LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

Too early to start thinking about Kittle's replacement?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
There's a good one that could fall to the 3rd round in Michigan tight end Luke Schoonmaker. Discuss.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 26, 2023 at 12:53 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
There's a good one that could fall to the 3rd round in Michigan tight end Luke Schoonmaker. Discuss.
too high for us to use a pick at TE. but i think the team is always looking for players to replace other guys or be just as good.
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Apr 26, 2023 at 12:54 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
too high for us to use a pick at TE. but i think the team is always looking for players to replace other guys or be just as good.

He's special, though and Kittle is going to be 30, this October. I know we have other more important needs, but if we draft him and groom him for the next, 2 or 3 years, that might be when George will be looking for a new contract. At 33, it might be best to move on to something younger. What do you think?
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 26, 2023 at 1:32 PM ]
its not too early but id think he'll have at least 3 more seasons of high level playing
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:
its not too early but id think he'll have at least 3 more seasons of high level playing

Yeah, I agree - and with the way he takes care of his body, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play well into his mid 30's.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 26, 2023 at 1:58 PM ]
I wouldn't necessarily be thinking of a true replacement. More of a starting caliber backup. I wanted us to take advantage of this deep class and draft two tight ends. With 11 picks, I'm still holding onto that dream.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I wouldn't necessarily be thinking of a true replacement. More of a starting caliber backup. I wanted us to take advantage of this deep class and draft two tight ends. With 11 picks, I'm still holding onto that dream.

This kid can definitely fill that role and then take over in tthree years.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 26, 2023 at 2:08 PM ]

Getting ahead of ourselves. We aren't talking about replacing Eric Johnson or Greg Clark (RIP) here.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

He's special, though and Kittle is going to be 30, this October. I know we have other more important needs, but if we draft him and groom him for the next, 2 or 3 years, that might be when George will be looking for a new contract. At 33, it might be best to move on to something younger. What do you think?
I hear ya. I think we have been trying find another TE but like you said, he's one of kind.
Replacement, no. A good backup, hell yeah. I'm tired of Dwelley who can't block and is more of a receiver, whiffing. For a pure blocking TE Woerner has been merely OK. Kroft I thought was solid but how the year ended I figured he'd be gone.

I don't see TE a huge current need like the Edge currently is. I don't see it as an immediate future need unlike Tackle, yet. But it's definitely something they need to explore. Dwelley being re-signed might change that and I don't like the re-signing just because of that lol.

• mayo49
  • Veteran

Getting ahead of ourselves. We aren't talking about replacing Eric Johnson or Greg Clark (RIP) here.

I'm just saying, he'd be more than
a capable backup, until he's ready to take over.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 26, 2023 at 4:32 PM ]

I'm just saying, he'd be more of a capable backup, until he's ready to take over.

I'm saying I don't see Kittle declining so much that a guy drafted this late will be taking over for him. I get your sentiment though. I just want a starting caliber backup, which we can get in this draft, that can block and catch,, and allow us to run more two TE sets as well as extend Kittle's career (move him out wide on more snaps when we run two TEs).
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

I'm just saying, he'd be more of a capable backup, until he's ready to take over.

I'm saying I don't see Kittle declining so much that a guy drafted this late will be taking over for him. I get your sentiment though. I just want a starting caliber backup, which we can get in this draft, that can block and catch,, and allow us to run more two TE sets as well as extend Kittle's career (move him out wide on more snaps when we run two TEs).

This guy would be a 3rd round pick, for a TE, that'd be right around where a good one would go. Kittle was a 5th rounder.
Definitely need a 2nd option at TE with an eye to when Kittle hits free agency. The deferred money approach is going to be an issue in a couple of years with some of the stars leaving in free agency or retiring.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hummbabybear:
Definitely need a 2nd option at TE with an eye to when Kittle hits free agency. The deferred money approach is going to be an issue in a couple of years with some of the stars leaving in free agency or retiring.

I only mention drafting this kid, because he's going to be good.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 26, 2023 at 5:08 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone