There are 114 users in the forums

49ers 2020 Cap Room=$11,541,847 as of 7/1/20

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Any reason why they don't restructure/extend Jimmy G and reduce his cap #?
No, he's not Brett Favre but he has helped turn this floundering team into a winner again.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
They'd be able to save $11.26M by redoing Dee's deal, and $9.18M by redoing Kwon's deal, so that's about $4M more for Dee and $3M more for Kwon if they were cut, I just don't see Kyle and John cutting them, doesn't make a ton of sense, when they have no one on the team to replace Dee, and also to replace Kwon, but also replace Dre at the SAM LB spot, Nzeocha, Al-Shaair, etc... aren't as good as Kwon and Dre. By 2023, Kwon won't be around unless he either 1. has a great couple seasons, or 2. takes a giant paycut, same for Dee.

I pray that the 2021 cap is $198.2M, cause in my latest projection, I only have us restructuring Jimmy and Dee's deals, we only would have a little over $4M in cap room to sign our picks, but it's doable, since only the 1st and 2nd rd picks would count in the offseason.

They could choose to move on from Ward if the cap is $198.2M, and save a little over $3M pre June 1, a bit more Post June 1.

I don't expect any real post june 1 cuts, since that money 1. isn't ours until June 2nd, which is way past free agency, and 2. their salaries stay on the books until June 2nd. Same goes for Richburg, it'll really depend on how well he can play if he comes back, cause they don't save much more than $3M by not picking up his 2021 option.

And for those saying the cap is FAKE, it's NOT. You can just manipulate it. No cheating the cap like in 1994 when the 49ers did it with under the table deals for Steve Young.

VEHEMENTLY disagree with the bold. Any defensive end in the NFL can replace Dee Ford. The biggest factor to success in the NFL is availability. How can you say that there's no one to replace him if he hasn't seen the field this year and will probably miss the rest of the year? He's damaged goods at this point. I can understand if he had a major injury like Bosa, but his issues are just wear and tear on the body. He had a whole off season to "recover" and he hasn't played an NFL snap this season. If the team can save $6 million by cutting his ass, then it needs to be done. I will give Kwon a pass because at least he's been able to play in some games this season. (although he's not worth the contract)

If this team is smart and can save $6 million each by letting go of Ford and Kwon, then the team should do so. Do you think successful franchises like the Steelers or the Patriots (of the past) would keep these clowns around given their high price tag? No! What those teams would do is they sign players like Ford or Alexander to one year deals after a much dumber team made a heavy investment in those players and lost their investment. And in turn, those type of players turn around and become productive for those winning franchises. Keeping damaged goods like Ford, and to a lesser extent, Kwon, is the reason why the 49ers have to trade productive, proven and elite level players, like Buckner, for draft picks.

And apparently, this "mystery salary cap room" that the 49ers supposedly had, is all gone.
I agree that after this season, BOTH Alexander+Ford should be shopped for anything as far as draft picks go. We might not get much of anything, but if there's no takers for mid to late round pick for either, then I would just cut both. We can do either the June 1st cut to get more money this year, but take another hit in 2022, or we can just straight cut them and take the full hits in 2021, while still saving 6.4 million after dead money on Ford, and 8.6 million after dead money on Kwon. That is just under 15 million saved, with all the dead money accumulating in 2021, thus opening up more money going forward.

Greenlaw can take Alexanders spot, and we can draft someone in the mid rounds to take over Greenlaws spot. Ford never plays for us anyways, so we can look to draft a new end to go opposite Bosa, or we can bring Hyder back and fill in behind them. Richburg is getting in this must get rid of group, and if he doesn't come back this year, or sucks when he comes back, then I would do the same with Richburg and recoup just under 5 million by cutting/trading him and taking all the dead money in 2021.

We could really open up some money both short and long term, by trading/cutting Ford+Alexander+Richburg+Jimmy G this off season. The Patriots would give us a couple good picks to get Jimmy G back, so getting more picks+freeing up that money could go along ways in our retooling. Get a 2nd and a 3rd for Jimmy, and with those picks draft a Center and a LB.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
I agree that after this season, BOTH Alexander+Ford should be shopped for anything as far as draft picks go. We might not get much of anything, but if there's no takers for mid to late round pick for either, then I would just cut both. We can do either the June 1st cut to get more money this year, but take another hit in 2022, or we can just straight cut them and take the full hits in 2021, while still saving 6.4 million after dead money on Ford, and 8.6 million after dead money on Kwon. That is just under 15 million saved, with all the dead money accumulating in 2021, thus opening up more money going forward.

Greenlaw can take Alexanders spot, and we can draft someone in the mid rounds to take over Greenlaws spot. Ford never plays for us anyways, so we can look to draft a new end to go opposite Bosa, or we can bring Hyder back and fill in behind them. Richburg is getting in this must get rid of group, and if he doesn't come back this year, or sucks when he comes back, then I would do the same with Richburg and recoup just under 5 million by cutting/trading him and taking all the dead money in 2021.

We could really open up some money both short and long term, by trading/cutting Ford+Alexander+Richburg+Jimmy G this off season. The Patriots would give us a couple good picks to get Jimmy G back, so getting more picks+freeing up that money could go along ways in our retooling. Get a 2nd and a 3rd for Jimmy, and with those picks draft a Center and a LB.

Big problem is if the cap is only $175M, then the team will be screwed cause I now what happened to the cap room, they basically pushed the dead money up into 2020, Richburg no longer has dead money in 2023, while Kwon has less in 2023. Also for some odd reason they pseudo extended/restructured Laken's deal, and they didn't save any money, it added a little over $300K to his 2020 cap number, plus he has a bit over $1.5M in dead money in 2022 for some reason, idk why they did it.

I don't see them cutting Jimmy, makes no sense to do this, who replaces him? Mullens isn't ready, Beathard is garbage, no real alternative, we're not tanking for a top QB, and Matt Ryan makes no sense IMO.

As for Dee, Richburg, and Kwon, idk what they do with them, if this "rumor" about Kwon being shopped for Kerrigan is true, then he's probably cut next offseason, I don't see Dee cut, they save $11.26M redoing his deal, without it, they'd only save a bit over $6M. Richburg will depend on his health, I don't blame him for his injury, couldn't prevent it, I'd keep him, unless he seriously can't go anymore.

As for June 1 cuts, as I've explained before, you 1. don't get the money until June 2nd, which FA is way way way over by then, and 2. their cap numbers remain on the cap until June 2nd. And they don't need cap room to extend someone like Fred Warner, since it won't take much cap space like Kittle's deal only took up $3M in cap room.
I get it AB, some on here are just tired of having these guys around sucking up money, while being in effective or hurt. Then we compound the problem by redoing their deals and basically keeping them around longer, instead of just biting the bullet and moving on from them. Richburg I hope bounces back and stays healthy going forward, because we need him. Ford if he can kick his injuries is huge as well, because having someone opposite Bosa is huge. Alexander can go though, Greenlaw is a easy replacement.
New cap room for 2020 right now is $1,793,172
I get it AB, some on here are just tired of having these guys around sucking up money, while being in effective or hurt. Then we compound the problem by redoing their deals and basically keeping them around longer, instead of just biting the bullet and moving on from them. Richburg I hope bounces back and stays healthy going forward, because we need him. Ford if he can kick his injuries is huge as well, because having someone opposite Bosa is huge. Alexander can go though, Greenlaw is a easy replacement.

I'm starting to change my mind on Kwon, they moved money up by declining the bogus option years he had in the future, so by cutting him in 2021 they save like $8.4M, while redoing only saves $9.18M, it depends on the rest of the season. As for Dee, I'd still redo his deal, only $6.2M savings if cut, $11.26M if redone again. Richburg is 50/50, good thing is no more dead money in 2023 for Richburg.

Also the Tomlinson restructure did save $1.34M, info was wrong on his deal.
Any update on the cap space for this year/future years after trading Kwon and adding Alonso? 2020 and 2021?
the extra 12 mil the team saves on Kwon, will go to Warners restructure, K Williams and Verrets extension

I'm starting to change my mind on Kwon, they moved money up by declining the bogus option years he had in the future, so by cutting him in 2021 they save like $8.4M, while redoing only saves $9.18M, it depends on the rest of the season. As for Dee, I'd still redo his deal, only $6.2M savings if cut, $11.26M if redone again. Richburg is 50/50, good thing is no more dead money in 2023 for Richburg.

can you explain by chance Jimmy's contract situation going into next season? how much would the 49ers have to pay him if they keep him/dont re-structure?

Originally posted by SkyZer0:

can you explain by chance Jimmy's contract situation going into next season? how much would the 49ers have to pay him if they keep him/dont re-structure?

His cap number is $26,805,882 for 2021, they'd save $24,005,882 by cutting or trading him pre June 1, dead money of $2.8M in 2021. They wouldn't hold onto him or designate him a June 1 cut, as they wouldn't get the money until June 2nd, and his $26.805M cap number stays until June 2nd.

If they restructure him or extend him, they can save, max, $18.42M.

His cap number is $26,805,882 for 2021, they'd save $24,005,882 by cutting or trading him pre June 1, dead money of $2.8M in 2021. They wouldn't hold onto him or designate him a June 1 cut, as they wouldn't get the money until June 2nd, and his $26.805M cap number stays until June 2nd.

If they restructure him or extend him, they can save, max, $18.42M.

he would have to take a massive pay cut... and there are already so many big paydays coming up. (fred warner). but at the same time they can't just cut him with no backup plan in place and say "we'll figure that out later". going to be an interesting offseason
he would have to take a massive pay cut... and there are already so many big paydays coming up. (fred warner). but at the same time they can't just cut him with no backup plan in place and say "we'll figure that out later". going to be an interesting offseason

Cut Jimmy G and sign RG3
What does someone picking Pettis up do for us? Does that lessen his cap hit?

For some of the other guys that got put on IR but really aren't going to come back as the short term help, how come we dont' work out an injury settlement to cut dollars of the books? I never understood why they put Tavon Austin on IR.
Originally posted by kirkscrafford:
What does someone picking Pettis up do for us? Does that lessen his cap hit?

For some of the other guys that got put on IR but really aren't going to come back as the short term help, how come we dont' work out an injury settlement to cut dollars of the books? I never understood why they put Tavon Austin on IR.

These are the players on IR.

Garoppolo - Base salary is GTD, would never take a settlement
Mostert - No way they would get rid of him
Wilson - Same as Mostert
Hurd - Not cutting him
Thompson - Wouldn't gain much
Jennings - Likely heading back to PS soon
Kittle - Obvious
Garland - base salary is fully GTD
Bosa - Not being cut
Ansah - Not sure why he'd take a settlement when he could just collect checks
Ford - Deal is fully GTD besides they wouldn't save much, only a $910,013 base
Thomas - Dead is fully GTD
Nzeocha - Base is fully GTD
Sherman - Base is fully GTD

No one will take an injury settlement when their deals are GTD, as for placing guys on IR, either they place them, or work our a settlement, you can't release them without paying them something.
Share 49erswebzone