LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

49ers 2024 Salary Cap Thread, Cap Room=$6,197,214 as of 4/13/24

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Love the cap thread. Good to see AB back. I know we have a number of cuts or trades we can make to free up some money. It seems like we need more restructuring too to free up money to sign everyone and even think of additions. They said recently they were done restructuring. Do you think that is to show only a small amount of cap space to force the agents to agree to cheaper deals since the players want to be back? Then, they could restructure someone to bring the last person back and add some people. I figure if they did the restructures now, the agents will want to eat up all the space with higher contracts.
I know we don't want to push all the money into the future and end up in cap hell, but the cap is supposed to go way up with the new CBA and we have some people like Staley and Sherman coming off the books soon.
We need to retain our guys and there are going to be a few players out there in FA that could fill some needs.
Originally posted by kirkscrafford:
welcome back, ab!

from a cap perspective, what's the difference between a round 1 guy cost profile versus them getting a 2 and a 4 back? they seem to do a good job of mining talent in the lower rounds and free agent list anyways.

Not a big difference between a rd 1 and a rd 2/rd 4 combo, just no 5th yr options for non 1st rd guys.

And thanks, good to be back.
Originally posted by jobiwon:
Love the cap thread. Good to see AB back. I know we have a number of cuts or trades we can make to free up some money. It seems like we need more restructuring too to free up money to sign everyone and even think of additions. They said recently they were done restructuring. Do you think that is to show only a small amount of cap space to force the agents to agree to cheaper deals since the players want to be back? Then, they could restructure someone to bring the last person back and add some people. I figure if they did the restructures now, the agents will want to eat up all the space with higher contracts.
I know we don't want to push all the money into the future and end up in cap hell, but the cap is supposed to go way up with the new CBA and we have some people like Staley and Sherman coming off the books soon.
We need to retain our guys and there are going to be a few players out there in FA that could fill some needs.

I think either way our guys will cost what they want. So AA will want/get what he wants, same for Sanders. But a guy like Ward could get no action ala Dashon Goldson and come back on a cheap 1 or 2 yr deal.

Thanks good to be back.
do we really have enough to give AA what he wants + extend Buck, and Kittle this offseason????
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
do we really have enough to give AA what he wants + extend Buck, and Kittle this offseason????

I believe so, if Paraag thinks we can do it, which I'm sure he does, than we can. Buck won't cost cap room, we could lower his way down, and save a ton of money, use it on AA and Kittle.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:

I believe so, if Paraag thinks we can do it, which I'm sure he does, than we can. Buck won't cost cap room, we could lower his way down, and save a ton of money, use it on AA and Kittle.

Awesome! thanks AB
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Thanks for the insight, AB - it's tremendous to have you back.
AB, when do you think we will start to see the restructues happening so we actually go up?
This years cap is set at 198.2 million.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
This years cap is set at 198.2 million.

Is this locked in or subject to see what happens over the next few months? With other sports shortening seasons, no spectators, the projected revenues fall short.

AB, an article on the front page "How the new CBA will affect the 49ers" says the new CBA allows for extensions, restructures to aid in cap space. Are you aware of the differences between this CBA and the old one that make these types of moves more viable? This has obviously been a common thing, restructuring to push money to future years, converting to bonus $ etc. What's changed and do you think it will change our strategy in how we approach this off season?
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
What we at now since Buckner is gone?
  • fan49
  • Veteran
After the totals of Ward and armistead, do we know what the total is? Plus what the total is if we roll over money?
Originally posted by jimrat:

At 16 mil before wards deal. Since we don't know the exact 2020 figure we aren't sure yet. I would probably guess around 10 mil
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by jimrat:

At 16 mil before wards deal. Since we don't know the exact 2020 figure we aren't sure yet. I would probably guess around 10 mil

Do we know roughly an estimate on what it will cost for the rookie class?
Share 49ersWebzone