LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 394 users in the forums

DE Clelin Ferrell

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He's an excellent fit for the system
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by thl408:
Getting Soloman Thomas vibes. Overdrafted (not the player's fault), high character, plays the run well, but can't rush the passer. If he can pitch in as a 1st/2nd down player, that's fine.

Agree

Still, if anyone can make him better - our coaching staff can.

I think Ferrell didn't miss as many games as Thomas did. I watched some of his games during his Clemson days and I think he's got an above average game IQ and a great leader and voice in the locker room. He just needs a perfect coaching staff to put him in a position to be successful. Now, he's going to be under coach K and we'll see how it goes.
Interesting to see what happens.
I thought very highly of him in College, just thought he was Drafted too early and into a poor situation.

Good depth/rotation as a minimum, and could be a pleasant surprise.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Getting Soloman Thomas vibes. Overdrafted (not the player's fault), high character, plays the run well, but can't rush the passer. If he can pitch in as a 1st/2nd down player, that's fine.

This. On our team he may get 5-6 sacks and that's the same production as Ekubam or Omenihu so as long as he's less than 5-6 million it a good signing.

For sure he's less than $5. My guess is $2.

He's banking on the Kocurek factor upping next years contract. As long as he is here as the D Line coach there should be guys like this wanting to play for the Niners every year.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
solid run stopper and good rotational player

Great addition as a 2nd unit DL player

I think we are hoping improvement in pass rush comes from Drake Jackson at DE and Khalia Davis at DT

As long as he doesn't get schooled on screens and quick hitters, it's a double snap.

"Hated ittttt!!!!!"
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This is EXACTLY what I wanted. Hoping he plays inside and out. He came into the league as a little more polished as a pass rusher. We saw Coach K turn Arden Key's career around. Hopefully the same can happen to Ferrell. He may have been overdrafted, but he was always a first round talent.

Not sure about this. Arden Key I feel like had more raw ability. Ferrell had a great college career but his limitations were evident.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Great technician that can play the run well and might be better off playing inside in pass rush downs. Outside on short yardage situations. I think they will find the right spot for him. Though AA is far better,both players due to their athletic ability really shouldn't be playing in space. Put Ferrell in a phone booth, one in one and he can go back to being closer to the player he was in college.

I think he's going to be a career rotational player, which is fine, because this is the perfect place to be that kind of player. Honestly our D line is only missing (IMO) 3 types of players- a Von Miller/Dee Ford type speed rusher, the dominating run stuffer, (DJ Jones), and the inside speed rusher (Arden Key type).

I hope they aim to grab all 3.
Originally posted by 49erF90:

Agree

I think Ferrell didn't miss as many games as Thomas did. I watched some of his games during his Clemson days and I think he's got an above average game IQ and a great leader and voice in the locker room. He just needs a perfect coaching staff to put him in a position to be successful. Now, he's going to be under coach K and we'll see how it goes.

Totally agree. He will fit in great here. Perfect for our squad.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by bigpete50:
Just don't put his locker next to Kinlaw's!

Imagine if Kinlaw and Will Ferrell reviatalize their career together tho? We'd have Bosa, Hargrave, AA, Ferrell and Kinlaw playing up to expectations. That would be a monster DLine. And maybe a Drake Jackson step-up year 2

You must got some good ass shrooms bro. i need some

I just don't think Kinlaw will be healthy enough or play low enough. I have a little faith in Ferrell.
I see him playing base downs to set the edge and Drake on pass rushing down. His pass rush skills are terrible but he's been solid versus the run. He doesn't bend well for a DE

Agree

Imagine if Kinlaw and Will Ferrell reviatalize their career together tho? We'd have Bosa, Hargrave, AA, Ferrell and Kinlaw playing up to expectations. That would be a monster DLine. And maybe a Drake Jackson step-up year 2

I just don't think Kinlaw will be healthy enough or play low enough. I have a little faith in Ferrell.

Agreed. CF can play and contribute. I see Kinlaw as a guy who is just wasting a roster spot.
Agreed. CF can play and contribute. I see Kinlaw as a guy who is just wasting a roster spot.

Not too many one kneed tackles in the nfl.

Originally posted by socal9er42:
Interesting to see what happens.
I thought very highly of him in College, just thought he was Drafted too early and into a poor situation.

Good depth/rotation as a minimum, and could be a pleasant surprise.

I saw him play live at the National Championship Game vs Alabama. He was unstoppable.

hope he can find his niche with us.

Agree

And I'm realistic bro, if Kinlaw didn't improve with K as his position coach for how many now-3 years at least, how much more hope you think you can have.
Called this signing a year ago, now Kocurek will resurrect his career like he did Arden Key. 🤝
Ah yes another ex raider DL who will now become good being coached by KK. If Farrells true potential is tapped and unleashed that'll be bad ass. He was same draft as Bosa IIRC.
[ Edited by ninerjok on Mar 15, 2023 at 8:35 PM ]
Lynch and co. having some f**kin fun!
Share 49ersWebzone