LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 407 users in the forums

Do you see any situation where we give up two firsts , a 2nd and a third for a top 3 pick?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
lol there is always money, we went out and added Trent that same offseason
there was no overpay at QB, with that QB out of the lineup we stacked Ls
I don't buy this philosophy of QB on the rook contract, cuz at some point you will have to pay your QB the 2nd contract, unless you want to keep chaining one rook QB after another, that will fail tho, as eventually you will get dud QBs.
TL quickly has burned up half his rook contract, doing next to nothing, and his rook deal isn't all that cheap either

Yah paying 40 mil a year for slightly above average production would ABSOLUTELY be an overpay.

9 mil a year is a far cry from 27.

Trent was nearly 10 mil less in cap hit in 2020 then Buckner. Wasn't the same at all.

the same is irrelevant, we could have paid Buck, we chose not to, we deemed him worth less than the asking, we wanted to pay him in the Armstead range, who we paid big time also
the same is irrelevant, we could have paid Buck, we chose not to, we deemed him worth less than the asking, we wanted to pay him in the Armstead range, who we paid big time also

We deemed that we couldn't afford his price tag. The reason they wanted to pay that is because that's what they could afford.

Not a coincidence that Hargrave got a similar contract this year. It's because our QB's are making very little right now.

If we pay Brock 40 mil in 2 years you don't see that having an effect on future contracts for Drake or Hufanga or any other young player?
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on May 8, 2023 at 11:17 AM ]

We deemed that we couldn't afford his price tag. The reason they wanted to pay that is because that's what they could afford.

Not a coincidence that Hargrave got a similar contract this year. It's because our QB's are making very little right now.

If we pay Brock 40 mil in 2 years you don't see that having an effect on future contracts for Drake or Hufanga or any other young player?

it's called team building
I don't view punting on the QB position for a revolving door of rook QB contracts wise team building

the goal is finding a guy who is elite and then you have to pay him, KC doesn't regret paying Mahomes, I don't think fans of the clubs will mind seeing Hurts and Lamar Jackson out there opening day either.

the only historical comp I can think of, where we just let our QB1 walk and took some random rooks was 2004, it was the worst season in 49er team history, imo.
what's your longterm plan, just develop QBs and let em go elsewhere?
I don't view punting on the QB position for a revolving door of rook QB contracts wise team building

the goal is finding a guy who is elite and then you have to pay him, KC doesn't regret paying Mahomes, I don't think fans of the clubs will mind seeing Hurts and Lamar Jackson out there opening day either.

the only historical comp I can think of, where we just let our QB1 walk and took some random rooks was 2004, it was the worst season in 49er team history, imo.

Of course you pay the franchise guy. The issue is if they DONT play like the franchise guy.

My plan is to find and pay a guy worthy of the money. I don't want Dak Prescott for 40 million and pretend it's worth it. That is what will kill a team because you have to make choices on your other elite guys while your QB play doesn't make up the gap. Instead you have to lean on unproven rooks who may or may not be good.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on May 8, 2023 at 12:05 PM ]

Of course you pay the franchise guy. The issue is if they DONT play like the franchise guy.

My plan is to find and pay a guy worthy of the money. I don't want Dak Prescott for 40 million and pretend it's worth it.

yes I hear that, call it the Daniel Jones problem

however when you look at that D Jones contract, they gave themselves an out, it's essentially a 2 year commitment, then the club reserves the right to reassess
his cap hit in 2023 is only $21m, which is not expensive really, Lance and Darnold combine for like $15m
yes I hear that, call it the Daniel Jones problem

however when you look at that D Jones contract, they gave themselves an out, it's essentially a 2 year commitment, then the club reserves the right to reassess
his cap hit in 2023 is only $21m, which is not expensive really, Lance and Darnold combine for like $15m

If they can negotiate that with Lance or Trey that'd be fine tho hopefully one show they are elite so that's not necessary. Need to nail this QB contract the 2nd time around for the good of the future cap.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
You can't predict the future so there's no way I could say I wouldn't give up a lot of draft capital to move up. If the team falls on hard times, which is always possible then they could do something drastic to try and get back to the top. If Trey and Brock fail to get the team to a SB victory, they could possibly make a big move again if there was a QB sitting in a spot that they could grab.

the fact you can't predict the future is precisely why you shouldn't move up
you are putting all your eggs in one basket and hoping the pick hits

It depends on who you move up for. I wouldn't do it for a project in that situation but if I could get a really highly QB then I would do it. I realize that any player can tank in the NFL but if I had a shot someone like Luck, Elway, Marino or any guy like those guys I'd jump on it. If they ever get bad enough to have a shot at someone like that then they probably won't need to move up more than 2 or 3 spots.

lol there is always money, we went out and added Trent that same offseason
there was no overpay at QB, with that QB out of the lineup we stacked Ls
I don't buy this philosophy of QB on the rook contract, cuz at some point you will have to pay your QB the 2nd contract, unless you want to keep chaining one rook QB after another, that will fail tho, as eventually you will get dud QBs.
TL quickly has burned up half his rook contract, doing next to nothing, and his rook deal isn't all that cheap either

Yah paying 40 mil a year for slightly above average production would ABSOLUTELY be an overpay.

9 mil a year is a far cry from 27.

Trent was nearly 10 mil less in cap hit in 2020 then Buckner. Wasn't the same at all.

Fact is if we didn't deal Buck, we may not have AA, Aiyuk, definitely wouldn't be able to afford Trent on his new deal, or Juice, or Mooney, or Hargrave, I hated the trade, still do, only cause the pick was Kinlaw, but I'm fine with letting Buck go, just hope they don't do it with Aiyuk, they, IMO will extend BA in 2024, I'm like 99.999% sure, but that last little percentage is in my ear saying "We're gonna trade Aiyuk" I hope it was just a hey we didn't draft Buck, so we traded him, where we drafted BA, Lynch era wise, and developed him, idk, just don't know why we keep bringing up Buckner, Hargrave is IMO a better player than Buckner.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Fact is if we didn't deal Buck, we may not have AA, Aiyuk, definitely wouldn't be able to afford Trent on his new deal, or Juice, or Mooney, or Hargrave, I hated the trade, still do, only cause the pick was Kinlaw, but I'm fine with letting Buck go, just hope they don't do it with Aiyuk, they, IMO will extend BA in 2024, I'm like 99.999% sure, but that last little percentage is in my ear saying "We're gonna trade Aiyuk" I hope it was just a hey we didn't draft Buck, so we traded him, where we drafted BA, Lynch era wise, and developed him, idk, just don't know why we keep bringing up Buckner, Hargrave is IMO a better player than Buckner.

the thing to me, KS doesn't throw much compared to league avg, and KS also is a bit of a WR factory, he developed Deebo, BA, JJ, now hopefully DG

so I am onboard with develop em on the rook deal and ship em out for big comp, rinse and repeat, if we want to go that route at WR

Share 49ersWebzone