There are 143 users in the forums

QB Sam Darnold is a Viking

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Lol no. Not unless he cuts his turnover to game ratio by about 65%.

Heres the thing though. We know by now shanny HATES superstar qbs who go for the big play. He wants game manager qbs who can execute the safe play, take time off the clock, and get at least 3 points after 4 to 6 minutes.

Darnold is a young guy with athletic talent who wants to prove he can do it all, make the big play, get the big contract he rightfully deserves (now that hes not playing for bottom feeders).

So, I see two trains coming at each other. Not sure Darnold is mature enough to switch tracks. We shall see.

The 2nd paragraph of this.post is the exact opposite of the actual truth.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think we're going to re-sign Darnold to maybe a 3-year extension and make him Brocks primary backup, with Trey moving on in '24.
I'm going to post something here some are going to get pissed off at because it doesn't go with what they think...BUT I think Sam Darnold has a breakout year and this is why... Yeah he got drafted 3rd overall and sucked as a Jet BUT did you ever stop and think...Hey you know when you get drafted 3rd overall unless there was a trade to get that pick that the player is going to a CRAPPY team with not much talent? (Only player in recent memory to me going super high was Nick Bosa #2 BECAUSE the WHOLE DAMN Team was injured in 2018 BUT The Niners had a VERY Good team IF they were healthy). So for people to think 1 guy out of 22 starters is going to take them to the playoffs.... Good Luck. I remember people were BASHING the team for taking A Smith over A Rodgers well could it be Rodgers was like pick 15 or something like that so he went to a decent team then he got to sit for a year and figure things out while A Smith was thrown into the Fire Not saying Alex Smith was a great QB or anything but with the coaching staff and the team they had Aaron Rodgers would NOT have saved that LOUSY 49ers team... Now IF Darnold gets his chance to play for the 49ers this is going to be the 1st time he plays with an Offense this good he's NEVER Had a Kittle, Aiyuk, Samuel pass catching threat in the NFL like he has now... While he has had CMC as a runner I think he does a good job...Just remember I'm saying this BEFORE the season so if that happens i can say SEE Give the guy a F*&$ING chance before you judge him as a failure. Seriously how many people here predicted that Geno Smith would have the Seahawks winning last year take out the 49ers and he's 9 and 6 with the Seahawks.... Darnold is someone that has the size and some speed to get away from a pass rush he also has an arm that can throw the deep ball As Much as I liked Jimmy G he never had that arm to go deep successfully like Darnold can with these Wideouts and maybe he and Danny Gray can connect on some deep routes.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Herbert has had Anthony Lynn and Brandon Staley yet everyone knows he's a stud QB. Stud QB talent finds a way to show itself regardless of the situation. This isn't old-school NFL where prospects can get overlooked to the degree they did in the day. There aren't any Steve Young stories in this modern era of the NFL. This is the era of information and the information that TWO teams in desperate need of a QB have on Darnold is that he's not that guy. Any 49ers fans getting their hopes up that Darnold is anything more than what he's already shown are naive fools imo.

LOL Herbert Has Eckler and K Allen and M Williams WHEN Has Sam Darnold had that ?????? Sorry BUT That's a Foolish statement....as for Steve Young he was Great when he came to the 49ers and it took him time to get there he WASN'T that Great when he entered the league with Tampa Bay. And While Im NOT Compairing Sam Darnold to Peyton Manning Look at how good Manning was as a QB when he 1st started Ohhh and he had a guy named Marvin Harrison to throw too but the 1st 3 years of Peyton's career was NOT HOF....
[ Edited by SashRoxx-1 on Apr 1, 2023 at 7:49 AM ]
I agree that Darnold makes many of his mistakes because he tires to make the big play or do too much. That's a hard habit to break. Walsh worked a lot with Young until he finally realized that it was better to pass than run or hit the open receiver instead of trying to squeeze every pass into a tight window. Can Griese do that with Darnold? I don't know but if he can Darnold could be a decent QB.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I think we're going to re-sign Darnold to maybe a 3-year extension and make him Brocks primary backup, with Trey moving on in '24.

In my perfect world, Trey turns out to be a FQB and Brock continues to look as he did in 2022. Ideally, I'd love Darnold as a long term backup and either Brock or Trey as the longterm starter past 2024. I think Trey will make some good plays and some wow plays. He also has the bigger arm, but can he move the ball and manage the offense well enough (consistently) because Brock can do some things with his leg as well and can make big plays on top of keeping the offense churning. In short, the areas where Trey is ahead, he isn't so far ahead that Brock can't make up the difference, whereas the areas where Brock is ahead, he's seemingly far ahead. I don't see a bad ending to this either way however. Given the talent of the starter and primary backup, preseason should be fun.
The Jets organization has proven one thing in the past few decades, they have no idea or plan to develop an NFL QB. They have had many first time coaches that were not prepared to run a franchise. Now Darnold has a coach with a proven record, will he flourish?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

In my perfect world, Trey turns out to be a FQB and Brock continues to look as he did in 2022. Ideally, I'd love Darnold as a long term backup and either Brock or Trey as the longterm starter past 2024. I think Trey will make some good plays and some wow plays. He also has the bigger arm, but can he move the ball and manage the offense well enough (consistently) because Brock can do some things with his leg as well and can make big plays on top of keeping the offense churning. In short, the areas where Trey is ahead, he isn't so far ahead that Brock can't make up the difference, whereas the areas where Brock is ahead, he's seemingly far ahead. I don't see a bad ending to this either way however. Given the talent of the starter and primary backup, preseason should be fun.

Yeah, agree.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Yeah, agree.

Where would you say Lance is ahead of Brock? In which ways? Serious question. I'm curious.

Darnold has an excuse that Lance hasn't, which is he's been playing for crap organizations with sub par talent and coaching. He has played bad though but darnold has great physical talent - he's much more athletic than I think most people realize. This is a unique situation because you don't usually see someone with his talent and youth relegated to 3rd string, even when they've played poorly. That's why I think there is more to this than we all realize yet.

now Lance has the excuse of injuries, which are legitimate. It'll be very interesting to see how they look in camp against each other. Obviously Lance has the leg up but it should make them both better. I'm super curious how Purdy participates In camp this year.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Apr 1, 2023 at 12:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Luckycharms:
I don't see how people could be mad at this signing? Darnold is an ideal backup and he's young still. If for some reason Darnold had to play the whole season I think we can win atleast 10 games with him. I don't see the reason to bash every other QB on our roster. Let's hope they are all healthy come week 1 and remain that way the whole season and let the best QB win

Heres the thing though. We know by now shanny HATES superstar qbs who go for the big play. He wants game manager qbs who can execute the safe play, take time off the clock, and get at least 3 points after 4 to 6 minutes.

Darnold is a young guy with athletic talent who wants to prove he can do it all, make the big play, get the big contract he rightfully deserves (now that hes not playing for bottom feeders).

So, I see two trains coming at each other. Not sure Darnold is mature enough to switch tracks. We shall see.

We definitely don't know that, because he straight up said last year when Brock was taking those very chances that he likes a QB who takes the deep shot like Brock does (he said this specifically talking about Brock).

He wants his QBs to be aggressive when there is an aggressive play to be made. Case in point:

Question: Is that what you liked in the preseason, that aggressive way that he operates, runs the offense?
"I like when a play is there that guys aren't scared to make it. They don't hesitate. They don't take a second look at it. They let it rip and they worry about it after. A lot of guys who guess do that too, so you have to find out whether they're being aggressive or just if they're deciding then to do it or if they're deciding on Wednesday and then that's a big difference, but Brock has been very good with it. He can explain what he sees and that's why we got a lot of confidence in him."
[...]
"Nate [Sudfeld] and [QB] Trey [Lance] got the majority of them, and Brock would get about two-to-four a day, whatever that was at the time. And when he went in, he was just so aggressive in all his decisions. He didn't know a lot at first, but whatever he knew, he applied it and did it aggressively and never hesitated. And whenever you can see that clear, aggressive type of play in a quarterback, early on it was impressive and the more he has learned, I still feel like it hasn't taken away from him."

[...]
"I love the attitude. You'd always take the longer one, chicks dig the long ball and there's a reason for that. It's a lot more fun and easier and that's why I like the mentality of Brock, but if you go out there looking for that every single time, you're going to learn the hard way, so you have to be aggressive, attack what they give you, never hesitate to go if they give you that one, but you can ride with a guy with that type of mentality, that type of attitude, but you don't want people being stupid and decided on Wednesday where they're going with that ball"

So yeah, no, Shanahan is not into short passes to run out that clock as a strategy. That was about GAROPPOLO'S strengths and weaknesses, and this was one of the most common Jimmyxcuses for why he didn't throw the ball down the field as much as Trey, or Brock, or even CJ Beathard. Shanahan's strategy is to punish the defense, and take whatever they are giving. If the deep ball is there, he wants the QB to take it. If it's not, he doesn't want the QB to force it. It's not that complicated. He doesn't want conservative play until it's time to run out the clock. What he wants is to punish the defense precisely in the theoretical weakness that that defense presents on a play to play basis.

(edited to put Shanahan quotes in a quotebox for readability)
[ Edited by 5_Golden_Rings on Apr 2, 2023 at 10:11 AM ]

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

The 2nd paragraph of this.post is the exact opposite of the actual truth.

possibly, but the first paragraph is true.
I'd like to see him run this offense, summer and preseason stuff should be fun
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I'd like to see him run this offense, summer and preseason stuff should be fun

give Shanny some time to coach him up... Sammy wins the job unless BCB can't go week 1 or we trade for Cousins
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
give Shanny some time to coach him up... Sammy wins the job unless BCB can't go week 1 or we trade for Cousins

TBH, I'd rather see what Darnold has than trade for Cousins. And this is coming from someone who wanted Cousins before.
Share 49ersWebzone