LISTEN: 49ers Defensive Coordinator Search & Roster Musings →

There are 272 users in the forums

Week 1 PITT Steelers Coaches Film Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Sweet!
Seems like both sides of the ball are in midseason form and came ready to play.

One question I have... feels like JTO and a couple other analysts have brought it up:
On that play where Purdy beat the free blitzer... awesome play on his end, but schematically, where should he be going with the football since there doesn't seem to be a hot read? My only assumption is that the QB has to either deal with it, like Purdy did, or he just has to figure out how to throw it away.

We have a few plays where there's really no good outlet. I'd have to be in the meeting room to know what Kyle's thought process is. I'm sure it's a breakdown in protection and he probably just assumes his QB should eat it(give himself up). But, we've also seen that's real tough for QB's to swallow.

It's also possible that one of the WR needs to sight adjust and change his route to something that is a viable option in the case of a blitz. But if the WR doesn't change his route, we (fans) think there is no hot on the play.

Hope that's the case. It seems reasonable that a WR can make that adjustment if his defender blitzes.
These types of plays don't happen often, but they do happen and they're the type of plays that can get a QB injured. I assume it's something they crack down on. Fortunate that Purdy was very aware of the CB blitz on that one.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by cortana49:
Like and subscribe ya'll!

And we're still rocking that AMAZING intro!!!!

Yes, it's holding up extremely well! Let me know if you want to update it a bit. (I was thinking some new screen shots of the new software you use might be enough)
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Sweet!
Seems like both sides of the ball are in midseason form and came ready to play.

One question I have... feels like JTO and a couple other analysts have brought it up:
On that play where Purdy beat the free blitzer... awesome play on his end, but schematically, where should he be going with the football since there doesn't seem to be a hot read? My only assumption is that the QB has to either deal with it, like Purdy did, or he just has to figure out how to throw it away.

We have a few plays where there's really no good outlet. I'd have to be in the meeting room to know what Kyle's thought process is. I'm sure it's a breakdown in protection and he probably just assumes his QB should eat it(give himself up). But, we've also seen that's real tough for QB's to swallow.

It's also possible that one of the WR needs to sight adjust and change his route to something that is a viable option in the case of a blitz. But if the WR doesn't change his route, we (fans) think there is no hot on the play.

Thats true as well. Most of the plays in his playbook the outlets aren't sight adjusted though. I'm sure there is some answer that's supposed to be there though.
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 35,592
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Well here it is guys and gals. The very first breakdown video. What a resounding win and man, Brock Purdy looks like the real deal out there.

https://youtu.be/mo6E2yJEMX0

I think we have a winner - #13.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 1,868
Originally posted by SlowDownBoy:
Excellent game plan by Mr. Wilks

I'm just a stupid idiot for doubting Wilks after the pre-season.
The defense was awesome.
Originally posted by pdc20:
Originally posted by SlowDownBoy:
Excellent game plan by Mr. Wilks

I'm just a stupid idiot for doubting Wilks after the pre-season.
The defense was awesome.

Great job by him, but its only week 1 against pickett so theres still a whole season to go and see what we really have in him.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Well here it is guys and gals. The very first breakdown video. What a resounding win and man, Brock Purdy looks like the real deal out there.

https://youtu.be/mo6E2yJEMX0

T.J. Watt's reaction after the play at 7:24 says it all... looking back at Purdy like "How the f**k did he still get something out of that???"
Originally posted by Afrikan:
T.J. Watt's reaction after the play at 7:24 says it all... looking back at Purdy like "How the f**k did he still get something out of that???"

That was the look our pass rushers always used to have with Russ.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by pdc20:
Originally posted by SlowDownBoy:
Excellent game plan by Mr. Wilks

I'm just a stupid idiot for doubting Wilks after the pre-season.
The defense was awesome.

Great job by him, but its only week 1 against pickett so theres still a whole season to go and see what we really have in him.

Also, keep in mind it will take a while for him to get in a rhythm with some self-scouting it took Ryans about 8 weeks I think our D was awful early on and it got better (he made great half time adjustments too)

But I'm not worried about Wilks at all he is one of the best defensive coaches in the NFL and all players love him
[ Edited by ritz126 on Sep 12, 2023 at 7:33 PM ]
Jonny I have to know your opinion on the red zone offense. 1st drive was immaculate, but they really seemed to struggle in the RZ after that, which continues to be a concern to me. Do they figure it out, or is there a larger problem at play? It's been less than what I think it should be for a while, and especially with a rookie kicker I'm even more concerned. Moody came through, and I'm pleased, but against tougher opponents I worry FGs may not cut it.
[ Edited by SLCNiner on Sep 12, 2023 at 11:05 PM ]

Originally posted by ritz126:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by pdc20:
Originally posted by SlowDownBoy:
Excellent game plan by Mr. Wilks

I'm just a stupid idiot for doubting Wilks after the pre-season.
The defense was awesome.

Great job by him, but its only week 1 against pickett so theres still a whole season to go and see what we really have in him.

Also, keep in mind it will take a while for him to get in a rhythm with some self-scouting it took Ryans about 8 weeks I think our D was awful early on and it got better (he made great half time adjustments too)

But I'm not worried about Wilks at all he is one of the best defensive coaches in the NFL and all players love him

Wilks has much more coaching experience compared to Ryans, but he also has less knowledge with the 49ers players since it wasn't a hire within. I think it is too early to say the defense won't take a step back early in the season.
Nice video, Keep it up.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Jonny I have to know your opinion on the red zone offense. 1st drive was immaculate, but they really seemed to struggle in the RZ after that, which continues to be a concern to me. Do they figure it out, or is there a larger problem at play? It's been less than what I think it should be for a while, and especially with a rookie kicker I'm even more concerned. Moody came through, and I'm pleased, but against tougher opponents I worry FGs may not cut it.

We scored TD's on 2 of our 3 redzone opportunities. That is actually not bad.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Jonny I have to know your opinion on the red zone offense. 1st drive was immaculate, but they really seemed to struggle in the RZ after that, which continues to be a concern to me. Do they figure it out, or is there a larger problem at play? It's been less than what I think it should be for a while, and especially with a rookie kicker I'm even more concerned. Moody came through, and I'm pleased, but against tougher opponents I worry FGs may not cut it.

Gotta clean up negatives. We did well getting TD's in 2/3 trips but could've had more trips. Penalties and a couple blown assignments. This felt like a game we could've scored 40+
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Jonny I have to know your opinion on the red zone offense. 1st drive was immaculate, but they really seemed to struggle in the RZ after that, which continues to be a concern to me. Do they figure it out, or is there a larger problem at play? It's been less than what I think it should be for a while, and especially with a rookie kicker I'm even more concerned. Moody came through, and I'm pleased, but against tougher opponents I worry FGs may not cut it.

Gotta clean up negatives. We did well getting TD's in 2/3 trips but could've had more trips. Penalties and a couple blown assignments. This felt like a game we could've scored 40+

Yes they seemed to kind of ease off as the game moved on.
Share 49ersWebzone