LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 165 users in the forums

Do you see any situation where we give up two firsts , a 2nd and a third for a top 3 pick?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by krizay:
We never should have done it the 1st time. Teams are FN stupid for constantly mortgaging the farm for these unknown QBs. That's just my opinion on it.

I said something like that in the Trey Lance tread. I hope the 9ers never do something stupid like that again. The only way I'd trade multiple 1st round picks again is for Patrick Mahomes or Joe Burrow.

But Mahomes and Burrow weren't Mahomes or Burrow when drafted. Neither was Joe Montana or Tom Brady. It's a lottery

No I'm saying trading for them now in the NFL.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
If you have no QB, you do it. A few things about a redraft where we had our picks-

1. Anyone thinking we would've taken Micah Parsons has paid no attention to the kind of guys we draft after the Foster situation as well as Parsons's behavior at Penn State.

2. We drafted a QB because Jimmy can't stay healthy. This isn't a Kyle thing or 49ers thing. Jimmy started 2 games instead of 4 in 2016 for the Patriots because he got hurt. I think Jimmy is a good QB, but he is injury prone. If it weren't for Brock coming in our season would've gotten derailed AGAIN due to QB injury.

3. If you don't have a QB, you've got nothing. How patient will Washington be with Ron Rivera? How patient were the Broncos with Vangio? Colts with Reich. We can go on and on. Its practically impossible to win in this league consistently unless you have good QB play. If a team has identified a particular QB as the guy and you are in need, you make the trade.

Otherwise you are building a roster of talented players for another coach, because you will be out of a job

4. We were in a better position than most teams making that trade because we were good and still had Jimmy.

5. After getting beaten by Mahommes (2019) and seeing Allen up close (2020), Kyle shifted his philosophy on what he wants in a QB. Those types cost. It is today's NFL.

Fields went 11. Jones went 13. If its just about getting a QB, there were less risky options.
Our initial pick that year would have gotten us a good player, as noted,
but those two subsequent 1st picks were late, like 29th or so. No lock to have been awesome.

I don't think this story is written yet.

You gotta go through it to get through it.
If we made the same trade but for Brock Purdy, this place would have exploded. Instead of the argument,how can we mortgage the future on someone with so little evidence of being special?! We'd argue how can we mortgage the future on someone with so much evidence of not being special?! We were never winning the SB with Jimmy G, and so a move had to be made. Time will tell, but unfortunately, it looks like the gamble did not pay off this time.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on May 3, 2023 at 1:04 PM ]
great another trey lance thread
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
If we made the same trade but for Brock Purdy, this place would have exploded. Instead of the argument,how can we mortgage the future on someone with so little evidence of being special?! We'd argue how can we mortgage the future on someone with so much evidence of not being special?! We were never winning the SB with Jimmy G, and so a move had to be made. Time will tell, but unfortunately, it looks like the gamble did not pay off this time.

I would have exploded period. Andrew Luck, Trevor Lawrence and Joe Burrow are the only QBs in the modern era I could understand throwing that kind of capital around.

To trade up weeks before the draft just to grab a QB without knowing who the f**k you wanted was really really stupid.

It's one thing to swing for the fences when they fall into your lap. It's another to do so chasing balls out of the strike zone. Which is exactly what Trey was. A ball out of the strike zone. Which has some irony to it.
  • dj43
Originally posted by lamontb:

If that is what it becomes, this thread will be closed.

Focus on the tactics of the trade AT THAT TIME and the thread has a life. Otherwise...

Mods would prefer to let it sit and demonstrate itself for a while rather than locking it prematurely.

It will be watched.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Now that the excitement, shouting, cheering, the drama, the tenseness, are over, I feel like I sat down to dinner and went away hungry. Not having any picks in rds 1 or 2 and then having 3 comp picks at end of rd 3…just left me flat. Kyle and JL were still relative newcomers to that draft, with only a few behind them. No question they took a talentless team and built it into one that is stacked with 2 NFC appearances, and 1 SB appearance. And they did it in lightning quick time. But they mortgaged the future for a small college QB wtih 1 yr of college ball and 1 yr of no football due to the covid disaster.

Yet in going back over the past week's happenings, somehow i feel we got cheated. By the time we picked, the cupboard was getting bare. It is also true that we really needed a starter OT, plus a starter swing OT, maybe a couple DBs, and perhaps a starter TE. In truth we didn't need much.

But the one glaring weakness, and it is a dilly, is QB. Yes we have a great one in Brock…but he is rehabbing an UCL and nobody knows what he will be left with talentwise, this yr…or next either. This was Trey's yr to shine but we all know what happened there…1 game in he torches his ankle and needs surgery…out for yr. Now going into this season we still have no idea what Trey brings to the table, and we got got the ??? With Brock. So yes, QB is a major league potential problem for us. And no, we aren't going anywhere in playoffs with Darnold at QB.

So, should we ever trade out two firsts , a 2nd and 3rd for a top 3 pick again? Maybe perhaps, but not for an unknown talent with little background data. But what if the pick had been Brock? Nope, different deal, in that in Brock we had tons of data at a Big 12 school with 4 yrs of football data, and he started all those games for 4 yrs. That huge stretch for a 1 yr QB who had not played the following yr was a major league stretch based on insufficient data, and we greatly overpaid for it. This is no knock on Trey, but is a knock on John and kyle. We learned a lesson 2 yrs ago…i hope we don't ever have to relearn it again.

Sure it sucks missing out on day one of the draft, but what exactly did we miss out on? Drafting another Javon Kinlaw, getting all hyped and excited about it for the entire off-season, only to be tremendously let down. We have a head coach, and GM, who are not afraid to swing for the fences, and I can't even remember the last time we had a front office who could get us this excited. John Lynch has been aggressive as hell in both free agency on the draft, and I love it. You cannot hit on all draft picks, but especially when we were in the situation we were, it was necessary to take a chance.

The biggest deal is that we still don't even know whether or not it was a good trade. If Trey realizes the potential he was drafted for, it was a home run. If not, it was just another moss on the draft.
The price seems too high in hindsight. But it's easy to be Monday morning QB. They needed a reliable, long term solution for QB. They have always paid big for their guy. I like that willingness to fight to be competitive. It's that attitude that makes winners. It seems to be working out so, no biggie. Only God is omniscient.
Jury is still out but the reality is if you have the roster and are a good QB away from winning it all you make that trade. In general the NFL values draft picks too high. Half of the first round picks don't live up to expectations but yet we act like they are sure fire pro bowlers.

Now in our case hindsight is 20/20. We probably could have got Trey where we were originally picked at but nobody really knows. It's easy to say that now though.

What if we didn't make that trade and stayed with Jimmy? We probably would have been even more desperate in the 2022 draft and reached for Kenny Picket, Desmond Ridder or Malik Willis. May not have picked Purdy later on.

When we made that trade I thought for sure Kyle and Lynch's job were tied to that pick. I thought our future was tied to that pick. It's amazing how things have turned out and how we lucked up.

I still got faith in Trey though.

I don't see a good reason for repeating what so far has been a sketchy return on selling the farm. I believe we have to start drafting QB's more often, so Shanahan can have one or two groomed for success. Purdy's proved so far you don't need a Superman at QB to win consistently. I'm still hopeful Trey can change a lot opinions about him by practicing and playing well 'til Brock's ready to roll. We'll see about Darnold...under now Niner DC Wilks he was playing well for Carolina. All 3 QB's (now 4 with Allen) will hopefully take steps forward with a beefed up OL. Both UDFA's Manning & Fisher have good experience, toughness and play with a distinct attitude we've not seen on the right side for some years. McKivitz has the Niner experience to bolster him. Looking forward to what should be some very tough competition along the OL. Great to see.
Yes. Trading up for Marvin Harrison Jr, much like how the Falcons moved up for Julio. Might even package Aijuk to do it.
Originally posted by lamontb:

At least this one started off being disguised as something else...kinda....
Brandon Aiyuk - Good player, not spectacular. Someone I thought would go in the 2nd round.
Javon Kinlaw - Was a bad pick at the time, made worse with the injuries. Team clearly focused on replacing Buckner, while ignoring better options.
Nick Bosa - Clear choice at our pick. Even the Browns couldn't have screwed that one up.
Mike McGlinchey - Very average starter. Clearly overdrafted, someone I thought should have gone in the 2nd round at best.
Rueben Foster - Absolute horrible pick. And someone they actually considered at #3.
Solomon Thomas - Somehow even worse than the Foster pick. I thought he should be a 3rd round pick. Also passed some major talent that would have fit bigger needs (Lattimore, Adams). I won't include Mahhomes here, because NOBODY at the time thought he should be the #3 pick. He was my favorite QB in that draft, and I got laughed at for saying we should trade up into the 20's to take him.

So based off that history, what do people really think we gave up to get Lance? The player I liked (before the trade) was Patrick Surtain, but we would have had to move up some to get him. I doubt we would have drafted Parsons if we had stayed, the pick probably would have been Mac Jones. Last year my choice would have been Breece Hall (narrowly beating out Christian Watson). That would have kept us from trading for CMC, which would have given us our 2nd and 3rd round picks back this year. I'm not sure who we would have taken there. Maybe Kyler Gordon? Jalen Pitre? This year I don't know who I would have taken, I didn't do a deep dive into the early rounders. Keeanu Benton is who I am thinking though. I'm thinking we would have taken Joey Porter Jr., or maybe an O-lineman.

I just think based on what was available when our picks were made, we didn't lose out on nearly what people think we did.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Now that the excitement, shouting, cheering, the drama, the tenseness, are over, I feel like I sat down to dinner and went away hungry. Not having any picks in rds 1 or 2 and then having 3 comp picks at end of rd 3…just left me flat. Kyle and JL were still relative newcomers to that draft, with only a few behind them. No question they took a talentless team and built it into one that is stacked with 2 NFC appearances, and 1 SB appearance. And they did it in lightning quick time. But they mortgaged the future for a small college QB wtih 1 yr of college ball and 1 yr of no football due to the covid disaster.

Yet in going back over the past week's happenings, somehow i feel we got cheated. By the time we picked, the cupboard was getting bare. It is also true that we really needed a starter OT, plus a starter swing OT, maybe a couple DBs, and perhaps a starter TE. In truth we didn't need much.

But the one glaring weakness, and it is a dilly, is QB. Yes we have a great one in Brock…but he is rehabbing an UCL and nobody knows what he will be left with talentwise, this yr…or next either. This was Trey's yr to shine but we all know what happened there…1 game in he torches his ankle and needs surgery…out for yr. Now going into this season we still have no idea what Trey brings to the table, and we got got the ??? With Brock. So yes, QB is a major league potential problem for us. And no, we aren't going anywhere in playoffs with Darnold at QB.

So, should we ever trade out two firsts , a 2nd and 3rd for a top 3 pick again? Maybe perhaps, but not for an unknown talent with little background data. But what if the pick had been Brock? Nope, different deal, in that in Brock we had tons of data at a Big 12 school with 4 yrs of football data, and he started all those games for 4 yrs. That huge stretch for a 1 yr QB who had not played the following yr was a major league stretch based on insufficient data, and we greatly overpaid for it. This is no knock on Trey, but is a knock on John and kyle. We learned a lesson 2 yrs ago…i hope we don't ever have to relearn it again.

Sure it sucks missing out on day one of the draft, but what exactly did we miss out on? Drafting another Javon Kinlaw, getting all hyped and excited about it for the entire off-season, only to be tremendously let down. We have a head coach, and GM, who are not afraid to swing for the fences, and I can't even remember the last time we had a front office who could get us this excited. John Lynch has been aggressive as hell in both free agency on the draft, and I love it. You cannot hit on all draft picks, but especially when we were in the situation we were, it was necessary to take a chance.

The biggest deal is that we still don't even know whether or not it was a good trade. If Trey realizes the potential he was drafted for, it was a home run. If not, it was just another moss on the draft.

This post kinda gets to a point i felt, but didn't make…and that is how apathetic I , as well as a whole bunch of other 9er fans were about this draft. No, we didn't lose any diehard fans because we had no real good 1st and 2nd day picks in draft but i bet we have a number of fans who were all geared up for a draft that for us, seems like it didn't happen. Yes i would have liked to have had a first and second and third to have been able to trade up for one of the handful of starter OTs out there. With 3 comp picks at end of 3rd rd, that wasn't a possibility, which is a shame.

Hey , like everyone else I am hoping, praying, we snagged a potential starter OT in either draft or UDFA, and JL always seems to bring some good talent into camp after UDFA. But the missing thing in this draft was our absence until those 3 comp picks. We may very well have snagged a helluva Kicker, but that remains to be seen. Much as I liked GOOD as GOULD, $5mil is steep, plus he does have some tread wear on his tires.

I guess, draft is a lot more to being a diehard fan than i realized. It brings hope, excitement , increased desire for the current season to start. It makes all of us hope that guy we moved up for turns out to be the real deal at #28, and gets our attention when his name comes up. There is renewal of hope, yr after yr, most of it generated by those hot new picks in the draft, even if it is only one. And yes, i was bonkers for Reuben , saw him destroy Gruden's chalkboard interview on TV. Hell, he was the "next coming". Great smile, hit like a truck, everything was roses. Right up until it wasn't, When that day came, i got viscerally ill. Never forget it. So, not having a first , 2nd or 3rd except for comps….isn't necessarily nirvana. There can be two edges to any sword.

Considering we had no 1st rd pick last yr either, this yr was worse. I can't wait for next yrs draft, especially if we pick 32nd. It is gambling at its best, and with a Reuben, at its worst. The takeaway for us, hopefully, is that if we ever do this again, it better be with tons of college data, in a 4 yr starter, and not with a leap of faith based on 1 yr in a small college division, with the second yr being a covid void. No way to know for sure, but KS/JL both know now about "reaches", and won't be taken in by one again. Somebody mentioned Mahomes, the best QB in football, better than AR or Brady. But there, there was a couple yrs of football gymnastics on film that were off the chart at a major school, Texas Tech, who played against big time universities. There was no reaching there, yet he still didn't come off til Reid nailed him at #10 or 11. But there was plenty of proof for Mahomes, and that is the takeaway. Don't go nutty with multiple 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick trades unless you have data…PROOF…that makes a multi rd jump up in draft proving that player's worth.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 3, 2023 at 6:27 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone