LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

DE Clelin Ferrell

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Dude is going to be a back up coming off the bench...he should improve from what we saw in Vegas, so we'll see what's up. Good signing.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Over drafted and underwhelming. OK for a minimum and prove it deal.

I think everyone knows this by now,...but thanks.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Over drafted and underwhelming. OK for a minimum and prove it deal.

I think everyone knows this by now,...but thanks.

You lost, this thread doesn't say Jimmy G on it!!!!
IMO Key was less spectacular than Ferrell when in Oakland. We will see what we get out of him.
Ferrell seems like a good guy. I liked him coming out, but I never thought he would be better than a consistent 8 sack a year guy. But the Raiders specialty seems to be ruining their draft picks. I don't expect much, he is a good run defender, but at most I think he's getting 4 sacks.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Ferrell seems like a good guy. I liked him coming out, but I never thought he would be better than a consistent 8 sack a year guy. But the Raiders specialty seems to be ruining their draft picks. I don't expect much, he is a good run defender, but at most I think he's getting 4 sacks.

If you really dig back into the archives there were really some posters who wanted Ferrell over Bosa. Now I will go on record and say I didn't say sh*t at the time. I'm not a draft guru. But i'd like to believe there's a reason he was drafted so high. Maybe Kurcurek can pull it out of him
As long as he's good bs the run (which he is and has proven to be) all he would need to do is get 4-5 sacks and he will replace the production that Omenihu/Ekubam had. He may not be as good of a player as they are however he's never had the opportunity to play with the best DL and DL coach in the NFL.

I said the same of Arden Key and he more than replaced prior production and Key was A LOT worse coming in to the niners
[ Edited by elguapo on Mar 17, 2023 at 3:02 PM ]
The Niners have now signed 2 players that were drafted in the first round with picks #3 and #5. Plus they traded for a #8 overall pick last season when the got CMC. I guess that's one way to get high draft picks.
Originally posted by elguapo:
As long as he's good bs the run (which he is and has proven to be) all he would need to do is get 4-5 sacks and he will replace the production that Omenihu/Ekubam had. He may not be as good of a player as they are however he's never had the opportunity to play with the best DL and DL coach in the NFL.

I said the same of Arden Key and he more than replaced prior production and Key was A LOT worse coming in to the niners

I honestly think that he can evolve into being that player..if he's wise he will stay here 2 years. He'll still be on the right side of 30 and will have 2 years in this system. I think 3 sacks out of him would be a win as a backup given that he had 10 in four years. Anything more is bonus.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by elguapo:

I honestly think that he can evolve into being that player..if he's wise he will stay here 2 years. He'll still be on the right side of 30 and will have 2 years in this system. I think 3 sacks out of him would be a win as a backup given that he had 10 in four years. Anything more is bonus.

Very true. He can easily get 3-4 sacks in this systems with these players and coaching. He already good vs the run. The drop off will be less than what people may think. Also, there is still a chance he has a career year like Key had here.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
You lost, this thread doesn't say Jimmy G on it!!!!

Originally posted by Silky:
If you really dig back into the archives there were really some posters who wanted Ferrell over Bosa. Now I will go on record and say I didn't say sh*t at the time. I'm not a draft guru. But i'd like to believe there's a reason he was drafted so high. Maybe Kurcurek can pull it out of him

The general consensus at the time that he was drafted way too high. Still - as you say there's talent there.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
IMO Key was less spectacular than Ferrell when in Oakland. We will see what we get out of him.

True but he doesn't have the athleticism or bend that Key has. Hopefully they can teach him how to get pass guards like Key was able too.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

True but he doesn't have the athleticism or bend that Key has. Hopefully they can teach him how to get pass guards like Key was able too.

The same way that Key does not have Ferrell's power and great ability to stop the run and set the edge.

Share 49ersWebzone