There are 200 users in the forums

Draft 2023: How'd we do?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Draft 2023: How'd we do?

It was B but with fullback Jack Colletto signing as UDFA it is up to B+.

There is, as usual, some venom in the zone because poster's didn't have their favourites picked. It happens every year yet strangely the team just keep getting better.

There are two main moans, the D line and the O line. I think the team have done quite enough with the D line, with Jason Hargrave, Clelin Ferrell and Robert Beal. Regarding the O line, like everyone else here I don't know what is going on inside. But we have picked up a number in the last year so perhaps they feel that the players available by the time we picked do not represent an improvement on the current roster?

The drafting of a kicker seems to really upset some people. They will get over it. For the umpteenth time, he was the best kicker in the draft and was very likely to go in the 4th, where we had no pick. Probably to the Patriots. With Gould gone, they took him. Probably a very sensible move.

With the strength of our roster this was never going to be a short term draft. That being said I believe that there is real value and a bright future in Beal, Winters, Brown and Bell, not forgetting Colletto. And Moody should start and contribute from day 1.

The draft is a lottery, which shouldn't but frequently is forgotten. With the strength of this roster, we were never going to pick up a load of starters. My aim for the average roster in a draft is to pick up one immediate starter, one who will become a starter with a year to so and two or three depth players, at least one of which will contribute significantly and possibly become a starter in time. And I think we have that here, remarkably with no #1 or 2. Moody is clearly the day 1 starter.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
This is the least successful draft i have seen by us for positional need. These picks can turn into contributors, but we have not used the draft to enhance our ability to pressure the opposition quarterback or protect our quarterback.

After the way our dline faded last year and jimmy brock and our backup got clobbered, these tasks should have been job 1 imo.

Unless there's some magic trick up their sleeve, i cant understand what our brain trust is thinking. It seems bizarre, really.2 bkup tight ends? A top 100 kicker? A wide receiver? We have the best wr room in the nfl. Really?

Im sure some of these guys will work out. But as a team we didn't move forward the way we need for a deep run in 2023. My 2c.

because they addressed this in free agency you dolt
Originally posted by Sanfran_chrisco:

Calling him a dolt is unnecessarily abusive. You could say it was a foolish or incorrect comment but personal attacks are not permitted.
This is the least successful draft i have seen by us for positional need. These picks can turn into contributors, but we have not used the draft to enhance our ability to pressure the opposition quarterback or protect our quarterback.

After the way our dline faded last year and jimmy brock and our backup got clobbered, these tasks should have been job 1 imo.

Unless there's some magic trick up their sleeve, i cant understand what our brain trust is thinking. It seems bizarre, really.2 bkup tight ends? A top 100 kicker? A wide receiver? We have the best wr room in the nfl. Really?

Im sure some of these guys will work out. But as a team we didn't move forward the way we need for a deep run in 2023. My 2c.

Uhm. Come again? Lol
Originally posted by ImRicky:
Uhm. Come again? Lol

He's smoking that good s**t
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
We drafted a kicker inside 100. How good could it be really.

The rest of the picks seem okay.

This regime is a quarterback killer and they didn't draft a single olinemen...

C

It can still be really good with taking a kicker in the top 100.
He was taken in the top 100 because we didn't have a 4th round pick. Mind you, that pick was essentially a 4th rounder as it was at the tail end of the 3rd.
Originally posted by eric_anthony:
Uhm. Come again? Lol

He's smoking that good s**t

1) Bengals
2) Dolphins
3) Seahawks
not sure after that but off the top of my head
I ain't mad at it. We started w/ 99th pick. Next year we get all our picks back and all our draft debts paid. Latu is the one I got pissed about. The rest I'll take it.
I was looking at draft capital and next year it looks like the 49ers will have a much better situation. Cool thing is you got the kicker pick out of the way this year lol
Originally posted by Force_Choke:
I ain't mad at it. We started w/ 99th pick. Next year we get all our picks back and all our draft debts paid. Latu is the one I got pissed about. The rest I'll take it.

I know man I thought they we're going to take Kelee Ringo or Adebawore at the minimum

The third round was strictly for "positional need" of NFL-ready players. All three were starters on top-10 college teams (Penn State was ranked 7th).

Browm was the first safety picked in this draft, so they definitely took the guy they liked best at the position. With that the trade up is justified. Battle went 8 picks later, but the third safety was off the board till the 5th round.
The team needed a kicker, so they took one of the three the NFL thought draft-worthy. After #99 and #101, the next pick was in the late 5th round, with every other teams knowing that Lynch will draft a kicker.
Latu is the worst pick, and definitely a reach, but at a position of need.

I don't see the OL where 3rd-round picks would have immediate impact. OL in general needs time to be NFL-ready, and if the coaching staff did not think that McKivitz/Moore/Zakelj can start at RT, a 30+ year vet would have been signed already. The lack of OL picks also makes th team a preferred UDFA destination.

Of the 5-7th rounders, there's this year's late-round CB, a raw talent DE, the first ILBs Lynch'd drafted since 2019 (because Greenlaw and Al-Shair), a WR who slid to the 7th for reasons that probably won't affect his on-field production, and another TE.

Uhm. Come again? Lol

We have 2 All Pro caliber players, third and juan, and ray ray who made several clutch plays for us. Who's room is better?

I dont want this thread to be an argument thread. I shouldn' t have vented in the opening post. Mistake. I'm going to delete it later today.

My general point is not whether the picks work out but that our two biggest areas of concern going into the draft were d line depth and the right side of the oline, and neither were adequately addressed.

The dline question seems up for debate. We added players in FA. We did a good job getting Hargrave and ferrel . Loved it. But we lost many quality snaps ias well --- Omenihu Ebukam Willis Ridgeway.

Additionally we have two question marks: Jackson who was a healthy scratch after week 9 and Kinlaws knee. In totality i think there is significant uncertainty there. So I feel like we could have devoted more selection there, given the uncertainties.

On oline, I think that there is still competition for starting RG and backup RT we didn't address at all. Not sure why.

We did prioritize 2 tight ends, an early round kicker, a wide receiver and a linebacker instead of providing depth to protect the passer, attack the passer, defend the run and reduce snap count for our a list dline players.

My initial take is that we had some important question marks, didn't address them in the draft, and filled secondary needs instead. Its not about whether the players taken work out but the areas that weren't addressed.

I dont want this thread to be an argument thread. I shouldn' t have vented in the opening post. Mistake. I'm going to delete it later today.

My general point is not whether the picks work out but that our two biggest areas of concern going into the draft were d line depth and the right side of the oline, and neither were adequately addressed.

The dline question seems up for debate. We added players in FA. We did a good job getting Hargrave and ferrel . Loved it. But we lost many quality snaps ias well --- Omenihu Ebukam Willis Ridgeway.

Additionally we have two question marks: Jackson who was a healthy scratch after week 9 and Kinlaws knee. In totality i think there is significant uncertainty there. So I feel like we could have devoted more selection there, given the uncertainties.

On oline, I think that there is still competition for starting RG and backup RT we didn't address at all. Not sure why.

We did prioritize 2 tight ends, an early round kicker, a wide receiver and a linebacker instead of providing depth to protect the passer, attack the passer, defend the run and reduce snap count for our a list dline players.

My initial take is that we had some important question marks, didn't address them in the draft, and filled secondary needs instead. Its not about whether the players taken work out but the areas that weren't addressed.

The O line remains to be seen. The team were busy over the last year and we don't know how player development has gone. As we were picking quite late, maybe there was nothing around better than we already had?

But the D line looks cool to me. We lost some, none of them unexpected. And picked up Hargrave, single-handedly improving the D. Then there is also Ferrell and Beal and Hyder has come back. Cool on this.
it's funny, say we draft an OL with that 2nd 3rd then take Moody on day 3, we'd all have a much higher opinion of this draft.

for me personally, I didn't see this draft as some meaningful we're gonna find a bunch of studs draft. I just didn't see all this top end talent and we we're basically starting out in the 4th rd. I had a feeling we weren't gonna take a OL high (or at all) even though I would have.

im a fan of Ji'Ayir brown, considering where we were drafting it was a quality pick. Targeted him in my mock…dude is an alpha dog. He makes plays. Don't care about the combine numbers.

I like the Bell pick in the 7th. I don't see anything with Latu. Maybe a RZ threat but he doesn't do anything special. Thought that was a reach. He is new to the position overall, so manybe some untapped potential.

Luter was a guy I targeted in my mock as well. I think he's another guy with good instincts that can have a role on this team. Good pick.

I'll be honest I didn't do much on Beal prior to the draft. He's got the physical tools and is that speed rusher you can always use. Could be that Samson role. Like the pick.

I will defer to the Niners at LBer, they seem to know who to target at that position. I think if people paid attention they knew Willis was gonna be a Niner.

overall I give it a C+ based on where we were picking.
Share 49ersWebzone