LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 333 users in the forums

Ronnie Bell-WR-Michigan, 7th Round

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Isn't it funny how none of our receivers could separate when Harbaugh was our coach and here we are drafting a receiver, coached by Harbaugh, who can't separate. Maybe it's Harbaugh and his scheme and not necessarily the players.

It's simply terrible scouting..
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Led Michigan in receiving every year he was out there. Numbers deflated because they are not a passing centered offense or system.

Bell is just a good football player. He's aggressive and you wouldn't have known he was coming off an injury.

I can't really think of an NFL comparison for him, maybe a less thick version of Hines Ward. He's not a blazer but he's definitely much faster than Bourne and Jennings.

Ward was the 1st comp coming to my mind, he's solid AF in the blocking department.

Ferocious blocker, love that. I think we're a good fit for him, he can make the tough catches and I think he's a bit better after the catch than given credit for. Yes, he's not an elite separator, that's why he went later, but he has a good chance to stick as a slot backup and KR backup.

This alone may help him make the 53. I don't know if he'll be active or not. We've got a truckload of guys who will get snaps from the F (slot).

To be perfectly honest, I think one of the last offensive roster spots will be a battle between the bottom depth chart guys at TE and WR. Part of me thinks whoever plays best between those will determine if we keep 4 TE vs. 6 WR.

Same. I did a fringe-take 53 today and that's what's showing in the exercise as well.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 4, 2023 at 1:42 PM ]
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Isn't it funny how none of our receivers could separate when Harbaugh was our coach and here we are drafting a receiver, coached by Harbaugh, who can't separate. Maybe it's Harbaugh and his scheme and not necessarily the players.

It's simply terrible scouting..

Blocking >>>>>> anything else
I don't get the Hines Ward comparison. Hines Ward was a DOG and an incredibly physical, scrappy, smart, even dirty player. Think Draymond Green of the Wide Receivers. He was physical and broke many tackles, was a blocking nightmare and got into many a CB head with physicality borderline dirty blocks and all. He was also a lot bigger than Ronnie Bell. Bell is smoother and relies on quickness and shiftiness way more.

This should be evident just by looking Hines Ward highlights and not even tape. Ward was a possession receiver with crazy intangibles heart concentration and physicality and solid hands and ability to get up and make an occasional contested catch and be physical.

If any player on the Niners reminds me of Ward, it's Jennings
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
I don't get the Hines Ward comparison. Hines Ward was a DOG and an incredibly physical, scrappy, smart, even dirty player. Think Draymond Green of the Wide Receivers. He was physical and broke many tackles, was a blocking nightmare and got into many a CB head with physicality borderline dirty blocks and all. He was also a lot bigger than Ronnie Bell. Bell is smoother and relies on quickness and shiftiness way more.

This should be evident just by looking Hines Ward highlights and not even tape. Ward was a possession receiver with crazy intangibles heart concentration and physicality and solid hands and ability to get up and make an occasional contested catch and be physical.

Bell reminds me of that sorry Paul Williams who was dumb enough to not know the ball was bouncing his way and cost us a Super Bowl appearance ..
Bell reminds me of that sorry Paul Williams who was dumb enough to not know the ball was bouncing his way and cost us a Super Bowl appearance ..

Kyle Williams?
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Juaun Jennings/Kendrick Bourne clone.

They are bigger-more like Trent Taylor type. Slot if he makes the team/. Likely practive squad unless he surprisingly balls out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2YO5an5TXs

Wes Welker, Julian Edleman type, but bigger than them-that's how I see him. Security blanket
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Juaun Jennings/Kendrick Bourne clone.

Agree, that's how it feels like to me.

Jennings replacement next year, learn and develop then play next year

I think it is a great thing he is a Jennings and Bourne clone. If their production can be replicated on a league minimum salary for four seasons, great. He can also return kicks and punts, maybe give ray ray a break on one of the duties.

I almost get an Arnaz Battle vibe from Bell. Given that, maybe he can be a useful player especially since he'd be a 5th or 6th receiver as opposed to a 1 or 2 that Arnaz had to be when he was here.

Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Led Michigan in receiving every year he was out there. Numbers deflated because they are not a passing centered offense or system.

Bell is just a good football player. He's aggressive and you wouldn't have known he was coming off an injury.

I can't really think of an NFL comparison for him, maybe a less thick version of Hines Ward. He's not a blazer but he's definitely much faster than Bourne and Jennings.

Ward was the 1st comp coming to my mind, he's solid AF in the blocking department.

Ferocious blocker, love that. I think we're a good fit for him, he can make the tough catches and I think he's a bit better after the catch than given credit for. Yes, he's not an elite separator, that's why he went later, but he has a good chance to stick as a slot backup and KR backup.

This alone may help him make the 53. I don't know if he'll be active or not. We've got a truckload of guys who will get snaps from the F (slot).

To be perfectly honest, I think one of the last offensive roster spots will be a battle between the bottom depth chart guys at TE and WR. Part of me thinks whoever plays best between those will determine if we keep 4 TE vs. 6 WR.

Same. I did a fringe-take 53 today and that's what's showing in the exercise as well.

If none of them can cut it, shoot, we may just keep 5 running backs lol
As always the health of the roster will determine who makes 53, who goes practice squad, lots of teams will poach from us.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I almost get an Arnaz Battle vibe from Bell. Given that, maybe he can be a useful player especially since he'd be a 5th or 6th receiver as opposed to a 1 or 2 that Arnaz had to be when he was here.
Can bell play quarterback like battle if we need a 3rd or 4th qb in a game? Asking for a friend.

Of the Temptations? I think Paul was long gone by that game.
Isn't it nobody thought of Jennings either after he got drafted. For heaven's sake, this guy is a seventh rounder. If he pans out, it's great, and if he doesn't, he's a seventh rounder.
Share 49ersWebzone