There are 235 users in the forums

I personally think Lynch made a mistake at back up qb who would you pick

Shop Find 49ers gear online

I personally think Lynch made a mistake at back up qb who would you pick

• dj43
Originally posted by BOI49er:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by BOI49er:
I seriously doubt that Darnold wasn't promised he'd be able to compete, or I doubt he'd be here, and those incentives in his contract aren't boiler plate. I think it's even money between the two number 3 overall picks who starts week 1, barring an early recovery by Brock. It will come down to who Kyle will trust the most, not who the fans trust the most, and we know Darnold was a draft crush of Kyle's, and we know he'll have Way more experience than Trey, and we know we've never seen him with a top team and Kyle.

I'm sure that was a part of the conversation. He is still too young to relegate himself to a perpetual backup role.

The rumors of Kyle liking Darnold appear to be a thing or he would have settled for someone like Dalton instead.

Kyle made the call, not Lynch...and I'm fine with that. We now have three young, talented guys that will all compete to start when healthy. All three have similar traits and potential. The QB room looks great.

And all three qb's are on cheap contracts. We haven't had a year where our SB prospects looked this good since 1994. We can't risk blowing early games by not playing the guy who gives us the best chance to win just to get someone experience. That has to come organically.

I can't recall a time when there were three such closely positioned QBs in any room and the same time. With Purdy's emergence, we have three guys that experts have ranked as top 10 draft values. So, while none of them have completely fulfilled that evaluation, nonetheless, that is the bounty we have now. We can wish all we want for having the best guy play, but the reality of it is, Trey Lance is the de facto starter and will remain so until events transpire that will make it not so.

We all likely have our favorites but circumstances beyond our control dictate that we accept what we can't control and wait to see where the chips fall. I know that doesn't make for great forum discussion but it is what it is.
I can't recall a time when there were three such closely positioned QBs in any room and the same time. With Purdy's emergence, we have three guys that experts have ranked as top 10 draft values. So, while none of them have completely fulfilled that evaluation, nonetheless, that is the bounty we have now. We can wish all we want for having the best guy play, but the reality of it is, Trey Lance is the de facto starter and will remain so until events transpire that will make it not so.

We all likely have our favorites but circumstances beyond our control dictate that we accept what we can't control and wait to see where the chips fall. I know that doesn't make for great forum discussion but it is what it is.

Ja voll herr kommendandt.

This is a pretty weird post. Especially the part about purdy not fulfilling expectations. What...are you talking about?

Sure trey will play a coupla games. Maybe at the start of the season if purdys elbow is conveniently sore.

Is that what you are referring to as. "De facto starter" ?
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Mar 22, 2023 at 6:00 PM ]
Think there's also a bit of an X factor in play WRT Darnold...and that is Coach Wilks. Sam played well during the resurgence of the team once Wilks took over from Rhule. I'm sure he talked to Shanahan about him and between the two it was a no-brainer to bring Darnold on board.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Ja voll herr kommendandt.

This is a pretty weird post. Especially the part about purdy not fulfilling expectations. What...are you talking about?

Sure trey will play a coupla games. Maybe at the start of the season if purdys elbow is conveniently sore.

Is that what you are referring to as. "De facto starter" ?

Well Purdy's expectations were technically Irrelevant. So yeah he did not fullfil that

Going into camp is Trey is penciled as QB1 with Sam as QB2.

Will have to wait and see where Purdy is when he comes back. The elbow injury is serious. More important is his rehab, not just physically but mentally. Will he comeback where left off? Will he be a one hit wonder?

Funny thing about being penciled in as.....can be easily erased.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Well Purdy's expectations were technically Irrelevant. So yeah he did not fullfil that

Going into camp is Trey is penciled as QB1 with Sam as QB2.

Will have to wait and see where Purdy is when he comes back. The elbow injury is serious. More important is his rehab, not just physically but mentally. Will he comeback where left off? Will he be a one hit wonder?

Funny thing about being penciled in as.....can be easily erased.

I really don't want Brock to be erased 😢 mentally, I am not worried about with him much. Just the dang injury itself. 😕
Share 49ersWebzone