do we need to decide on Thomas' 5th year option as well? In any case, say we carry over $25 million but we don't want to spend any of that. The rest of our cash has to come from cuts and restructures. So.. who do we get rid of? Well, here's my top 5 list (in no particular order):

1. Jerick McKinnon | Savings: $4.8 million
Barely has seen the field, and if Coleman can do what we wanted Jet to do, there's no point in keeping him anymore.

2. Jacquiski Tartt | Savings: $4.9 million
He's been hurt a lot, and while he's been solid when healthy, you could argue the team has guys on the roster to cheaply replace him.

3. K'Waun Williams | Savings: $2.5 million
He's been very good when healthy, but we have some promising guys who can play both slot and outside CB.

4. Marquise Goodwin | Savings: $3.8 million
Was pretty dangerous with Jimmy when he was healthy. This year is big for his future with the team.

5. Kyle Juszczyk | Savings: $5.5 million
Arguably the best FB in the NFL, but could we get by with a cheap draft pick instead?

Total savings: Approximately $20 million.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Okay... so let's look at this conservatively. We're over the cap next year before cuts/trades/rollover and not factoring in any re-signings I believe. We will also need to get deals done for Buckner and Kittle. Do we need to decide on Thomas' 5th year option as well? In any case, say we carry over $25 million but we don't want to spend any of that. The rest of our cash has to come from cuts and restructures. So.. who do we get rid of? Well, here's my top 5 list (in no particular order):

Barely has seen the field, and if Coleman can do what we wanted Jet to do, there's no point in keeping him anymore.

He's been hurt a lot, and while he's been solid when healthy, you could argue the team has guys on the roster to cheaply replace him.

He's been very good when healthy, but we have some promising guys who can play both slot and outside CB.

Was pretty dangerous with Jimmy when he was healthy. This year is big for his future with the team.

Arguably the best FB in the NFL, but could we get by with a cheap draft pick instead?

We don't need to use any cap room on a deal for Buckner, he's due $12.378M, we can use most of it for the bonus structure. Kittle will take up cap room though.

I don't see Juice being cut at all, actually his 2020 year is an option year. I think Jet, and Goodwin stick if they produce.

Williams and Tartt seem destined to be cut or traded, also Williams's 2020 year is an option year.

We can save over $18M by extending Jimmy G(if he has a breakout year) by adding 2 years to his deal(say $23M base salaries, same per game roster bonuses and workout bonuses for 2023 and 2024), and lower his base salary to $1M for 2020, we save $18.8M in cap room.

If the 49ers want to extend others like Juice and Sherman, they can reduce their base salaries and use the difference as bonuses.

But Tartt and Williams are likely goners unless they take pay cuts.

Also Mike Person, Mark Nzecoah, David Mayo, and Laken Tomlinson are cap cut candidates in 2020 IMO, we need better Guards, not sold on either, I would keep both LBs if they make it, I can't see them cutting Mayo this year, he looks good, and we save like $100K that's it. Nzeocha is very little also.
FYI, we save the following on the following players.

Laken Tomlinson- $2.75M
Mike Person- $2.5M
Mark Nzeocha- $1.5M
David Mayo- $1.25M
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

We don't need to use any cap room on a deal for Buckner, he's due $12.378M, we can use most of it for the bonus structure. Kittle will take up cap room though.

I don't see Juice being cut at all, actually his 2020 year is an option year. I think Jet, and Goodwin stick if they produce.

Williams and Tartt seem destined to be cut or traded, also Williams's 2020 year is an option year.

We can save over $18M by extending Jimmy G(if he has a breakout year) by adding 2 years to his deal(say $23M base salaries, same per game roster bonuses and workout bonuses for 2023 and 2024), and lower his base salary to $1M for 2020, we save $18.8M in cap room.

If the 49ers want to extend others like Juice and Sherman, they can reduce their base salaries and use the difference as bonuses.

Also Mike Person, Mark Nzecoah, David Mayo, and Laken Tomlinson are cap cut candidates in 2020 IMO, we need better Guards, not sold on either, I would keep both LBs if they make it, I can't see them cutting Mayo this year, he looks good, and we save like $100K that's it. Nzeocha is very little also.

I'd this where you got the 50-60mil pre cut projected figure for next year?
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Aug 22, 2019 at 9:13 AM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I'd thos where you got the 50-60mil pre cut projected figure did next year?

I'll have what he's having!! Haha
I
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I'd thos where you got the 50-60mil pre cut projected figure did next year?

I'll have what he's having!! Haha
I

Lol Jesus I need to have another coffee.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

Yeah the guys at the bottom would've made the Top 10 list if I took it that far. We just really need to find some upgrade in the draft and or trades to limit the amount of cap space being used on dead weight.
I would have thought Celek, Smith and Garnett might have been worth some gap. I'm not sold on Nzeo either.
  • HERN
  • Veteran
So what's the skinny on Ramsey? Is it a deal that can get done AND have money for Buck and Kittle?

Originally posted by HERN:
So what's the skinny on Ramsey? Is it a deal that can get done AND have money for Buck and Kittle?

No, we can't afford all 3, plus keep others around.

New article on 49erscap.com, https://49erscap.com/index.php/2019/10/02/taking-a-peak-at-the-49ers-2020-salary-cap-situation-after-the-first-4-weeks-of-the-2019-season/
Even if we cut McKinnon and the salary cap going up 10 mil a year roughly? That's over 15mil just from 1 cut and the salary cap increasing.

So in my opinion every year a team can create at least 15 million in cap Room by cutting a decent player and the salary cap going up so in essence you can afford one extremely good to elite player a year by doing this.

I think Chris Harris is a much better trade option. He can play outside and inside and is cheaper draft compensation wise and salary wise.

Do it. Bacardi and cola. Do it. Do it.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Even if we cut McKinnon and the salary cap going up 10 mil a year roughly? That's over 15mil just from 1 cut and the salary cap increasing.

So in my opinion every year a team can create at least 15 million in cap Room by cutting a decent player and the salary cap going up so in essence you can afford one extremely good to elite player a year by doing this.

I think Chris Harris is a much better trade option. He can play outside and inside and is cheaper draft compensation wise and salary wise.

Do it. Bacardi and cola. Do it. Do it.

I have the $10M increase included in my 2020 numbers, we're only $6M under for next year, adding Harris would take away about $8M from carryover. We're only $18M under right now.
Also McKinnon has a $2.6M Injury guarantee in 2020, fully GTD on April 1, so we may not be able to save the full $4.3M(After top 51 rule)
Was there anything in McKinnons contract about games played or being on the 53? Some players have that, so if they're hurt all the time, the team saves money. Any of that in McKinnons deal? I hope so, because he's gotten paid for 2 seasons now, and not played in a single regular season game.
Share 49ersWebzone