There are 211 users in the forums

I personally think Lynch made a mistake at back up qb who would you pick

Shop Find 49ers gear online

I personally think Lynch made a mistake at back up qb who would you pick

Maybe Gardner did not want to come to SF. I would have been more happy with his 2 year deal compared to Sam Darnolds one
A couple factors here..

It's not JLs mistake. Darnold is a favorite of KS. JL defers to KS on QBs. This is known. You saw Peter King linking Darnold to SF a year ago.

Minshew is beloved on these forums I have noticed, but with two PHI assistants tapped to be HCs, I predicted he would end up in one of those locations and he did.

Darnold was a #3 overall pick, Minshew a 6th rounder.
  • thl408
Darnold was okay with being QB3. Minshew, most likely, was not okay with that. Minshew might even be a stop gap QB1 for IND. Basically it comes down to playing time, and Minshew can get that in IND.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm fine with Darnold, he fits our need.
I doubt Minshew wanted to be 3rd string. I don't see a big difference in their play.
I'm tired of the mullet mustache attention Minshew gets. Didn't he lose his starts in place of Hurts?
[ Edited by Youngone on Mar 21, 2023 at 12:08 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

That means absolutely nothing now.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:

I think he's making a crack.
Originally posted by mayo49:

no crack here folks.. it has to do with cost of acquisition..

for example Minshew was in the 2019 draft.. KS and JL passed on him all day.. they never had any shot at Darnold (2018 draft we took McG at 9), until now, and word is KS really wanted the guy.. moving up from 9 to 3 would have cost a fortune..
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
NOT sure how Darnold is a mistake, he's yet to play a single down for us..

Also, how can he not be better than Grampa Josh?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

no crack here folks.. it has to do with cost of acquisition..

for example Minshew was in the 2019 draft.. KS and JL passed on him all day.. they never had any shot at Darnold (2018 draft we took McG at 9), until now, and word is KS really wanted the guy.. moving up from 9 to 3 would have cost a fortune..

Sorry, I was responding to a different post.
Why is Minshew the only other option? Andy Dalton, Marcus Mariota, Cam Newton we're available as well… just a few examples off the top of my head.

Im fine with Darnold.
Originally posted by thl408:
Darnold was okay with being QB3. Minshew, most likely, was not okay with that. Minshew might even be a stop gap QB1 for IND. Basically it comes down to playing time, and Minshew can get that in IND.

I seriously doubt that Darnold wasn't promised he'd be able to compete, or I doubt he'd be here, and those incentives in his contract aren't boiler plate. I think it's even money between the two number 3 overall picks who starts week 1, barring an early recovery by Brock. It will come down to who Kyle will trust the most, not who the fans trust the most, and we know Darnold was a draft crush of Kyle's, and we know he'll have Way more experience than Trey, and we know we've never seen him with a top team and Kyle.
[ Edited by BOI49er on Mar 21, 2023 at 6:26 PM ]
Didn't Minshew lose the one game he started last year? If he can't win with that Philly team . . .
I trust Shanny on this. Sam Darnold was never in an ideal situation. He is now in the best situation he's ever been in. Elite coaching, teammates and just a great team overall.

I hope we see BP back in action week 1. If not, I will root for Trey to become who he needs to be to lead this team to a title. I really hope Trey has the best camp of his life and is ready to capitalize on what could be his last opportunity in SF.

If Sam actually gets meaningful playing time that will mean that so many things must have already gone wrong at that point. Should we be massacred at QB again I will be rooting for Sam! And if he goes down. CMC, get that helmet on!

Edit grammar
[ Edited by ninerfan818 on Mar 21, 2023 at 8:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone