LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

I don't like 1 year signings

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
OP is a player hater
It looks like 3 out of 7 signings are for one year. I'm sure they have their reasons.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
If we lose them in free agency, we get a draft pick potentially anyways though. Without having do any work looking for a trading partner and keeping the cap benefit of the one year deal.

Nice OTC, was just about to post that our comp pick gathering has been elite, and this helps.

As for the D-Line we'll just grab the next one, Koceruk deserves a lot of credit, but playing on the same line as Bosa can't hurt.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fryet:
The latest has been Sam Darnold, however I have noticed a 49er trend of lots of 1 year contracts on players, especially on the DL. A 1 year contract is entirely to the benefit of the player. They get 1 year on a great 49er team to pad their resume, and then move on to a big payday somewhere else. If it was a 2 year contract, the 49ers could play the player for 1 year, and then trade them for a pick in the second year. I wouldn't even care if there was a large pay increase in the second year of the contract (so long as it isn't guaranteed). If the player plays well in the first year, then the 49ers can still trade them. If they play poorly, the 49ers can just cut them.

My only exception to this would be for players already on the team. They have already given the 49ers multiple years, and the 49ers passed on trading them before their contract ran out. If the player is coming off injury, for example, giving a 1 year contract is fair.

A one year contract also benefits the club, because if gives them a chance to see how he does and if he's a good player, they had have a head start in extended him.
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
It looks like 3 out of 7 signings are for one year. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Flexibility.
Originally posted by thl408:
It's for cap flexibility. Give the multiyear deals to core players.

This.

Originally posted by thl408:
It's for cap flexibility. Give the multiyear deals to core players.

I'll post it since no one else has, but I think what people are really missing here is the comp pick game we are CLEARLY playing and taking advantage of since -- to my knowledge -- the guys you lose in FA did not need to play for you any more than a season for you to be rewarded a comp pick.

e.g.,.... signing 1 guy to fill in for 2 years then gets a major contract elsewhere gets you one 3rd rounder. But getting 2 guys on 1-year contracts fill in in the same fashion would net you two 3rd rounders, and 2 > 1.

Just a comparison for arguments' sake, but the true key to the treasure chest will always be found in draft picks so long as CBA and the salary cap stays as is.

In 2022, the league awarded 39 compensatory picks to 16 different teams. The year before, 36 compensatory picks were handed out to 17 clubs.

However, no team can receive more than four picks per draft. If a team still qualifies for more than four compensatory picks following calculations, they will be awarded the four highest remaining selections.

If 4 is the limit I think it's pretty apparent that we're gunning for 4 every single year.
[ Edited by random49er on Mar 19, 2023 at 8:19 PM ]
Originally posted by fryet:
The latest has been Sam Darnold, however I have noticed a 49er trend of lots of 1 year contracts on players, especially on the DL. A 1 year contract is entirely to the benefit of the player. They get 1 year on a great 49er team to pad their resume, and then move on to a big payday somewhere else. If it was a 2 year contract, the 49ers could play the player for 1 year, and then trade them for a pick in the second year. I wouldn't even care if there was a large pay increase in the second year of the contract (so long as it isn't guaranteed). If the player plays well in the first year, then the 49ers can still trade them. If they play poorly, the 49ers can just cut them.

My only exception to this would be for players already on the team. They have already given the 49ers multiple years, and the 49ers passed on trading them before their contract ran out. If the player is coming off injury, for example, giving a 1 year contract is fair.

The 49ers are building one of the best reputations among players. We're patient with injuries, we treat players well in all facets, we are trying to win the SB every year, and we don't do stupid stuff with players careers. Far better to play the compensatory system imo.
Share 49ersWebzone