There are 230 users in the forums

DE Clelin Ferrell

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Getting Soloman Thomas vibes. Overdrafted (not the player's fault), high character, plays the run well, but can't rush the passer. If he can pitch in as a 1st/2nd down player, that's fine.

This. On our team he may get 5-6 sacks and that's the same production as Ekubam or Omenihu so as long as he's less than 5-6 million it a good signing.

For sure he's less than $5. My guess is $2.

That's a solid signing then. With this DL and our awesome crackhead DL coach, this signing will be solid

You're thinking of our OL coach, and it's cokehead, not crackhead.

Cocaine and hookers my friend! I just meant that he's always screaming and barking like a crackhead and he always has energy
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Buddy of mine who is a die hard Raider fan said that he is strong against the run, not overly effective at rushing the passer.

that's about to change here !! if he stays healthy, I say easy 12 !!

EZ 12 !!!!

12 sacks??? He would be lucky to get 12 tackles 😂
Originally posted by DrEll:
What's up with these one year signings. If they play well it sets them up for a better contract on a different team. We should be handing out at least 2 year deals. Sheesh

Maybe the player doesn't want a longer deal. A lot of these free agents are getting paid minimal contracts and want a chance to prove themselves so they sign for one year. The teams may not want to lock themselves into anything either if they aren't 100% in on the player. These free agents are free agents because their current team doesn't think they're worth re-signing or they just can't afford them. If Ferrell was more productive with the Raiders they probably wouldn't be letting him go.
Originally posted by fropwns:
New Niner that balled at Clemson (Really I have no f**kin idea who this guy is, but hey, we HAVE GOOGLE)! And he is likely cheap.

He was over drafted, which kind of put him in an impossible situation, he should of been a late first round pick or low second. Def a quality player but couldn't live up to #4 overall and should of never been drafted that high.

he should fit our scheme extremely well. Couple that with our coaching and talent around him, he made a smart career move.
So happy we got him. Now let's get a CB and resign Gould.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Getting Soloman Thomas vibes. Overdrafted (not the player's fault), high character, plays the run well, but can't rush the passer. If he can pitch in as a 1st/2nd down player, that's fine.
Do we play him out of position like we did Solomon?

I don't think it mattered what position Soloman played. The Raiders put Ferrell at DT on some downs since he was ineffective at DE rushing the QB. I'm just reading this, it's not like I've watched Ferrell play.
https://www.thebarkermedia.com/features/the-clelin-ferrell-problem
He is a solid player against the run and fairly active in that regard but there is a massive hole in the young Raider's game made even bigger by the position he plays: Ferrell can't rush the quarterback.The Raiders are clearly aware of this or they would not have played him inside on passing downs. As a matter of fact, there were times Ferrell was not on the field at all in pass rushing situations.

That article is over 2 years old

i was just reading where beat writers thought he played really welll last season and was getting to the QB in a rotational role. Perfect fit for us it seems.

crazy to think 3 years ago 3 raider linemen would all end up on the 49ers

Good point. Trying to find something recent.
https://justblogbaby.com/2023/01/08/raiders-clelin-ferrell-earned-new-deal-las-vegas/amp/
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Maybe he can shine with a better dline cast.

Not they are anywhere close to our dline but the Raiders did have Maxx Crosby and Chandler Jones. Yet he was benched 2/3rds of the year.

I like the signing even if he's a situational player, we just lost some serious depth at DE
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
He's never played with a supporting cast like this, so maybe he shines.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jimrat:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
Buddy of mine who is a die hard Raider fan said that he is strong against the run, not overly effective at rushing the passer.

that's about to change here !! if he stays healthy, I say easy 12 !!

EZ 12 !!!!

12 sacks??? He would be lucky to get 12 tackles 😂

nahhh.. he'll get 7 at the least... 12 easily...

He'll be more relax w/our Defense since he no longer has the live up to that 4th overall pick expectation..

plus, Hargrove will be lining up besides him, so it'll be different..
Originally posted by NYniner85:
What's Hero's thoughts

It's a solid depth signing and just affirms my belief that Kocurek puts a heavy, heavy emphasis on guys that can win with power, play through contact and can stay in their gap/rush lane. Clelin isn't bendy or explosive nor will he look to win around the arc. But he is strong through contact, has an assortment of moves to soften the corner and wins with violent hands. Hopefully, Kocurek simplifying his assignment and allowing him to focus on getting upfield will help unlock his potential.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 15, 2023 at 12:45 PM ]

• JMC52
  • Veteran

This. On our team he may get 5-6 sacks and that's the same production as Ekubam or Omenihu so as long as he's less than 5-6 million it a good signing.

For sure he's less than $5. My guess is $2.

That's a solid signing then. With this DL and our awesome crackhead DL coach, this signing will be solid

You're thinking of our OL coach, and it's cokehead, not crackhead.

Cocaine and hookers my friend! I just meant that he's always screaming and barking like a crackhead and he always has energy

Oh s**t I always assumed it was the coke dude from Miami, I'm dumb.
[ Edited by JMC52 on Mar 15, 2023 at 12:35 PM ]
Some needed depth at least.
1 year deal is fine. I don't expect everyone to turn out like Arden Key. If he just ends up being a run stuffer, then it will be a nice replacement for Ebukam
Low key, I did want the Niners to pick him up. He's a first round talent(just not a high first round) that I'm sure Kocurek can turn this guy's career around.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
I want to know the salary first but I´m not impressed quite frankly.
Losing Ebukam and Omenihu and signing Ferrell is a downgrade for me.
Maybe they know that Drake Jackson will be ready to be the starter opposite Bosa in year 2 I don´t know.
Maybe Armstead will play Base End and someone will play with Hargrave on the inside.
Is Jordan Willis FA?
Share 49ersWebzone